Is this timetable any good, and should I take FINS1613 or ECON1101? (1 Viewer)

MikeLloyd

HSC
Here's my timetable: I take Commerce / Bsc (Advanced Mathematics) (Hons)

I've got a series of questions, looking for general advice on.

1. Is ECON1101 worth taking in S1? I took economics in Year 11/12 on a non-HSC curriculum, while I enjoyed the content and got good marks I particularly didn't like the subject.

I hate writing economics essays, and I hate the textbook work. Alternatively, I've enrolled in FINS1613 because it's an available elective, and I figured I would enjoy it.

Did I just take a harder class instead of an easier one? Is ECON1101 more up my alley as a first year student? Advice appreciated, would like to keep my first year WAM as high as possible.

2. My "Matriculation" status. I don't really understand, how do I check if I have accepted my offer or not - and is my application complete?

3. Is my timetable optimal as a student? Given that I'm taking commerce, I don't seem to have very many hours; however I enjoy lectures and classroom work, and would prefer to maximize it.

I tried to increase my math hours as much as possible (I assumed was necessary), but is there any more I can do?

- I like waking up early
- I like leaving uni late
- I don't have any particular commitments outside of university study, and like to adopt a "9 to 5" approach
- I left Wednesday free to self study and exercise.

4. Is Discrete math MATH1081 worth taking for first semester Adv Math?

I've been told the fail rate is high, and the exam is difficult. I took this as an indication to avoid and wait until some of my cohort had experience with before attempting. I initially wanted to take it out of interest. Instead I took the bludge course SCIF1121.

All advice appreciated, cheers!

Last edited:

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
1) doesnt matter you will have to do it eventually anyways
2) yes that's fine, you've enrolled and everything
3) there is no reason why you can't go to uni when you have no classes on and just study/do your own thing
4) again, you will have to do the course anyway just pick subjects where the work load isn;t too high. iirc it is offered in both sem 1 and sem 2 so you can do it anytime

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)