is the UAI getting progressively lower year by year? (1 Viewer)

particle1

HSC
i was just on SAM and filled in some of the marks i hope to get and even as i changed them around, made them higher/lower etc. i noticed one thing... my mark would have been the highest in 2001...

every time, my lowest mark was 2003, followed by 2002 then 2001...

does that mean the UAI is getting progressively lower year by year? or is it just a coincidence? has anyone else noticed that?

if this is true, this is BAD NEWS, unless the entry marks for uni lower at the same time...

can anyone shed any light on this please?

santaslayer

HSC
dependent on the candititure in each year..uais are a ranking system. the highest uai is always 100 whilst 30 is the lowest (published) uais dont become lower or higher by themselves

A l

HSC
N/A
The UAIs appear to be becoming progressively lower every year with the same marks. They do not always have to decrease with the same marks every year, it depends on the performance of the candidature.
The typical trend that is happening at the moment is that there are more students that are getting access to higher marks every year. So the same marks may place you in a rank higher in previous years, but they won't land on the same rank every year because higher marks are required to access that same rank since more students are obtaining the higher mark ranges every successive year.

santaslayer

HSC
People don't get smarter all of a sudden. The problem lies within yourself. Think of it as your inability to keep up to the standard of that particular year. UAI's don't get "lower". :)

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
higher marks and band 5/6 just becomes more and more mediocre as they make the hsc easier and easier.

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
For me whatever marks I put in usually yields that 2003 UAI is slightly higher than 2002 UAI, however 2001 UAI is higher than both. So it's not a definite trend. It depends on your subjects and the performance of people in those subjects relative to everyone else. Who knows... if you're smart and generally people this year aren't, you'll end up with a higher UAI. However, vice versa also applies.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Dumsum said:
For me whatever marks I put in usually yields that 2003 UAI is slightly higher than 2002 UAI, however 2001 UAI is higher than both. So it's not a definite trend. It depends on your subjects and the performance of people in those subjects relative to everyone else. Who knows... if you're smart and generally people this year aren't, you'll end up with a higher UAI. However, vice versa also applies.
yes, it depends on your subjects.

particle1

HSC
Hmmm ok. well i guess that all makes some sense but it is still really annoying because at this rate i will miss out on getting into my course by anywhere between 0.05-2.00 marks... but then i guess if everyone else is in the same boat the entry marks for each course will change accordingly...
i suppose i had better buckle down and hope for the best :)

PS. good luck class of 2005!!

fakingtheday

HSC
another thing to acknowledge is how the BOS readily explains their ranking system. Although this helped me achieve what i needed to do and do the least amount possible and still do well, in the perfect world they should perhaps keep people in the dark and make them do the best they can.

sarahn

HSC
if youre worried about the "decreasing UAI" phenomenon, have a look at the UAC website - look at the reports on scaling and HSC marks, and you'll see that theyre giving out more band 6 results every year - whether this means we're getting "smarter" or the board are dropping standards (anecdotally, id suggest its the latter), im not sure, but it certainly explains what youre finding with SAM...

just chill & good luck on friday! :)

nedzelic

HSC
sarahn said:
if youre worried about the "decreasing UAI" phenomenon, have a look at the UAC website - look at the reports on scaling and HSC marks, and you'll see that theyre giving out more band 6 results every year - whether this means we're getting "smarter" or the board are dropping standards (anecdotally, id suggest its the latter), im not sure, but it certainly explains what youre finding with SAM...

just chill & good luck on friday! :)
yeah, we're defintely not getting smarter

mattplaysguitar

HSC
well SAM has problems and so do these predictions of taking 1.3 off the 2004 mark cause i was predicted at 94.95 in 2004 but i got 95.80!!!! so stoked!!

EATAPIE

BMW>>>>Mercedes (see sig)
HSC
particle1 said:
i was just on SAM and filled in some of the marks i hope to get and even as i changed them around, made them higher/lower etc. i noticed one thing... my mark would have been the highest in 2001...

every time, my lowest mark was 2003, followed by 2002 then 2001...

does that mean the UAI is getting progressively lower year by year? or is it just a coincidence? has anyone else noticed that?

if this is true, this is BAD NEWS, unless the entry marks for uni lower at the same time...

can anyone shed any light on this please?
because as the HSC progresses, there are more study guides, and ppl understand more how the syllabus works and so on, so thats why the same marks will gather lower UAI's.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
It's because the board progressively increases the marks for subjects to make it look like they're doing a good job.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)