• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Is this a good P.I.P idea? (1 Viewer)

RenegadeReturns

HSC
Hey all, as you can see held off an idea for a very long time since its really hard to come up with something good.

anyway here is my idea

Piracy creating an internet culture. or something along those lines
this would be split up into chapters along the lines of
- how common it is and how it can be seen as expression or art, the role it has played in globalisation.
- miss interpretations due to media or big companies words and threats (such as sopa, pipa and acta)
- how it may affect all of society as we know it if enforced piracy laws. eg. sites like youtube, facebook, etc may be shut down.
- noone should own that much power over the internet.

yes the chapters arnt completely thought through and i am sure their are many implications but i would like to hear your feedback.
if their are any suggestions please let me know :)

avro

HSC
You'll have to consider the ethical dilemmas associated with this topic. You'd have to be careful with your primary and secondary research, because you are dealing with something that is against the law. In order to answer how common it is, you could probably find statistics which detail the percentage of illegal downloads per year etc, but you couldn't exactly interview something and be like "hey, how often do you pirate movies and music?"

RenegadeReturns

HSC
with the ethical dilemma, are you sure that could affect the outcome? i went to the state library and read one of the top pips about street art and id assume this would have the same elements in the case of the law being a problem.

pony_magician

townie for worst user
HSC
Hey all, as you can see held off an idea for a very long time since its really hard to come up with something good.

anyway here is my idea

Piracy creating an internet culture. or something along those lines
this would be split up into chapters along the lines of
- how common it is and how it can be seen as expression or art, the role it has played in globalisation.
- miss interpretations due to media or big companies words and threats (such as sopa, pipa and acta)
- how it may affect all of society as we know it if enforced piracy laws. eg. sites like youtube, facebook, etc may be shut down.
- noone should own that much power over the internet.

yes the chapters arnt completely thought through and i am sure their are many implications but i would like to hear your feedback.
if their are any suggestions please let me know :)
Keep in mind that piracy is actually illegal. Just because it is a somewhat common practice doesn't mean that we have a 'right' to piracy or whatever.
(That said, I personally have pirated lots​)

Also, from what those dot points read, it sounds like more of an "Internet creating a new culture." I honestly struggle to see how piracy has enabled/even played a role in globalisation? Basically, consider broadening your total topic thing and have piracy and the implications of as a chapter bit.

Last edited:

RenegadeReturns

HSC
thanks for the feedback.
i see your point and im trying to think of some ideas to get around the piracy problems. also yes i think i will just make it a bit broader.
i have not really thought past the piracy idea but off the top of my head id assume i want to do something about the internet culture.

if i do something about cyber culture, maybe it can be primarily about how entertainment plays a role on this cyber society or how communication being the reason for the emergence of the culture.

this is really just off my head but if you had any pointers that would be great :)

Annihilist

HSC
Illegal schmillegal.

It's a good topic and potentially provocative questions can be more interesting than ones that are "non-offensive". And piracy is a pretty tame issue overall.

I'd say explore piracy's impact on society and individual sociological issues. If I were doing this topic, I would investigate how easy access to online piracy could cause young'uns to take stuff like movies and music for granted. That's the sole reason I don't pirate music, so that's where my interest lies.

But because it's on an illegal subject like piracy doesn't make it bad. In my opinion it makes them more interesting, and more insightful.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)