Is uni really a fresh start? (1 Viewer)

enoilgam

HSC
So no more dirty jokes? D:
Mature in terms of outlook and the way in which people approach situations. Like, with some of my mates who have just finished Year 12, a lot of them are still very institutionalised by school and they are in transition between childhood and adulthood (it's hard to describe).

sirable1

HSC
Uni Grad
Uni is definitely a fresh start. Have the freedom to join clubs societies, the freedom to skip class (some), the freedom to take alternative classes (sleeping in the morning and joining a random at night - thats what I always do lol), the freedom to study and sleep at uni at 24hr facilities, the freedom to watch stuff at the end of the lecture room (experienced once on the same row) and much more.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Dirty jokes are fine around male friends, not all females will take them lightly ,

enoilgam

HSC
Dirty jokes are fine around male friends, not all females will take them lightly ,
I think it depends more on the context and crowd as opposed to gender. Some groups I hang out with rarely go there whilst others seem obsessed with it.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
you have pretty shit friends if you can't make dirty jokes (male or female)

I pity you

tashe

HSC
N/A
delivered with a touch of class.
Yay! We're all going to get classy! *wears monocle*

EDIT: I should stop with this immaturity.

Last edited:

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Ive heard a lot of people talk about uni as a fresh start. In my case i went to a school ranked ~600 so like all my friends are going tafe im the only going uni. Ive also kinda fallen out with them they werent the greatest people imo so i was just wondering whether its easy to start a completely new social life from purely uni alone whilst not knowing anyone there.
It is. I moved 7hrs North for uni and it's not hard if it's something you want/make a point to reach out to people. I guess with anything in life, input is often mirrored by the output you receive from it.

Lina3

HSC
I would say the majority of people would not know anyone in their uni courses so the odds are you will find someone in the same situation as you. This is true to such an extent that many Unis organize O-week to help you with the process. Plus, they have clubs and societies that you can join to meet like minded students from other courses. Like people have said previously, uni social life is what you make of it...but I would say it should certainly be classed as a 'fresh start'. Seriously, coming into such an exciting and dynamic atmosphere that has a 'cohort' about 50 times the size of your school one and just sticking purely with your group from high school is a little sad imho and a waste of a wonderful opportunity to grow and network.
Besides, if you think we have it tough, think of all the international students!

pHyRe

HSC
no. uni is high school all over again with no change whatsoever.

be ready to live the next 3+ years out in isolation.

Praer

HSC
Uni Grad
no. uni is high school all over again with no change whatsoever.

be ready to live the next 3+ years out in isolation.
You're gonna make him feel great

Hatake88

HSC
I went to a private school which was well ranked. I see my old grade like everywhere (societies, lectures, tutorials) and nearly every single day.

Gah.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
I went to a private school which was well ranked. I see my old grade like everywhere (societies, lectures, tutorials) and nearly every single day.

Gah.
Get out of your old social social and expand , in order to meet new people :3

Hatake88

HSC
Get out of your old social social and expand , in order to meet new people :3
I do. But they are EVERYWHERE. Its hard to just ignore them (though it does get awkward when I didn't know them too well in the first place).

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
the vast majority of ppl at my HS aren't going to my uni. yay.

Heydosaurus

HSC
If you're the only person going from your school, it should be a fresh start. In my case, around half of the year ended up getting accepted into the same university, so I haven't even made much of an attempt to meet new people, as I pretty much stepped into uni with so many established school friends into perhaps a 'Year 13'. I've absolutely met new friends, but I made little to no effort to go out and meet new people.

Lina3

HSC
I think going to the same Uni with the majority of your school year requires a very specific set of conditions most of the schools in NSW don't have. Normally, it happens to two types of people:
1) People from high ranked private schools who end up going to a 'prestigious' Uni (usually Usyd)
2) People from places where there is one university to which it is significantly more convenient to travel to on a daily basis (eg University of Woolongong)

BlueBerrySun

Banned
HSC
I think University does represent a fresh start. For example, you don't have to go to classes, you talk to older, more mature people, you interact with more experienced teachers, etc.. Those things mean that you will experience a different social life as well. I don't know about you, but it seems like people in High School are surrounded by more friends than those in University.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)