Is tutoring necessary? (1 Viewer)

lit24

HSC
Everyone in my school goes tutoring including me. I have not been benefitting from it but if I stop now, will I regret it next year (year 12)? Science tutoring is essentially textbooks being read out loud and english tutoring is useless. Should I just do them for the sake of doing them in case it does somehow end up helping?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I think there are 3 options we may be looking at in your case:
  1. If you really feel that tutoring is not helping you at all and is not likely to help you in year 12, you might consider stopping it altogether and maximising your own efforts to achieve good results.
  2. If money is not a concern, remain in tutoring for the rest of year 11 and throughout year 12 to avoid any regret/scenario where there is something you don't understand for which tutoring might've been helpful, i.e. just to be safe.
  3. Look for a private tutor. Private tutors may be better as all their efforts are aimed at you only and their approach can be specifically tailored to suit your needs, which is very important, especially for English.
Making an informed decision is important as this may likely influence your HSC.

All the best! 😄

lit24

HSC
I think there are 3 options we may be looking at in your case:
  1. If you really feel that tutoring is not helping you at all and is not likely to help you in year 12, you might consider stopping it altogether and maximising your own efforts to achieve good results.
  2. If money is not a concern, remain in tutoring for the rest of year 11 and throughout year 12 to avoid any regret/scenario where there is something you don't understand for which tutoring might've been helpful, i.e. just to be safe.
  3. Look for a private tutor. Private tutors may be better as all their efforts are aimed at you only and their approach can be specifically tailored to suit your needs, which is very important, especially for English.
Making an informed decision is important as this may likely influence your HSC.

All the best! 😄
I am aiming to stick to option 2 but tutoring often drains me because I get home late on most days of the week due to it and it becomes harder to not knock out as soon as I get home. This affects any homework I have due the next day and causes me to sacrifice my sleep. I have both a coaching and private tutor for english currently although it is still is not helpful as there's only so much an english tutor can do without writing out your work for you. And I think the feedback I get from this is very general and I am able to get that from school teachers. My main concern is that it is draining and gets tiring, almost feels like a burden.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I am aiming to stick to option 2 but tutoring often drains me because I get home late on most days of the week due to it and it becomes harder to not knock out as soon as I get home. This affects any homework I have due the next day and causes me to sacrifice my sleep. I have both a coaching and private tutor for english currently although it is still is not helpful as there's only so much an english tutor can do without writing out your work for you. And I think the feedback I get from this is very general and I am able to get that from school teachers. My main concern is that it is draining and gets tiring, almost feels like a burden.
In that case you should probably manage your tutoring lessons, group and private, to better match your schedule. For example, if you know what will be covered in the next tutoring lesson and you're sure that lesson won't help you, you're probably better off not going and instead study on your own for that particular day, which will allow you to address the sleeping and homework problems.

In terms of your private English tutor, if your school teachers can match the quality of feedback given to you by your tutor, then I think your private English lessons are not very effective and you should consider stopping them, which will save you time (addressing the above issues) and money.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Tutoring isn't necessary but it definitely helps - just depends how effectively you utilise it (since tutoring is a tool to help you, not an automatic mark increaser)

rajeshtheting

HSC
Everyone in my school goes tutoring including me. I have not been benefitting from it but if I stop now, will I regret it next year (year 12)? Science tutoring is essentially textbooks being read out loud and english tutoring is useless. Should I just do them for the sake of doing them in case it does somehow end up helping?
Its defo not necessary ... i graduated last year from a selective school where the dux of our year got a .95 atar and didnt go tutoring for any subject, which pretty much the whole year knew about. he just worked his butt off and went above and beyond in all his subjects. however, this is one of those rare exceptions so i would definitely try both options out and see what works best for u

idkkdi

HSC
Its defo not necessary ... i graduated last year from a selective school where the dux of our year got a .95 atar and didnt go tutoring for any subject, which pretty much the whole year knew about. he just worked his butt off and went above and beyond in all his subjects. however, this is one of those rare exceptions so i would definitely try both options out and see what works best for u
didnt that man have access to tutoring resources lol

attakhansmarty

HSC
Tutoring can help strengthen subject comprehension, boost confidence, and build important learning skills. Tutoring gives students individualized attention that they don't get in a crowded classroom. This helps children who struggle to keep up, as well as those who aren't challenged enough.

fullstop360.com/logo-design/photography

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)