is this right??? (1 Viewer)

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
okey
u all must have seen dat dot point in space-
explain the concept of escape velocity.........blahh.....blahhh

well for my half yrly's my teacher gave us a question to calculate the escape velocity......but calculation is not mentioned in the dot points......so is he allowed to ask us to calculate?????can the hsc paper ask us to calculate????

pls let me know......soooooon

kini mini

HSC
The dot point says

"Explain the concept of escape velocity in terms of the gravitational constant and the mass and radius of the planet"

Calculation is not explicitly mentioned here, but it's hard to see how you could avoid knowing the equation if you can explain the above relationships. I think that your teacher's argument would be that knowing how to calculate the escape velocity of a projectile in a given situation is implicit in the dot point.

I don't know about the actual rules regarding when you can and can't ask quantitative questions in the HSC and in assessments, but in this case I don't think you have much of a chance of getting those marks back.

tieki

Yeah, you should be able to do it...there's a formula for it:

V = sqrt(2Gm/r)

Where:
- V = excape velocity
- G = Universal grav. constant (-6.67 x 10^-11)
- m = mass of planet (kg)
- r = radius of planet (m)

Hopefully this helps... :)

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
As we have all seen from half-yearlies, trial and the HSC, they can ask outside of teh scope of the syallubus and claim that the question is "band 5/6". The bottom line is, be prepared for all cases ...

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
Originally posted by McLake
As we have all seen from half-yearlies, trial and the HSC, they can ask outside of teh scope of the syallubus and claim that the question is "band 5/6". The bottom line is, be prepared for all cases ...
.. and understand your work

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)