Is this just a RUMOUR?!?!?!? (1 Viewer)

shimmy&shine

HSC
To all the usyders who do arts, especially those who do arts (media and communications).

I was always interested in doing this course, but then I have recently found out that, well some people reckon it's the worst media and comm course in the state?

How true (do you personally) think this is? Is it a good course? Should I put it in my preferences and aim for it? What are your experiences of it?

This is because this seemed to be the ONLY course I ever felt a slight interest in. Nothing else. But now I'm really unsure. I have NO IDEA what to put in my preferences. Does anyone recommend it?

Please clear this up for me...

Thanx

ps, I think i squeezed in a gazillion questions, but the main things is...
Would you recommend this course?

shimmy&shine

HSC
ahhh, point taken, lol.

but still, why on earth would they HATE usyd. Seems like a lovely social playground.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
I don't do the course so I probably won't say much that is helpful but I was just wondering who were the "people" who told you this course is crap?

When I was in year 12, alot of people were talking about degrees like they knew it all not realising that friends/class mates were taking them seriously and basing their uni judgements on what they're saying. So I guess what I'm saying is that if you hear something from an unreliable source (i.e people at school, people not doing the degree, people from other unis doing the degree), then it's probably best to:

- check out the USYD for information
- check out other unis for their media/com degrees
- flip through handbooks
- hunt down people doing media/comm degrees from different unis (which I guess, is what you're doing now but try asking for people who are doing Media/comm at other unis too)

Good luck.

ashwin

Creator
HSC
See the thread about media and communications.

I do the course, in 3rd year atm. It's a great course, with really awesome people, and USYD is an awesome campus. Of course, my opinion is biased.

In terms of jobs: If you can write well, you'll get a job in journalism (which deal with writing of course). What media comm does is equip u with these skills, and with skills in other areas of the media. You do soooo much writing of all sorts in this course. Lots of ppl in the course already get stories published in SMH, Australian, uni publications, etc etc.

Go to the open days and make up your own mind. If you're going to listen to negative points about the course, hear it from someone who actually does the course, and not other randoms.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)