Is this common??? (1 Viewer)

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Going into week 3 of my law degree and already looking forward until the end of the term. My parents are shocked and embarrassed, but i just dont feel like im in the right spot. Got 97 UAI so im not an idiot and not finding it too hard, but i dont find it that interesting.

Ive never really known wat i wanted to do. I am interested in commerce hence im enrolled in comm/law, but this first year is straight law- 5 subjects per session. Im dying out for something with a graph, some numbers something other then reading. When it came to preferences i nilly went down the engineering/commerce line, and looking at my friends who have just started engineering the work looks really interesting. Ive only done 2U maths though, so transferring into engineering now having missed the first two weeks of maths lectures/tuts would be very hard as theyve already been through 3U stuff.

I got no idea wat to do- i thought i would love uni, but at the moment i feel trapped. And i got to make a decision quick- if im to stay in law, weve already got a tonne of assignments, court sittings etc to do and there is a very tight schedule to do everything, particularly if u include the weekly readings. However, how much will i hate it if i transfer to eng and its not wat i expect either.

So confused- do i stay in law (already bought 500 bucks worth of books), transfer to eng and see if i like it (the double eng/comm requires the whole first yr to be eng as well), just transfer to commerce for now or drop out altogether and just get my head together. By the way i didnt have a break over the summer, since the HSC i practically worked the whole time. So im definately feeling lik i just go from one stressful situation to another

HELP!

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
Sounds like you need to take a year off and think about things properly.

But if you're already doing comm/law, then why not get through this year of law subjects, you know you'll get to the comm subjects soon enough.

It sounds like you're more interested in the engineering side of things. What about eng/law? Either way, if you complete one full year of law, you've got nothing to lose if you transfer into eng/law at the end of this year.

The only way you might lose a year is if you decide to transfer out of law entirely, maybe into comm/eng.

If you don't have a better plan, don't drop out. Continue with law for now. By the end of the semester you'll have a much better idea of what it's all about and you'll be able to make a better informed decision if you decide to drop out of it after the semester, rather than dropping out now and then thinking 'what if'.

Last edited:

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
your university is a bitch if it forces you to do certain units at a certain time. i know my university doesn't give a rat's arse about WHEN we do our units, as long as we do all the requirements at the end of our degrees, we get our degrees.

my point is, see if it's possible to mix in some commerce subjects and drop a few law subjects (not really drop, but not do them until next year). mix in some microeconomics or quant analysis to diversify what you're doing now. if you got a 97 UAI you should be able to catch up with what other kids have learnt already in micro 1 by reading the text book. micro 1, especially the first 5 or so weeks is piss.

or, look at the eng degree and see what units you CAN do. transfer mid-year so that what you did this semester can be credited all back.

usually intro engineering subjects don't have any maths involved, and are just that - introduction to engineering (like building a heater, learning about material structures, etc). i couldn't imagine first year physics to be any harder than the calculus you learnt at high-school.

Last edited:

jackmurray1989

Mr Mature
HSC
Cookie182 said:
Going into week 3 of my law degree and already looking forward until the end of the term. My parents are shocked and embarrassed, but i just dont feel like im in the right spot. Got 97 UAI so im not an idiot and not finding it too hard, but i dont find it that interesting.

Ive never really known wat i wanted to do. I am interested in commerce hence im enrolled in comm/law, but this first year is straight law- 5 subjects per session. Im dying out for something with a graph, some numbers something other then reading. When it came to preferences i nilly went down the engineering/commerce line, and looking at my friends who have just started engineering the work looks really interesting. Ive only done 2U maths though, so transferring into engineering now having missed the first two weeks of maths lectures/tuts would be very hard as theyve already been through 3U stuff.

I got no idea wat to do- i thought i would love uni, but at the moment i feel trapped. And i got to make a decision quick- if im to stay in law, weve already got a tonne of assignments, court sittings etc to do and there is a very tight schedule to do everything, particularly if u include the weekly readings. However, how much will i hate it if i transfer to eng and its not wat i expect either.

So confused- do i stay in law (already bought 500 bucks worth of books), transfer to eng and see if i like it (the double eng/comm requires the whole first yr to be eng as well), just transfer to commerce for now or drop out altogether and just get my head together. By the way i didnt have a break over the summer, since the HSC i practically worked the whole time. So im definately feeling lik i just go from one stressful situation to another

HELP!
I'm doing 1st year law at Wollongong too. What group are you in? I'm in 3.

I'm feeling the exact same way, I wanted to do engineering and decided to do law at the last minute. It's not too hard, just boring. I haven't been really doing many of the readings, just skimming over.

I think it'll get better. The criminal law lecturers are shit boring, but the content will get more interesting and contracts has been suprisingly interesting. Just remember to focus on those two because Communications and Legal Research and Writing are just pass/fail subjects, so you only need to scrape through.

The Foundations of Law testing is 100% assignments, so you don't need to bother doing any work in that untill you get the assignment and then just read the relavent pages in the text.

Once we get electives it'll get better. And the girls are hot as well, if you picked engineering it'd be all dudes and internationals.

