Is this really fair, especially around exam time? (1 Viewer)

James87

Club Mac - 1st Year 2006!
HSC
This is kind of linked to the threads that talk about people hogging library tables - which is a joke. I went to the library at 10am on friday and it was packed. So where do you go from there? Along with a friend, we went to the computer labs. Im not a computing/IT/maths student so I don't know the rules of these labs exactly - but I have eyes and it seems like you can walk in there to use the computers (for just about anything, accademic or otherwise). Now, I went in there to study my psychology notes, not interferring with anyone, or doing anything to anyone, not making a sound, not trying to hack into Mac's computers. And some lecturer/professor asked me to leave - suggesting this area was for computing students only. I was there, my mate was and about 3 other people - in a room with maybe 30-40 computers/desks. No other student was waiting for a desk/computer to do work on - or I would have left. But it seems quite interesting to me that any university student/staff member or anyone of authority would want to inhibit a student from trying to learn, regardless of what faculty they are from. If i was doing the wrong thing, I could understand the guy's anger.

Surely some commonsense would dictate to that gentleman/staff member that in exam periods, the library and other areas are very full - and so maybe a slight loosening of the rules might be permittable.

Anyways, it made me a little angrier, especially seeing that 4/5 of the other guys in there were either a) looking at cartoons b) studying accounting c) doing marketing online quizzes.

That's my two cents. Good luck everyone

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
hey we do the same degree :)

I can sort of see where the professor is coming from though, those labs are for comp students and comp students only... i mean i get shitty whenever i see accounting students printing out their crap in the psychology comp labs.

If you need a place to go to study, just find an empty classroom to study in... there's heaps of spare classrooms to study in in the building with the prostitute statue.

Those students doing marketing online quizzes and looking at cartoons are probably comp students because u need to be enrolled into a comp unit to be able to use the computers.

You do my degree... don't you have to do some comp unit sooner or later?

*hopeful*

HSC
ppl r whingers, especially ppl with authority
u should have just moved into another comp room....

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Wow, thats a bit nasty.

You should have just said "I pay my uni fees just like everyone else, you old bastard. Piss off!"

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
This is why you have to 'befriend' a comp student, then use their account while there, just have it open :p

X

xeuyrawp

James87 said:
This is kind of linked to the threads that talk about people hogging library tables - which is a joke. I went to the library at 10am on friday and it was packed. So where do you go from there? Along with a friend, we went to the computer labs. Im not a computing/IT/maths student so I don't know the rules of these labs exactly - but I have eyes and it seems like you can walk in there to use the computers (for just about anything, accademic or otherwise). Now, I went in there to study my psychology notes, not interferring with anyone, or doing anything to anyone, not making a sound, not trying to hack into Mac's computers. And some lecturer/professor asked me to leave - suggesting this area was for computing students only. I was there, my mate was and about 3 other people - in a room with maybe 30-40 computers/desks. No other student was waiting for a desk/computer to do work on - or I would have left. But it seems quite interesting to me that any university student/staff member or anyone of authority would want to inhibit a student from trying to learn, regardless of what faculty they are from. If i was doing the wrong thing, I could understand the guy's anger.

Surely some commonsense would dictate to that gentleman/staff member that in exam periods, the library and other areas are very full - and so maybe a slight loosening of the rules might be permittable.

Anyways, it made me a little angrier, especially seeing that 4/5 of the other guys in there were either a) looking at cartoons b) studying accounting c) doing marketing online quizzes.

That's my two cents. Good luck everyone
Oh dear, all these law ideas coming back - should the 'law' be enforced if it's not really needed?

Did you try to reason with the person trying to kick you out?

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i understand where the comp guy was coming from, but he should have let you stay. especially if there wasn't anyone waiting and other people weren't doing work.

if worst comes to worst and you don't mind not having a table just plonk yourself somewhere in the library (preferably somewhere where you can keep your eye on a few tables for 15 minutes and then take one of hem)

James87

HSC
Yeah everyone, I'm not really that pissed off about it. But ill urinate on some people's stuff in the library just for fun anyways. I resent the call by someone that I am another stupid first year. Definitely not. For example,if u read some of the bulletin/chat rooms on WEBCT for first year subjects, I would seem like a genius and not a stupid first year. People ask the same question a million times and someone didn't know what double-spaced typing was... very interesting. Don't want to be too harsh to anyone though

Yes, Clairegirl, we do the same degree and yes I have to do Comp or Isys sometime, but as you know, some 100 level units kind of float into 2nd year - so i decided to leave ACST 101 and Isys till 2nd year - i figured id be warmed up to the uni deal by then and would (maybe) be in the mood to do those harder sounding subs by then.

Do u like the degree, what sort of 'majors' do you have (for the business part) and where do you want to end up?

