Is unilateral action a right of a superpower? (1 Viewer)

HSC
loquasagacious said:
Support for war always drops after the initial jingoism as people realise that it won't all be over by christmas....
This supports what I said about support under false pretences. As soon as the people realise "it won't be over by Christmas" as the government had them believe, then their support drops significantly.

How can survival and integrity of the state possibly be a secondary priority to anything else?
Perhaps I wasn't clear. My point was that the idea that international threat is the major concern of the State and that as such the survival of the State in an international sense is of primary importance is ignorant.
Of far more concern, at least in my opinion, are the problems that face a nation internally. Things such as crime and poverty, which present far more of a threat to a nation then other nations.
Furthermore, you're ideas on distrusting everyone are ridiculous. If you initially perceive everyone as a threat then of course they are going to present a threat and you risk increasing hostilities with other nations simply due to a preconceived idea. Similarly if you initially perceive everyone as a friend then you will act accordingly and you risk compromising your security due to misplaced trust.
This my argument is that we must enter in to situations with an open mind, only then can we decide who presents a friend or a foe, free of preconceived notions.

Prepare to lead a life of being screwed.
As opposed to a life of screwing?

I present some elementary game theory: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prisoner%27s_dilemma enjoy. In a situation of non-cooperation the rational thing is to betray the other/strike first/etc.

Yes but mutual cooperation is a far more beneficial outcome for the greater good. If nations were to cooperate then the world would be a far better place. Instead you are advocating fucking 'the weak' over for personal gain. I say that is selfish, immoral and just general fucking bullshit reallly.

Again and again I say that this is not so much a theory for how things should be, but a guide to how they are.

Then why is game theory called a theory. I say it is not how things are at all it is how you perceive them to be.

Also realism dictates that as one state rises to dominance this will push smaller states into alliances against it which thus re-equalises the situation.
But there can be no equality if:

a) you advocate the idea of defection presented in game theory.
b) States must be internationally competitive.
c) The strong have a 'right' to unilateral action.

And also what exactly would be wrong with only one remaining state? (disregarding concerns we would not be that state).
It would require the destruction of all others.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I really couldn't be bothered reading this whole thread, but I think that everybody owes allegience to the non-aggression axiom, and levels of government are merely there to enforce this axiom. Addymac's arguments are not based upon those of a classical liberal base, but upon the maintenance of order through a stratified system of who's in charge of who, which in my opinion falls closer to a conservative view.

To maintain freedom under his philsophy one would need to create an international government with a duty to member states, and they with a duty to it, and this is unnecessarily complicated when states can be prevented from attacking others through clauses in their constitutions, which, if broken, betray a duty to the world as a whole, and could be enforced by other states.

Comrade nathan

HSC
loquasagacious:

I can't see any point continuing any discussion since you belief that free trade and imperialism are two seperate systems and so unilateral action under one of the systems is different. There is no proof there is any difference. There is no equal trade under free trade, as the developed nations use unilateral action to push liberal economic ideologies on developing nations. This results in basically worker 3rd world nations for bourgeois 1st world. There is no case of 3rd world nations after years of being dominated by the marking changing this situation. There is no case where a nation has just turn liberal without conflict, internal or external.

On imperialism, nationalism isn't the determining factor, economics is. For instance Iran with all it's nationalist rhetoric, is not a imperialist nation. It has not developed to the standard that is required. It may become expansionist, but that is not the same as imperialism. Nationalism can stem from imperialism, but imperialism can not just grow out of ideas. Ideology follows economic basis.

We can't go much further in debate, since we are still debating on what imperialism is. If the basis of the arguement is not agreed on then we are basically arguing on different things as it progresses. I would aslo rather not procede in such a manner as it results in contradictions in my arguement.

Last edited:

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Brucemaster said:
This supports what I said about support under false pretences. As soon as the people realise "it won't be over by Christmas" as the government had them believe, then their support drops significantly.
This is becoming a chicken before the egg argument, does the populace ever genuinly support war or are they manipulated into doing so by the govt/media/conspiracy theory/etc. I tend towards the former, yourself the later.