T-mac01

HSC
N/A
Cookie182 said:

HELP!
I got 96.8ish
Enrolled at monash eng/com and attended less than 3 weeks of lectures before I decided to drop out and take a gap year to find a part time job. I found it helped me to realise some of my personalities and interests which can be determinative on my career path.

T-mac01

HSC
N/A
RogueAcademic said:
Sounds like you need to take a year off and think about things properly.

But if you're already doing comm/law, then why not get through this year of law subjects, you know you'll get to the comm subjects soon enough.

It sounds like you're more interested in the engineering side of things. What about eng/law? Either way, if you complete one full year of law, you've got nothing to lose if you transfer into eng/law at the end of this year.

The only way you might lose a year is if you decide to transfer out of law entirely, maybe into comm/eng.

If you don't have a better plan, don't drop out. Continue with law for now. By the end of the semester you'll have a much better idea of what it's all about and you'll be able to make a better informed decision if you decide to drop out of it after the semester, rather than dropping out now and then thinking 'what if'.
He can do part time uni just so that he may not waste anytime doing nothing where he might regret later on. Seems to me like he definitely wants to do commerce, so why not do 2 commerce subjects while he's giving some thoughts about law?

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
T-mac01 said:
He can do part time uni just so that he may not waste anytime doing nothing where he might regret later on. Seems to me like he definitely wants to do commerce, so why not do 2 commerce subjects while he's giving some thoughts about law?
That is a great alternative, I didn't think of that.

jackmurray1989

Mr Mature
HSC
^^^^^

At Wollongong, a law double degree is fulltime law for the first year, no other subjects untill second year. Also, they don't do part-time unless you're working for a legal firm or something.

danielvh

HSC
During my first year I was enrolled in Law/Commerce. And, as like you, I knew pretty quickly that law wasn't my thing. Simultaneously, I found an area that I had a real passion for - economics. So I changed from Law/Commerce to Economics/Commerce and it's been a terrific decision for me. I'm getting excellent marks (HD average) and am really enjoying it.

Anyway, my point is that you should do what you love. I wouldn't switch blindly into Engineering. Maybe go to a few lectures in Engineering and try doing some of the introductory work that they do to get a feel of whether or not you'd like it.

G

Gavvvvvin

Well you still have another couple of weeks before the census date to see whether or not you like it...may as well stick around a bit longer.

doink

Clone
HSC
I am exactly the opposite (not really) I was going to do comm/law then at last minute i decided to do eng/law. I had done 4u maths and 3u english so i was having trouble deciding but engineering is so much fun that i am glad i didn't pick law as i would much rather apply my brain to solve problems then to do readings and remember information.

And you should still get into engineering if you can since the maths isn't that hard and if you are smart (which your uai proves you are) you just need to apply yourself and you can pass it.

The best part of engineering is the practical, 2 weeks in and im making an 8m tower and later on a Hydrogen fueled model race car (SWEET AS!!) It's like no other degree can provide in terms of actually implementing what you learn.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
doink said:
engineering is so much fun that i am glad i didn't pick law as i would much rather apply my brain to solve problems then to do readings and remember information.
Solving problems by applying the law is a big part of what you do in law at uni. It's not about remembering information, law exams are largely open book exams. There is very little rote memory in law at uni.

kenny.

HSC
I still laugh at ppl that chose their uni course base on their score, not what they wanted to do. lol

Epic_Postings

lol wut?
HSC
dont know if someone has said this already but if you are finding the law area of your degree difficult, you could change to all commerce courses for now.

antisheep

HSC
They say that something like more than 50% of people who start uni won't finish their degree, due to dropping out or, the more common one, changing degrees... you have nothing to worry about, you're in good company.

I think people have provided you with as many internal solutions as there are and I think that they all sound great, but another one could be to change unis... I know this may not be practical seeing as Woolongong is a while away from everything else but it sounds like you've found yourself in a particularily intense law program and if you still like the idea of law but not the way you're studying it another institution would be good. However, if you just don't like law then that's a different matter =)

My only thing is make sure you check when the withdrawal dates are for no academic penalty... because they sometimes differ from the census date at some unis and you'd hate to start your uni career with 5 fails.

All the best! And keep us posted with what you choose.

Mumma

HSC
Law being boring ... and this was a surprise why ? :confused:
Drop and do engineering ASAP.

Marmalade.

HSC
N/A
I think you need to give it more than a few weeks. When I started my degree it took me the first semester to get into it at all.

DeathB4Life

Bánned
HSC
if you have something else on your mind, its probably not going to pass with time. maybe attend a few random engineering lectures and see how you find the material.

amaccas

HSC
N/A
been in ur situation. i dropped out, then did some other stuff , arts/media/economics subjects, and decided i didn't like that either. and then i went back to law. lesser of 2 evils really. all study is shit generally (from my experience). i don't think being a lawyer will be shit though. even if it is, the money will be a bit of alright :D

gracie007

HSC
seriously take a year off. go out and experience working/travelling first. it works.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)