Is Sydney safe for international students? (1 Viewer)

superchargedmr2

HSC
I've been reading some news reports about violence and harassment against international students in Sydney. Particular races affected seem to be Indians and some others. I'd like to come to Sydney to study with a friend (I'm caucasian-Canadian, he's Indian-Canadian) but I'm concerned about "random" attacks etc. Can anyone shed some light on day-to-day life at the university of Sydney and its surrounding areas? Oh and please don't sugarcoat how things really are, I want honest, realistic responses please

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
TBH I thought they found that most of the Indian students who had been bashed, had been bashed by other Indian students.

And the bashings were in Melbourne anyway.

I think there might be a slightly higher incidence of Indian students getting rolled, but that's mostly because they're not being street smart. If I walked around Redfern at night with my laptop bag and ipod, I'd get rolled too.

pman

Banned
HSC
really, you should be fine, its mainly melbourne that has the problem and some of the stories are complete fabrications, one idiot accidently set himself on fire then claimed it was a racist attack.

TBH I thought they found that most of the Indian students who had been bashed, had been bashed by other Indian students.

And the bashings were in Melbourne anyway.

I think there might be a slightly higher incidence of Indian students getting rolled, but that's mostly because they're not being street smart. If I walked around Redfern at night with my laptop bag and ipod, I'd get rolled too.
this too

idling fire

HSC
Lots of my friends are Indians, in my course and courses doing the same subjects. Most of them have lived in Australia for a few years now but there's at least one of them who's an international student. None of them have had any trouble with harassment at all.
The area around USYD is fine, although just at night you don't want to walk through Redfern on your own while looking clueless.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
You may be a troll, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt for now.........

dude, if you actually read the real facts on those bashings this is what happened:

- Indian students go to near empty train stations in low socio economic areas at late night.

-Some sickos (mainly, and I don't mean it in a racist way, but mainly Lebanese) hang around to wait for easy prey.

-They see a few isolated foreign students, probably carrying wallets and phones and as a gang, set out onto their easy prey, bash and rob them.

Furthermore, some more recent bashings of Indian students were by other Indians over their own community/domestic issues. I'm sure if you and your firned play it safe you'll be fine :) .

JohnMcGee

Banned
HSC
the reason why people dont like indians is because generally, they're rude. if your friend is not rude, he will get along with people, and all will be good.

superchargedmr2

HSC
You may be a troll, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt for now.........

dude, if you actually read the real facts on those bashings this is what happened:

- Indian students go to near empty train stations in low socio economic areas at late night.

-Some sickos (mainly, and I don't mean it in a racist way, but mainly Lebanese) hang around to wait for easy prey.

-They see a few isolated foreign students, probably carrying wallets and phones and as a gang, set out onto their easy prey, bash and rob them.

Furthermore, some more recent bashings of Indian students were by other Indians over their own community/domestic issues. I'm sure if you and your firned play it safe you'll be fine :) .
I was just looking for some perspective from ppl that actually live in Sydney seeing as how I live in Canada I'm not going to fly across the world to do personal investigating. thanks for the response though

superchargedmr2

HSC
the reason why people dont like indians is because generally, they're rude. if your friend is not rude, he will get along with people, and all will be good.
lol you mean they don't like rude people in Australia either?? Wow I'll feel right at home

chuha

HSC
N/A
If your friend is from canada i think he'll be fine.
It's usually international students from india that have problems
basically because they think they're on top of the world. Canadian-Indian's
are civilised....he'll be fine lol.

superchargedmr2

HSC
If your friend is from canada i think he'll be fine.
It's usually international students from india that have problems
basically because they think they're on top of the world. Canadian-Indian's
are civilised....he'll be fine lol.
Yeah we're both first generation Canadians. So I take it there's not really any harassment just on the basis of skin colour then?

superchargedmr2

HSC
NO FOB.
We will rob you, beat you and leave you for dead.
Your Government will issue a warning to all students considering studying in Sydney.
They will tell you that we don't care about you.
This is true.
troll

assiduous

HSC
Dude, you are a guy, what kind of a guy are you, to be worried about these things?

superchargedmr2

HSC
Dude, you are a guy, what kind of a guy are you, to be worried about these things?
Okay there E-thug. I'm just trying to get an idea about living in Sydney that's all. Like I said I live in a different part of the world so all I have to go by is what I read on the internet for now. I'm not trying to spark any debate or offend any Aussies alright.

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
Its pretty safe imo. You both speak english so you should just blend right in anyway.
Personally, i wouldnt rent accomodation in Redfern though.

pman

Banned
HSC
like every city, we have places you don't want to be after dark, if you do ur reasearch and find out where these places are, you'll be fine, the indians aren't bothering to do this and thats why they seem to be targeted

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Come to UNSW if you're worried, we love our internationals.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)