is this stupid? (1 Viewer)

sando

HSC IS EVIL
HSC
putting a course with a lower uaicutoff higher on ur preference list than a course with a higher uai cutoff ?

Riviet

HSC
N/A
sando said:
putting a course with a lower uaicutoff higher on ur preference list than a course with a higher uai cutoff ?
It's the wise thing to do if you're more interested in the lower cut off course than the higher one.

Last edited:

sando

HSC IS EVIL
HSC
true. but then it just seems like a waste of a preference.

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
yea my list goes like that too
with UTS law and MAQ law as bottom two.

HSC
Yea dont worry about the UAIs required just put the most wanted one first and so on...

I have many higher preferences ranked as the lowest on my list too

hellomike

HSC
You put whichever course you want to do the most first - each course in each order is given equal competitiveness.

Conspirocy

HSC
Okay DO NOT muck around with ur preferences

I'll tell you a story from my year of how much you can fuck it up

my goal was to go to unsw and study com or eco ---> after looking at the degrees i saw that com and eco were pretty much the same and i was always going to study something in eco... so i did my preferences like this

com unsw
eco unsw
com syd
eco syd
biz uts

and cant remember the rest

say i didnt do that and i had placed com syd first for some strange reason...or say i placed arts at usyd etc as my first pref

basically they give u ur first preference --- thats why its a preference

so in this year there were no late round offers for the following courses

com unsw
eco unsw
biz uts

if u wanted to do any of these and u had the uai to do them u would have missed out in the late round and been stuck somewhere u potentialy didnt have to be

so basically moral of the story is this...pick ur 1st preference as something u might just miss out on (like close, if u got 97 and u wanted to do law at syd its not going to happen --- but maybe uts would be a good 1st pref if u get lucky), and ur 2nd as something u are 100% committed on doing, and order everything respectively

tennille

HSC
Your first preference should be the course you would like to do most. My first preference happened to have a cut-off above my UAI, but I still managed to receive an offer in the main round regardless that the cut-off was above my UAI for that year as well. The point is, you have no idea whether the cut-offs will rise or fall, or whether you'll receive an offer regardless of these fluctuations. Remember, those cut-offs are for last year.

Why would be a waste of a preference? If it's below your cut-off, you'll most likely get in (assuming the cut-off doesn't rise too much).

Last edited:

powcy

HSC
Conspirocy said:
so basically moral of the story is this...pick ur 1st preference as something u might just miss out on (like close, if u got 97 and u wanted to do law at syd its not going to happen --- but maybe uts would be a good 1st pref if u get lucky), and ur 2nd as something u are 100% committed on doing, and order everything respectively
Very good advice, I must say. That's what I'm doing! :)

But yes, Sando, don't be afraid of "wasting your UAI points". I got 96.10, and my first pref is BSc Adv at USyd (96.40), and second is BSc at USyd (80... I think). I think it's more important to put down what you like, rather than the course with the highest possible cut-off. It's better to get into a lower-demand course that you like that a high-demand one that you won't enjoy for the next three to seven years, don't you think? ;)

And lastly, if you don't enjoy a course, you probably will suck at it anyways. So pick what you like, and screw the cut-offs.

HSC
Tennille said:
Your first preference should be the course you would like to do most. My first preference happened to have a cut-off above my UAI, but I still managed to receive an offer in the main round regardless that the cut-off was above my UAI for that year as well. The point is, you have no idea whether the cut-offs will rise or fall, or whether you'll receive an offer regardless of these fluctuations. Remember, those cut-offs are for last year.

Why would be a waste of a preference? If it's below your cut-off, you'll most likely get in (assuming the cut-off doesn't rise too much).
How much higher was the cut-off compared to your UAI? You got in, I just hope I can too coz my 1st preference is slightly higher than my UAI.

P

pLuvia

My first is higher than my UAI but second is much lower so, no it's not stupid

tennille

HSC
Iheartpaulfrank said:
How much higher was the cut-off compared to your UAI? You got in, I just hope I can too coz my 1st preference is slightly higher than my UAI.
My UAI was 1.10 below the cut-off.

Punctuation M

HSC
N/A
sando said:
Why would it be stupid? You need to be certain that you're choosing a course which will be the ticket to the desired career. For example, personally, I would like to study computer engineering; computer engineering is offered by many universities including usyd, uws and others. But, I personally would like to attend the university of western sydney because it focuses on subjects and areas of study that I think would give me the knowledge to be able to complete tasks my future career asks of me. And seriously, I don't want to travel all the way to the city when I live around the corner from uws. But this isn't about me, it's about you. Choose what suits you, and forget about the cutoffs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)