My point was that the idea that international threat is the major concern of the State and that as such the survival of the State in an international sense is of primary importance is ignorant.
Of far more concern, at least in my opinion, are the problems that face a nation internally. Things such as crime and poverty, which present far more of a threat to a nation then other nations.
The states basis is protection from the external danger, interanl concerns have been added as aiding the external concern or making the state friendlier. They do not however form the primary goal. As evidenciary support I would suggest examining the history of the modern state which I hold grew from inter-european warfare and competition and also considering that ultra small govt supporters like waf would see the state stripped back to providing basically defence/foriegn relations and policing/judiacry roles.

you're ideas on distrusting everyone are ridiculous. If you initially perceive everyone as a threat then of course they are going to present a threat and you risk increasing hostilities with other nations simply due to a preconceived idea. Similarly if you initially perceive everyone as a friend then you will act accordingly and you risk compromising your security due to misplaced trust.
This my argument is that we must enter in to situations with an open mind, only then can we decide who presents a friend or a foe, free of preconceived notions.
So initially we should neither trust nor distrust states? But rather attatch trust when they are trustworthy (which sounds fine) but more importantly attatch distrust when they prove distrustworthy (which is not so good in practice).

If we take a little hypothetical it is a sorry situation to be in if you are stuck distrusting say Russia after it has proven a distrustworthy state by bombing you back to the stoneage with nuclear weapons....

That is to say that it is almost useless to distrust in retrospect or otherwise post-distrustworthy incident as it inevitably places yourself in a position of weakness vis-a-vis the other party and will lead directly to you getting fucked.

As opposed to a life of screwing?
Well given the two choices as mutually exclusive and a choice compulsory, would you rather be screwed or screwing?

Yes but mutual cooperation is a far more beneficial outcome for the greater good. If nations were to cooperate then the world would be a far better place. Instead you are advocating fucking 'the weak' over for personal gain. I say that is selfish, immoral and just general fucking bullshit reallly(sic).
Correct co-operation is the optimum and is heavily advocated by neo-liberal institutionalists (eg internationalists) for this reason as it maximises absolute gains. However in practice this has proven time and again unworkable, just look at the league of nations and then the UN....

Why is game theory called a theory.
Straw man. Game theory is the name for an area of study, it is called a thoery because it is hard to derive laws in such a field of study. I would also remind you of the theory of relativity and the theory of evolution.

But there can be no equality if:

a) you advocate the idea of defection presented in game theory.
b) States must be internationally competitive.
c) The strong have a 'right' to unilateral action.
a)This is countered by the strong incentive to co-operate presented to smaller powers by the dominant power. Also defection in game theory relies on not co-operating/a strong disincentive to co-operate whereas this is a different scenario having a strong incentive to co-operate and no bars on co-operation.
b)Please explain.
c)An integral part of the incentive to co-operate against the superpower as argued in a.

It would require the destruction of all others.
How is this not in the interests of the remaining state?

Also given your desire for a world government, how is this not in the interests of the greater good?

waf said:
I really couldn't be bothered reading this whole thread, but I think that everybody owes allegience to the non-aggression axiom, and levels of government are merely there to enforce this axiom. Addymac's arguments are not based upon those of a classical liberal base, but upon the maintenance of order through a stratified system of who's in charge of who, which in my opinion falls closer to a conservative view.
Disappointed you didnt read the whole thread, it would've been illumination to compare and contrast your views with the more ah communist of respondents.

Why does everybody owe allegience to non-aggression? I would argue that aggression is in our genes.

I agree that realism is a conservative view of international relations however it has been entrenched since the inception of the state and has weathered successive challenges which indicates its vitality as a theory.

To maintain freedom under his philsophy one would need to create an international government with a duty to member states, and they with a duty to it, and this is unnecessarily complicated when states can be prevented from attacking others through clauses in their constitutions, which, if broken, betray a duty to the world as a whole, and could be enforced by other states.
Actually this is pretty much neo-liberal institutionalism (internationalism), realists contend that such organisations are doomed to failure because states (esp strong ones) will not give up their soveriegnty or power to an international government.

nathan said:
I can't see any point continuing any discussion since you belief that free trade and imperialism are two seperate systems and so unilateral action under one of the systems is different. There is no proof there is any difference. There is no equal trade under free trade, as the developed nations use unilateral action to push liberal economic ideologies on developing nations. This results in basically worker 3rd world nations for bourgeois 1st world. There is no case of 3rd world nations after years of being dominated by the marking changing this situation. There is no case where a nation has just turn liberal without conflict, internal or external.
A statement does not constitute an argument, why exactly do you hold imperialism and free trade as one and the same? You have not answered my charge that imperialism is linked with mercantlist economics and free trade with neo-liberal economics, nor their virulent opposition to each other.

On imperialism, nationalism isn't the determining factor, economics is. For instance Iran with all it's nationalist rhetoric, is not a imperialist nation. It has not developed to the standard that is required. It may become expansionist, but that is not the same as imperialism. Nationalism can stem from imperialism, but imperialism can not just grow out of ideas. Ideology follows economic basis.
Economics (or more acurately power) is merely an enabler, nationalism is the will to empire.

