• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Is This Normal? (1 Viewer)

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
I've worked two weeks now...

and I haven't been paid yet...

I get paid through a recruitment agency, since they helped me find a job. See I get paid weekly (every thursday)... they've had my account details for three weeks all up... they're the RIGHT details too.

I've called the recruitment agency up, and I've also physically went down to the building and asked what's going on. Last thursday they said I'll definatley get paid on saturday.

It's saturday and I have no money.

What's going on? Do you think I'm not getting paid because of people having a holiday during this festive season? So should I just be patient?

What if this keeps going, as in, I'm continuing to work for free. Who should I be talking to?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I've had this happen before.... i didn't get paid for a month, i kept nagging then eventually they fired me, i got a lawyer to call them up and i got paid... i didn't get as much as i should have tho considering the hours i was working and since i worked over public holidays and such...

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
They possibly could have paid you on (Sat) but it will take until Monday or Tuesday to show up in your bank account due to public hols and the time it takes to process etc. I know that I used to get paid on wednesday but the money wouldn't appear in the bank until Thursday morning.... If nothing has shown up by Weds I'd ring them again.

Cyph

espresso me up!
HSC
I would be VERY WARY if they told you that you'd be paid on Saturday... the banks aren't open on Saturday - they're only open Mon-Fri

you should get onto the workplace of industrial relations or something like that

edit: on second thoughts, if it's a recruitment agency, I thought that most of them were closed until the 10th/12th... ?

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
If they're doing net transfers and such, it will take a few days to show up anyway, unless you both have the use the same bank, and then a few more due to public holidays and such.

If it's not there by Thursday, go and see them, and if nothing happens get the Union involved if you work in an industry where the Union is strong.

biggles04

Banned
HSC
N/A
Bare in mind (this may be irrelevent, however) that there have been many public holidays recently.

I know at my company we are paid Wednesdays, however if a public holiday falls on a Monday then we are paid Thursday.

JoyDivision

Is Big In Japan
HSC
Haha I work for a bank, and we all got paid on the Saturday....

Anyway a similar thing happened to me when I started working. I dont know who you work for, but the National Australia Bank Human Resources team is completley shagged, and it took forever for all of my employee details to be processed. So I worked from the 6th-25th of December without access to any money.

However, I got money transferred to my account by my local Branch's overseas settlement fund for a temporary period of time, which my manager could organise to make sure i got some money. So two days before christmas, I was given $1,000 to pay back once my pay was processed, which was two days after that anyway. The problem I had was that I was paid $1,898 for one pay period, which meant I paid an incredible amount of tax.

Im not sure if its your employers or your human resources team thats like stuffed up, but its not cool to be working for so long and not get paid. And yeah, the longer this happens for, the more money you will accumulate and the more tax you will pay immediatley. You may get this all back on your return, but if youve only started working recently then you will not qualify for the full $6000 tax free threshold.

biggles04

Banned
HSC
N/A
JoyDivision said:
if you've only started working recently then you will not qualify for the full $6000 tax free threshold.
Quite incorrect. I do not know why you think such a thing, but no, ur_inner_child certainly does qualify for $6, 000 threshold. This applies no matter how long you have worked. I am quite confused about where this idea came from. Please, do explain your view.

JoyDivision

Is Big In Japan
HSC
Part Year Tax-Free Threshold, page 103 0f the tax Pack, I think its Question A 1 or 2 on the return.

I think its only reasonable that if you dont work a full financial year that you dont qualify for a full tax free threshold. I have had many conversations with my Dad about this, who has a degree in Taxation and works for the ATO. Apparently its also part of the Income Tax Assessment act and im still trying to get my head around it all, but I know I wont be qualifying for the entire bracket. I will have only been working full time for 7 months by the end of financial year after finishing school.

JoyDivision

Is Big In Japan
HSC
However, if im wrong on this one, that would make me very bloody happy.....

biggles04

Banned
HSC
N/A
JoyDivision said:
However, if im wrong on this one, that would make me very bloody happy.....
my first job was 5 years ago.
I worked there for three months beginning September.
I claimed threshold and was not once charged any tax when I worked there.
I then changed company as soon as I finished up at Crazy Clark's. KFC. I worked casual there and claimed threshold.
I know what I want to say, but I can't, this is too confusing!! And I can't think of words to say!!!!! It's frustrating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *runs away sobbing*

JoyDivision

Is Big In Japan
HSC
Hang on, I dont really understand you here.

