is this elective good (1 Viewer)

hg83ry

HSC
hey we are haven a debate in our class over ouyr elective and i read most of this chaptrer in my text book and found it quite bad.....

how does it rank???? any good? or does the text book do it justice?

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
hahaha if my school offered forensic chem as an elective, i wouldnt hesitate at all to do chm in yr 11 and 12 because it would all be worth it.
should be quite fun and interesting to do

hg83ry

HSC
yeah i know, but the etxt book cahpter for it is very slow and tedious.... and plus it is the first time the teacher has taught it so...

kaliber

HSC
my school is doing this elective for 08 hsc, hope it'll be interesting.

and is it true that it's better to do the more popular electives, namely industrial and shipwreck, because a large proportion of the state will do it and most of them are hopeless thus giving you a better chance at a higher rank?

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
^ urban myth.... personally i don't think it's true... you are not "ranked" but rather "marked", even though there might be some subjectivity present in the marking.

now back to OP: forensic is mostly organic chemistry, spectroscopic stuff... one of the only "university chemistry" you would be able to do. to be honest, shipwrecks and industrial were never done in university level pass first year iirc.

rooeys2

i like to laugh =)
HSC
im quite horrified to be eventually studyin this topic but it clashes with the bio option "the code broken" so mayb its a good thing

SpinCobra

HSC
Uni Grad
Isnt Forensic chemistry the hardest optional topic?

I heard like 60% of the state does Industrial chemistry and the most of the remaining do shipwrecks, with very little doing the others.

rooeys2

i like to laugh =)
HSC
i guess doin an option that is hardest and rare gives you an advantage? i think thats why our teacher chose it, less competiive and if u do it well even better!

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
So... the way I hear it, Forensic Chem is the best.
From looking at all past trials and past HSC papers, the questions seem to be VERY straightforward and closely aligned with the dot points (available from the board of studies).
So..... yeah.
Fingers crossed its good!

SpoonSamba

HSC
about 12% do forensic and a big chunk do industrial and shipwrecks.

The other are mainly done by selective schools cos they're really hard

we had our first forensic lesson today, it was good. Our hwk was to watch CSI lol

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
Having finished the HSC...
Forensic chem questions in the exam were very straightforward, and followed syllabus dotpoints more or less word for word.
Easy easy easy to study for.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)