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
haha dude, :p means "joke/kidding/cheeky" you don't need to tell us what webct is like :)

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
lol thats great i wish i could say i wasn't a stupid 3rd year :p

and where do i want to end up... urrm my sig says... im majoring in HR.... im going to end up in HR in the short term... trying to get my foot in the door now as my other threads have indicated.

I want to do HR as a jobish/career-ish but i want to eventually become an org psychologist, doing change management and other such pretty things. What about you James?

X

xeuyrawp

Cyan_phoeniX said:
i say yes, if its a general rule that applies to all, but it still is quite shitty nevertheless.
I don't think so. The rule is there to give COMP students resources. If it comes to the point where that can't happen (ie, non-COMP students using it), then people should be moved out.

Otherwise, the rule is simply being used for another purpose - to not give non-COMP students resources.

^___^
HSC
eh, theres study rooms down the corridor, where tutorials are usually held during the day..you are allowed to study there

i think i know who the dude that told you off..he is not really a professor/lecturer in MQ, rather he is the admin for the ICS department. He has the right to kick ANY student, even COMP students off the building if theres a valid reason..
he is pretty pissed off lately, cos alot of non-comp students are taking over the lab computers(and what is worst, they are borrowing some comp student's account) to do non-computing units...

but yeah, if you want to study in the comp labs, i suggest you hit there after 930pm...

marchetta

shut up and do me
HSC
There's a sign on the door that states that the room is only meant for comp students and that non-comp students aren't allowed to be there. Anyway, I don't think that guy was trying to be rude or unfair to you - he was just doing his job. Other than that, there are heaps of other places to study.

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
James87 said:
Yeah everyone, I'm not really that pissed off about it. But ill urinate on some people's stuff in the library just for fun anyways. I resent the call by someone that I am another stupid first year. Definitely not. For example,if u read some of the bulletin/chat rooms on WEBCT for first year subjects, I would seem like a genius and not a stupid first year. People ask the same question a million times and someone didn't know what double-spaced typing was... very interesting. Don't want to be too harsh to anyone though

Yes, Clairegirl, we do the same degree and yes I have to do Comp or Isys sometime, but as you know, some 100 level units kind of float into 2nd year - so i decided to leave ACST 101 and Isys till 2nd year - i figured id be warmed up to the uni deal by then and would (maybe) be in the mood to do those harder sounding subs by then.

Do u like the degree, what sort of 'majors' do you have (for the business part) and where do you want to end up?
Easy on tiger.

Im not going to get into discussions of genius and self-worth, particularly from first years.

As to the point of the comp labs, the rules are there, the sign is there, I can understand that you may be a bit chuffed, but thats like complaining you should be allowed to speed just because no one else is on the road.

lcf

man. nature. technology.
HSC
In E6A (comp area) there are tables/chairs in tge foyer - you could try there - however on the flip side, it really does annoy people who want to use their laptops there, and all the spots are taken up with people just eating lunch or not using a laptop.

James87

HSC
I don't really know where I want to end up Claire. I'm thinking I might like to be a psychologist instead of a business tycoon lol. Who knows.

To however made the comment on self-worth/genius, the statement I made was a bit extreme - prolly a by-product of stress. However, the comment that you won't get into a discussion with a 'first year' about (important) matters like that is kinda dodgy mate. I don't think you can take the stance that age/uni year = intelligence or a higher philosophical position on that. Not saying that is what you were doing, and I don't wana fight.

Btw, I saw the 'u can not reserve a desk in the library' lamenated sign on the walls. Very fancy,well not really. Hopefully it will work, but from what I saw, not yet.

Exam Time!!!!!!!!!!!!!

James87

HSC
There was no sign where I went, not visably. The guy had every right to ask me to leave, yet, due to my quite obvious newbie status he coulda been friendlier. This discussion could go on forever lol. But maybe we should study.

bassqueen16

HSC
James87 said:
There was no sign where I went, not visably. The guy had every right to ask me to leave, yet, due to my quite obvious newbie status he coulda been friendlier. This discussion could go on forever lol. But maybe we should study.
or perhaps this is a strategic ploy to procrastinate... i personally agree on the overcrowdiing of mac library- went there yesterday all i could see (and smell errgh) was ice tea, several caffinated beverages, electronic translators and full desks/study rooms/aisles... i guess trying to do my extension proposal around exam time was a bad idea.... /end rant

bassqueen16

HSC
/resume rant momentarily.... oh and no one use the ghey coffee machine in The Byte.. id kill it if it was animate, it ATE MY LAST $2!!! Im povo and i was cold stupid bastard of a machine, i even tried bobby pins and no luck, damn nazi box of a thing.. /ok definitely end rant

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)