Is the internal assessment mark really important? (1 Viewer)

The Savior

HSC
I read that board of studies only really cares about your rank within the cohort and the difference between you and the next person. is that true?
Say if I ranked first in my cohort for both the internal assessments and hsc exam for chemistry with 70% internal mark and 90 hsc exam mark, does that mean my internal goes to 90? So effectively, I would end up with an overall hsc mark of 90.
This would mean that my internal mark doesn't matter too much as long as I rank first for both internal and hsc.
Can anyone confirm the validity of my ramble please? :)

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
Yeah internal doesn't matter if you're first. So try and be first (if you're at a badly ranked school) so you'll get the highest exam mark as your internal.

If you're not first then internals matter a lot.

photastic

HSC
Tbh, the mark in some perspective is important because it represents your ranking with your school's cohort. The mark gets moderated based on your rank and the school's performance for the external mark. So in your case, if your 70 mark matches your rank with that 90 mark, yes the 70 is moderated to 90. This is why being rank 1 is important, because you keep the highest mark earnt by your school and your actual performance for the hsc exam is averaged with it. Also if you are the only student in the class, get 100 at school, don't sit the exam because they assume you get 100. As a result 1ST IN THE STATE!!!

Also if you have not watched the below video, I suggest you do.

Last edited:

sy37

HSC
What if your internal mark is 69/100, but first is 70/100.

Then you get 95 external, and first gets 90 external. Will you get 90 and he 95?

photastic

HSC

Then you get 95 external, and first gets 90 external. Will you get 90 and he 95?
He will definitely keep 95 assuming you are second and hes still first. However, your moderated mark due to virtually a gap of 1 would be 93-95 depending on the ranks below you, however if you and first are outliers you would most likely not be dragged down.
So he would keep his 90 (exam mark) and your 95 (assessment mark) = 93 (Hsc mark)
However you keep 95 (exam mark) and moderated 93-95 (Assessment mark) = 94-95 (Hsc mark)

Librah

Not_the_pad
HSC
I read that board of studies only really cares about your rank within the cohort and the difference between you and the next person. is that true?
Say if I ranked first in my cohort for both the internal assessments and hsc exam for chemistry with 70% internal mark and 90 hsc exam mark, does that mean my internal goes to 90? So effectively, I would end up with an overall hsc mark of 90.
This would mean that my internal mark doesn't matter too much as long as I rank first for both internal and hsc.
Can anyone confirm the validity of my ramble please? :)
Yes.

Depends how the rest of your cohort did. In a class of 6 for MX1, i got 91 raw, friend with 93 raw (2 mark gap). I got 94 in externals and he got 98. I ended up with 94 assessment while he remained 98 (4 mark gap). This is because the rest of the class didn't do so well externally with pretty good internal raw marks.

Last edited:

royalgoyal

HSC
internal is important try your best and rank as high as possible and then you should be fine

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)