• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

is uni hard? (1 Viewer)

orly?

HSC
say i wanted to do a computing course... how much hours a day would i have to study? whats the possiblity of failing uni?

oh btw: does anyone have old uni test papers? lol.

darkliight

I ponder, weak and weary
HSC
N/A
The number of hours you have to study would depend on how well you study/learn, how much stuff gets lumped on you any particular week, etc.

Whatever that number happens to be, put that work in and you'll get the marks out. The only possibility of failing uni is not doing that work.

HSC
politik said:
To get a UAI of 80, you need to study about two hours a week and continuous study five days a week before the exams. And you get 38 weeks to do it in.

To get a WAM of 80 at University, you need to study about 16 hours a week (4 per course) and continuous study seven days a week before exams. And you get 12 weeks to do it in. And many courses cover mammoth textbooks in this time. And about three times the content of an entire HSC year.

In other words, the HSC sucks cock and gives you no preparation for real study.
To be honest to get a UAI of 80 you only need to get marks 60-80 in your subjects, depending what you do and that's after scaling. IN uni they don't scale.

Uni is the HSC all over again, twice a year.

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
I guy i know who does pharmacy at uni said that uni was the hsc 2 times over in 4 weeks. He got dux at my school too.

Last edited:
HSC
S1M0 said:
I guy i know who does pharmacy at uni who said that uni was the hsc 2 times over in 4 weeks. He got dux at my school too.
Yeah thats probably more accurate. Point is HSC is nothing in comparison to uni, which has already been highlighted...whoops.

umop 3pisdn

Banned
HSC
politik said:
To get a UAI of 80, you need to study about two hours a week and continuous study five days a week before the exams. And you get 38 weeks to do it in.

To get a WAM of 80 at University, you need to study about 16 hours a week (4 per course) and continuous study seven days a week before exams. And you get 12 weeks to do it in. And many courses cover mammoth textbooks in this time. And about three times the content of an entire HSC year.

But:
80 at uni is a pretty good mark
80 uai is crap
by most people's standards anyway, so they're hardly comparable on a 1:1 basis

On the other hand, I claim that for the average person it's far easier to get 100 in a uni course than a 100 UAI.

The good thing about uni though is that if you want to bludge you can, and you can still pass (all 50's = you get your degree).

I think it's quite hard to fail, you only need 50.

Last edited:

umop 3pisdn

Banned
HSC
Haha sorry :eek:

But it shows that imo uai doesn't tell you how you'll go at uni because it's up to how much the individual decides to study at the time

Hours:
Some 1st year courses make hilarious claims like
As a general rule, the university expects three hours of your time for every one hour of class.
Probably to scare people (that course only had 3 contact hours, though)
The answer if you want good grades is really 'enough hours that you feel comfortable with everything you're learning'.

HSC
umop 3pisdn said:
Haha sorry :eek:

But it shows that imo uai doesn't tell you how you'll go at uni because it's up to how much the individual decides to study at the time

Hours:
Some 1st year courses make hilarious claims like
As a general rule, the university expects three hours of your time for every one hour of class.
Probably to scare people (that course only had 3 contact hours, though)
The answer if you want good grades is really 'enough hours that you feel comfortable with everything you're learning'.
Hahaha it's all good, UAI isn't an indicator of how well you will go anyway. My sister's WAM during her uni was higher than her UAI (which was lower than mine).

We are told to spend 12 hrs/week on every subject, so if 6 of those were contact hrs we would have to spend another 6 of study. If it was 3 contact hrs, we would have to spend another 9. I don't know too many people who follow that though, and still manage to scrape marks.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
It's hard and boring. The only thing that makes it 10 times better than the HSC is that you can drink and don't "have to" go to classes and drink. I think it's about 5 weeks in and I've missed about 15 lectures on purpose.

With maths, it's like learning in a week what would have taken a month in high school, you need to be proactive.

It's hard and you have to give a fuck to succeed.

umop 3pisdn said:
But:
80 at uni is a pretty good mark
80 uai is crap
80 UAI is the best if it gets you into the course you want. A WAM of 80 will probably get you the university medal.

Last edited:

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Some people can do nothing and get D's and some people can work heaps and barely pass. It's probably best to assume you are the second kind of person and then see how you go.

Loz_metalhead

HSC
You are expected to learn alot more content in a shorter time period.

The hsc is very simple compared to uni...The good thing is after the first semester, they can't test you on that content ever again. But most courses build on each other...

HSC
politik said:

bullshit. i don't know anyone that actually studies nearly an hour a day for each subject, or for a week continuously before exams, and everyone i know seems to pass pretty well. i pretty much study the night before exams, only do homework if i'm getting marks for it, and i'm yet to get below a credit (which at my uni is 80%, idk about other unis).

imo, uni is WAY easier than year 12.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
The workload also depends on what course you're doing. A friend of mine is doing MedSc (first year) and is doing quite a bit of work, but I'm doing Arts (also first year) and am doing rather less. That's partially because we have one or two assessments for the whole course, rather than ongoing assessment, but also because there's probably less to specifically memorise and understand than in courses, and more to just sort of take in.

At the moment, I'm feeling reasonably on top of the content we've been covering, and I'm doing barely anything out of classes except research for assessments and set reading. I get the sense that I'm doing more research than a lot of other people in my courses, though.

Loz_metalhead

HSC
katietheskatie said:
bullshit. i don't know anyone that actually studies nearly an hour a day for each subject, or for a week continuously before exams, and everyone i know seems to pass pretty well. i pretty much study the night before exams, only do homework if i'm getting marks for it, and i'm yet to get below a credit (which at my uni is 80%, idk about other unis).

imo, uni is WAY easier than year 12.
Depends on what degree you are doing. I'm doing commerce at unsw and the content is huge. At my uni 85% is a HD.

Last edited:

dude01

HSC
In my experience uni's easier than high school. In H.S its harder to get good marks, but in uni if u can bullshit mad essays (which don't even fit with the marking criteria) u can get awesome marks still because they see u as 'creative', whereas in H.S if u do this u get told off coz ur not answering the question the same way as everyone else :/

I do bus/law and this is what ive found... plus i like the fact that in uni no one tells me wat to do. i study on my own terms:)

circusmind

HSC
Uni is harder than HSC, but it's way more relaxed.

I night-befored my first Law exam and managed to not be a quivering mess walking in. I don't know, it's just a less tense vibe.

Edit: Also, the ability to whip up a rad essay which pretty much got me through high school is rewarded to the power of 10 in the Arts side of my uni studies, I've found. HDs are forthcoming if you can write well and don't fuck up your content.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)