Also out of interest differentiate between imperialist and expansionist.

We can't go much further in debate, since we are still debating on what imperialism is. If the basis of the arguement is not agreed on then we are basically arguing on different things as it progresses. I would aslo rather not procede in such a manner as it results in contradictions in my arguement.
What a fucking cop out.

I will happily argue what constitutes imperialism and what drives it if that will help.

HSC
loquasagacious said:
The states basis is protection from the external danger, interanl concerns have been added as aiding the external concern or making the state friendlier. They do not however form the primary goal. As evidenciary support I would suggest examining the history of the modern state which I hold grew from inter-european warfare and competition and also considering that ultra small govt supporters like waf would see the state stripped back to providing basically defence/foriegn relations and policing/judiacry roles.
I would contend that, certainly in Australia's case, internal threats to the nation were the first to appear. The conflict between Aborigines and Settlers being one example, also the Eureka Stockade etc. etc. are all internal threats that came well before any external threat to national security. Thus i would argue that internal threats are of far greater concern to a nation then external threats.
First of all external threats, at least regarding developed nations, only arise due to an involvement in the international arena, the USA being a classic example of this: due to their heavy involvement in the Middle East they have become a significant target for terrorist groups and even nations (Iran being the obvious example).
Switzerland, however, well known for its neutrality in international affairs, has enjoyed a rather peaceful existence and as such can focus on domestic issues, which has signifcantly benefited the Swiss people.
Obviously Australia cannot suddenly become neutral, that is impossible, my point is that this idea of the external threat being the primary concern
a) arises out of a conscious choice of the State rather than an inherent concern and
b) detriments domestic concerns.

So initially we should neither trust nor distrust states? But rather attatch trust when they are trustworthy (which sounds fine) but more importantly attatch distrust when they prove distrustworthy (which is not so good in practice).

If we take a little hypothetical it is a sorry situation to be in if you are stuck distrusting say Russia after it has proven a distrustworthy state by bombing you back to the stoneage with nuclear weapons....

That is to say that it is almost useless to distrust in retrospect or otherwise post-distrustworthy incident as it inevitably places yourself in a position of weakness vis-a-vis the other party and will lead directly to you getting fucked.
OK
a) A nation's first action towards another State is not going to be a nuclear strike, it is not even going to be military action of any sort. Russia will not wake up one morning and just spontaneously decide to launch a nuclear strike on us.
If Russia does not like us it is going to be evident before they launch a nuclear strike.
My point is that we should enter in to international relations with an open mind and not a preconceived notion that will affect our relations with the rest of the world.
So we judge tem by their attitude towards key issues, their behaviour in the past, their motivations and so on and not simply go in either trusting or distrusting them to start with.

Well given the two choices as mutually exclusive and a choice compulsory, would you rather be screwed or screwing?
Mutually exclusive, yes, compulsory, certainly not.

Correct co-operation is the optimum and is heavily advocated by neo-liberal institutionalists (eg internationalists) for this reason as it maximises absolute gains. However in practice this has proven time and again unworkable, just look at the league of nations and then the UN....
So we then should go to the other extreme and simply fuck everyone else over because they are weak? Hitler anyone?

Straw man. Game theory is the name for an area of study, it is called a thoery because it is hard to derive laws in such a field of study. I would also remind you of the theory of relativity and the theory of evolution.
Fair point, but i think comparing game theory to the theories of relativity and evolution is stretching the point a tad.

a)This is countered by the strong incentive to co-operate presented to smaller powers by the dominant power. Also defection in game theory relies on not co-operating/a strong disincentive to co-operate whereas this is a different scenario having a strong incentive to co-operate and no bars on co-operation.
b)Please explain.
c)An integral part of the incentive to co-operate against the superpower as argued in a.
a) But these smaller powers are going to be destroyed even if they do cooperate unless they form a superpower that destroys all other States thus they will be the only remaining State. Even still, it is likely that the separate nations within this alliance will then destroy each other until only one is left ruling the world so to speak.
Whereas if ALL nations cooperated with each other there would be no destruction necessary and all would be strong.

b) You say that the instinct of competition is inherent in people and thus nations. Thus the whole scenario of international darwinism we have been discussing. Therefore there can be no equality if we are all competing with each other.

c) as in a)

How is this not in the interests of the remaining state?
It is. Im more concerned with the other 300 or so States that "had to be destroyed" in order for that one remaining state to prosper.

