Is this mathematically correct? If x is a variable, then x+1=x since x can be anything (1 Viewer)

anjalika9923

HSC
I don't know how to word it any other way. Here's a pic of how I used it in a proof
Screen Shot 2021-03-29 at 3.34.02 pm.png
Thanks

cossine

HSC
"If x is a variable then can x+1 = x be anything?"

For assignments you can change the value. If x+1 = x is an equation however you will end up with 0 = 1 which is not correct.

In the case of assignment you should have single term on the LHS. So instead of x+1 = x the assignment would be x = x-1

For assignment normally := is used instead of = to avoid confusion with equations.

Everwinter

HSC
You cannot, did you or the question itself defined the variable p before? like p is an integer or something? If you didn't then define it, if you did, you can either define p+1 as P, where P is also an integer (or whatever you defined it as), you can also use := sign, which means something is defined to be equal to something, where you can do let p := p + 1, which translated as let p defined to be equal to p + 1. To clarify things, you can write next to it (since integer is closed under +, -, x, ÷) this part is not necessary for the actual exam.
I would like to see the full question and the solution to it, because it may not make sense to chuck this in the middle.

anjalika9923

HSC
You cannot, did you or the question itself defined the variable p before? like p is an integer or something? If you didn't then define it, if you did, you can either define p+1 as P, where P is also an integer (or whatever you defined it as), you can also use := sign, which means something is defined to be equal to something, where you can do let p := p + 1, which translated as let p defined to be equal to p + 1. To clarify things, you can write next to it (since integer is closed under +, -, x, ÷) this part is not necessary for the actual exam.
I would like to see the full question and the solution to it, because it may not make sense to chuck this in the middle.
It's part of an induction question. I introduced p and q and specifically said "let p, q=the variable number of coins needed" and p, q are positive integers. I think I will just change the way I've set it out so it's similar to how you do divisibility induction questions eg. x=5A+5B, and at the end you get x=5C where C=A+B (something like that). Thanks :)

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
It's part of an induction question. I introduced p and q and specifically said "let p, q=the variable number of coins needed" and p, q are positive integers. I think I will just change the way I've set it out so it's similar to how you do divisibility induction questions eg. x=5A+5B, and at the end you get x=5C where C=A+B (something like that). Thanks :)
In that case, I agree with @Everwinter and suggest that this should be something like

So, can be written in the form where , as required.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)