So you claimed threshold at Crazy Clarks, but werent charged any tax? Is this because you didnt earn over $120 in any one given week? Im guessing you got all your tax back, because you went in under the threshold.....were you a full time student at this point?

Did you work at KFC and Crazy Clarks in the same financial year? I just dont really get it, it sounds like youre saying you claimed threshold twice to me. Tax is extremely confusing, not to mention boring.....

biggles04

Banned
HSC
N/A
JoyDivision said:
Hang on, I dont really understand you here.

So you claimed threshold at Crazy Clarks, but werent charged any tax? Is this because you didnt earn over $120 in any one given week? Im guessing you got all your tax back, because you went in under the threshold.....were you a full time student at this point?

Did you work at KFC and Crazy Clarks in the same financial year? I just dont really get it, it sounds like youre saying you claimed threshold twice to me. Tax is extremely confusing, not to mention boring.....
I agree with your final statement.

I don't know, I can't explain. My head is swimming.

superbird

HSC
ur_inner_child said:
I've worked two weeks now...

and I haven't been paid yet...

I get paid through a recruitment agency, since they helped me find a job. See I get paid weekly (every thursday)... they've had my account details for three weeks all up... they're the RIGHT details too.

I've called the recruitment agency up, and I've also physically went down to the building and asked what's going on. Last thursday they said I'll definatley get paid on saturday.

It's saturday and I have no money.

What's going on? Do you think I'm not getting paid because of people having a holiday during this festive season? So should I just be patient?

What if this keeps going, as in, I'm continuing to work for free. Who should I be talking to?
I believe the maximum amount of time an employer can pay you by law is a month. Anything over that timeframe is considered illegal.

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC
i've never had any problems with my pay going into my account regardless of public holiday, i also work under a employment agency for a bank.

May i ask which agency you went through? Is that agency a stable one, whats the name of the agency? It may depend which agency you went through, do you know what their pay schedule is under their guideline weekly or fortnightly?

Public holiday shouldn't be a big issue, you should still get money into your account because say a pay takes 2 business days to get into your account excluding public holidays it should be already in your account.

Sounds doddgy to me

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC
JoyDivision said:
Haha I work for a bank, and we all got paid on the Saturday.....
Hey,

How is it working for National? What do you do down there, im interested in hearing your perspective working for a bank, because i work for the Dragon :)

Are you a full time permanent or contractor?

What are the conditions, employment, pay rates at the National?

JoyDivision

Is Big In Japan
HSC
Hello......

Working for the National is the coolest thing in the world. I'm only at my branch, or my local regions branches, for a year, while I wait for Uni. I havent been working there for long, but I work for three different branches of the bank, I'm whats known as a Temp- which is contract work I guess. However, I havent had a day off since I started and ive been guaranteed full time for as long as I want.

I guess we do just normal bank teller stuff, which really isnt hard at all because we just refer opening new accounts and term deposits and stuff down the front to the sales and service advisors. What do you do?

Do you like working for St. George?

I get paid the base rate for a teller, $18 per hour, plus a 25% loading on top of that for being a temp worker. The only condition is that you need to be paid for three hours of work on any day that you have been asked to work. The bank is an awesome place to work, its worth your while if you can get a 40 hour week on $23 an hour but its kinda a hard job to get. How did you get your job?

Are you permanent part time?

HSC
JoyDivision said:
Hello......

Working for the National is the coolest thing in the world. I'm only at my branch, or my local regions branches, for a year, while I wait for Uni. I havent been working there for long, but I work for three different branches of the bank, I'm whats known as a Temp- which is contract work I guess. However, I havent had a day off since I started and ive been guaranteed full time for as long as I want.

I guess we do just normal bank teller stuff, which really isnt hard at all because we just refer opening new accounts and term deposits and stuff down the front to the sales and service advisors. What do you do?

Do you like working for St. George?

I get paid the base rate for a teller, $18 per hour, plus a 25% loading on top of that for being a temp worker. The only condition is that you need to be paid for three hours of work on any day that you have been asked to work. The bank is an awesome place to work, its worth your while if you can get a 40 hour week on $23 an hour but its kinda a hard job to get. How did you get your job?

Are you permanent part time?
As if you work for a bank, youre only lying to yourself, along with others, i mean find something better to do than lying to all these good people, what have they done to deserve this, being tangled in your web of deceit... i mean come on... stop lying, youre living a lie!

WHY WONT YOU LET ME LIVE!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)