Also given your desire for a world government, how is this not in the interests of the greater good?
Ahhhhh, say what? World Government? I am not a Marxist, please do not make assumptions about my character.
In any event the greater good is not benefited by the destruction of all States bar one.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Brucemaster said:
I would contend that, certainly in Australia's case, internal threats to the nation were the first to appear. The conflict between Aborigines and Settlers being one example, also the Eureka Stockade etc. etc. are all internal threats that came well before any external threat to national security. Thus i would argue that internal threats are of far greater concern to a nation then external threats.
Wrong again. I would say that the, percieved, asian threat - the 'yellow peril' was a far greater motivating force for federation than a need to oppress aborignes and miners....

First of all external threats, at least regarding developed nations, only arise due to an involvement in the international arena, the USA being a classic example of this: due to their heavy involvement in the Middle East they have become a significant target for terrorist groups and even nations (Iran being the obvious example).
Chicken before the egg time again. Does the US bring attacks onto itself by involvement in the world or is it drawn into the world by attacks? Given the historic examples of US isolationism I would suggest the later. At most a viscous cycle exists.

Switzerland, however, well known for its neutrality in international affairs, has enjoyed a rather peaceful existence and as such can focus on domestic issues, which has signifcantly benefited the Swiss people.
You almost make this point for me and prove the primacy of external concerns with this example. Switzerland became neutral (through a series of treaties with other european powers) and then, and only then, was able to be far more internally concerned. Though it is also worthwhile to raise the state of swiss national security here, it is not just ensured by a series of treaties the swiss maintain perhaps the most comprehensive system of national service in the world. Every adult is a well trained, well armed soldier. This clearly proves the importance of external threats even to an erstwhile neutral state like the swiss.

a) A nation's first action towards another State is not going to be a nuclear strike, it is not even going to be military action of any sort. Russia will not wake up one morning and just spontaneously decide to launch a nuclear strike on us.
If Russia does not like us it is going to be evident before they launch a nuclear strike.
My point is that we should enter in to international relations with an open mind and not a preconceived notion that will affect our relations with the rest of the world.
So we judge tem by their attitude towards key issues, their behaviour in the past, their motivations and so on and not simply go in either trusting or distrusting them to start with.
This challenges the example, which was deliberately extreme for illustrative purposes, and sidesteps the actual argument. That is that it is better to distrust as to distrust does not leave oneself open to attack (of any sort). Furthermore the question of non-state actors on the world stage was earlier raised, surely you do not suggest that we approach terrorist groups with 'an open mind'?

Though overall for the simple reasons of prior examples this issue is largely moot as we are not in the situation of interacting with any state for the first time. Rather we have a wealth of our own and others experience to draw upon and make judgement with.

However given game theory I maintain my position that the rational action is to not trust as the payoff for betrayal/defection by the other party is high. As a note if we apply game theory to say the cold war, it is directly in our interests (interest=averting nuclear war) to encourage as much co-operation between east adn est as possible as this reduces the chance of war.

So we then should go to the other extreme and simply fuck everyone else over because they are weak? Hitler anyone?
Ironically enough you have again compounded my point, the league of nations was unable to deal with Hitler which proved its ineffective nature.

(aside: I'm sure that Andropov/Iron would accuse me of being more like Goebels.... for his part his social life bears a striking resemblence to Ernst Rhoms...)

a) But these smaller powers are going to be destroyed even if they do cooperate unless they form a superpower that destroys all other States thus they will be the only remaining State. Even still, it is likely that the separate nations within this alliance will then destroy each other until only one is left ruling the world so to speak.
Whereas if ALL nations cooperated with each other there would be no destruction necessary and all would be strong.
If all nations (or rather states as representatives of nations) co-operated then would that not effect a gradual transition to a singular state?

Also you may have noticed the difficulty in getting a consensus opinion among say a conventional internal parliament, what makes you think a global 'parliament of nations' would be any different? Lack of a consensus would create factions which would become alliances, etc etc the system falls apart and things return to their natural state.

And as far as your argument of ultimately one state emerging this seems unlikley for several reasons:
1)It hasn't happened yet.
2)Logistical difficulties of conquering the world.
3)Your logic dictates that as competition continues the pool of 'contestants' would narrow and narrow and then a situation of a handful of great powers would exist. However conflict between these would be MAD (Mutually Assured Destruction) and thus unlikely.

b) You say that the instinct of competition is inherent in people and thus nations. Thus the whole scenario of international darwinism we have been discussing. Therefore there can be no equality if we are all competing with each other.
When did I say there would (was, or should) be equality?

Ahhhhh, say what? World Government? I am not a Marxist, please do not make assumptions about my character.
In any event the greater good is not benefited by the destruction of all States bar one.
I got a giggle out of this one. However I do think it pertinent to point out that your beliefs in global co-operation, etc etc run in the direction of a world government....

