Is the School Cert important? (1 Viewer)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
If you put in work, you could easily get straight Band 6's. I didn't do work and got two high Band 5's and rest were high Band 6's.

Protract

HSC
But I think it is too late. I haven't listened much in class; and the only thing I can do for studying is do past papers.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
But I think it is too late. I haven't listened much in class; and the only thing I can do for studying is do past papers.
No it isn't. I don't think you want it as much as you want to breathe. You have to want it.

Protract

HSC
But I don't really "want it." I mean, it'd be nice to do well, but half of that stuff I won't be looking at again.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
But I don't really "want it." I mean, it'd be nice to do well, but half of that stuff I won't be looking at again.
Focus on the concepts. Then maybe get a head start on Year 11 work.

tambam

HSC
How is it too late? School cert is after hsc right? Even for hsc you can learn the whole years worth of stuff in 2 weeks.
Just find some good notes online, i think there was this site called skwirk i used in year 10, has everything especially for history/geo- read them a few times and you're set!

And school cert COULD be important, i just applied for accounting cadetships and one of the applications asked for school cert results, so if you want to think about stuff like that, then you might want to get a decent result

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
While some people are stressing about the actual School Cert, I'm stressing about my SC Trials which actually count more than the SC itself...

OmmU

★ BoS Deity ★
HSC
Uni Grad
I only studied a few hours the night before the exam and went pretty good. It isn't very important if you plan to finish the HSC.

benji_10

HSC
Deja vu...

Every year, without fail, this thread pops up. And every year, the responses/reactions to the question "Is the SC important?" are the same; derision and mocking in general.

And I agree to a large extent. The SC exam is required for the HSC. If you don't do it, then you can't do the HSC. But other than that, it's a pointless test, because the outcome of the test doesn't affect your eligibility for HSC. Also, as a heads up, SC results (prefs all band 6) could get you into a better school. That's how I got into a higher ranked school.
But by all means, take it seriously. No harm in that :D

Protract

HSC
How is it too late? School cert is after hsc right? Even for hsc you can learn the whole years worth of stuff in 2 weeks.
Just find some good notes online, i think there was this site called skwirk i used in year 10, has everything especially for history/geo- read them a few times and you're set!

And school cert COULD be important, i just applied for accounting cadetships and one of the applications asked for school cert results, so if you want to think about stuff like that, then you might want to get a decent result
Can you please give me the link to that website? I would be really grateful....thanks.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Can I just say that at my school - the School Certificate allowed the school to recommend the levels of English and Maths we were to take. Other than that... it was basically nothing, iirc.

tambam

HSC
Can you please give me the link to that website? I would be really grateful....thanks.
Here you go, all you'll ever need for year 10: http://www.skwirk.com.au/p-y

Also, occasionally it will tell you your preview is over or some rubbish, in which case just delete your browser cookies and it will work again.

Last edited:

Protract

HSC
Thanks a lot. I know its pointless but you always want to do well to ensure you are on the right track.

anne1010

HSC
I know that but apparently Geography is important and I need it in life. URGHH, even though I am not doing it next year, I hate it, they say I have to get at least 70% in all the non-important subjects. WHY?
lol the sc is the biggest joke. dont study. honestly. i didnt even open my geo or hist book and managed to get a band 5 in both.
sc study should consist of flicking through ur book science book the weekend before and u will be more then fine

anne1010

HSC
Can I just say that at my school - the School Certificate allowed the school to recommend the levels of English and Maths we were to take. Other than that... it was basically nothing, iirc.
our school took our year 10 half yearlies since subject selection is around that time. if u didnt get offered a subject u could appeal it with the basis of good sc results in that field

Protract

HSC
Do you have to subscribe and are you sure it's going to help and they're going to ask all of that in the School Cert?

tambam

HSC
Naah, delete your browser cookies if you get that thing where the old man tells you to subscribe, then refresh the page.

And yes, if you don't know anything, then it will help.
But if you aren't bothered to learn it properly, just read the dot point summaries for each section to get the important stuff.
Eg. http://www.skwirk.com.au/p-t_s-14_u...-of-the-century/nsw/history/australia-to-1914
For School Cert History + Geo actually require a fair bit of knowledge from memory, more than science, maths, english etc.

But your aim in year 10 should just be to make sure you can do maths cos its an important foundation for HSC, and to develop your english essay writing skills. Everything else you learn and do is pretty pointless.

*Wait, actually i think its the yr9 & 10 course combined, which i don't think you need both for history+geo, but science and maths you do. So just refer to the syllabus for what you need

Last edited:

crimson_delight

HSC
Generally saying, no. Just enjoy life while you can, and then in year 12 you can start worrying about study. Honestly, it was the biggest drain of my energy putting so much effort into year 10 and 11 only to realise that none of it really matters. :/

erob

HSC
Uni Grad
Geography is bullshit. I got 30% in my normal school exam because I didn't go to the excursion that the whole year was meant to attend, but in the school certificate I got 89%.

Maths - 84%/B7
English - 97%/A
History - 100%/A
Science - 90%/A
Geography - 89%/C
Computing Skills - 94%/Highly competent

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)