So leaving aside the means side of things do you think that a world government would be a good ends?

Last edited:
HSC
loquasagacious said:
Wrong again. I would say that the, percieved, asian threat - the 'yellow peril' was a far greater motivating force for federation than a need to oppress aborignes and miners....
That may be so (although it can never be substantiated) but the point of my argument is that the State at least should be primarily concerned with domestic problems. If it sees its primary goal as the defence of the nation from external threats then it will neglect domestic concerns i.e. health, education, crime and so on.

Chicken before the egg time again. Does the US bring attacks onto itself by involvement in the world or is it drawn into the world by attacks? Given the historic examples of US isolationism I would suggest the later. At most a viscous cycle exists.
I think you mean vicious but no matter. The USA's isolationism ended when it entered World War One. Following that it began to play an ever increasing role in international politics, President's Wilson's domination of the Versailles Conference is but one testament to this.
As to the example of terrorist attacks i would say that American involvement in the Middle East came before the terrorist threat. Thus the chicken came before the egg so to speak.

You almost make this point for me and prove the primacy of external concerns with this example. Switzerland became neutral (through a series of treaties with other european powers) and then, and only then, was able to be far more internally concerned. Though it is also worthwhile to raise the state of swiss national security here, it is not just ensured by a series of treaties the swiss maintain perhaps the most comprehensive system of national service in the world. Every adult is a well trained, well armed soldier. This clearly proves the importance of external threats even to an erstwhile neutral state like the swiss.
Nay, i think it shows that by choosing to steer away from a focus on international politics a nation is far better off as it can focus on domestic issues. Of course if there are any external threats you have to deal with them but the nation should not primarily concern itself with national security to the detriment of domestic issues.

This challenges the example, which was deliberately extreme for illustrative purposes, and sidesteps the actual argument. That is that it is better to distrust as to distrust does not leave oneself open to attack (of any sort). Furthermore the question of non-state actors on the world stage was earlier raised, surely you do not suggest that we approach terrorist groups with 'an open mind'?
Firstly, i aimed to challenge the argument through the example as it was implicit in the scenario.
Your argument seems to assume that at the very instant we choose to trust someone in any way they will fuck us up somehow. Even if we approach international relations with an open mind then this will still happen if not all the time then at least on one occassion. This is simply unrealistic.
I am not suggesting that we constantly approach every nation with an open mind all the time and just naively float around the international round table so to speak. Rather we should not enter in to diplomacy with a reconceived notion of other nations. Instead we should reserve judgement until we have a thorough knowledge of the situation, the nations concerned and the issues that arise and then we can make a judgement that will affect our future dealings with a nation.
If we simply enter in to international relations with a pre-conceived notion of distrusting other nations we do ourselves no favours as it merely perpetuates distrust amongst other nations.

As to your second point, quite simply, yes. Im not saying reserve judgement, I'm saying that one must consider all the facts and circumstances etc. surrounding a situation before jumping to conclusions about certaing things.

Though overall for the simple reasons of prior examples this issue is largely moot as we are not in the situation of interacting with any state for the first time. Rather we have a wealth of our own and others experience to draw upon and make judgement with.
Yes, of course but this is what I am saying, we cannot enter in to relations with a pre-conceived idea of distrust (maybe idea is not the right word, attitude is probably more apt) because that will influence how we view all the facts, circumstances etc. that surround other nations.

However given game theory I maintain my position that the rational action is to not trust as the payoff for betrayal/defection by the other party is high. As a note if we apply game theory to say the cold war, it is directly in our interests (interest=averting nuclear war) to encourage as much co-operation between east adn est as possible as this reduces the chance of war.
So distrust is the rational thing to do yet cooperation is the beneficial thing to do???

Ironically enough you have again compounded my point, the league of nations was unable to deal with Hitler which proved its ineffective nature.
Yet you have missed the point entirely, you advocate a foreign policy of competition that stresses the survival/dominance of the strong over the weak and seem to support the idea of an eventually victorious lone state.
This idea is directly comparable to Hitler's ideas on the master race and struggle.

If all nations (or rather states as representatives of nations) co-operated then would that not effect a gradual transition to a singular state?
Not at all. Consider a neighbourhood where everyone is friends with each other and frequently socialises, yet they all still live their separate lives and live in their own houses.
Same deal with the world.

Also you may have noticed the difficulty in getting a consensus opinion among say a conventional internal parliament, what makes you think a global 'parliament of nations' would be any different? Lack of a consensus would create factions which would become alliances, etc etc the system falls apart and things return to their natural state.
I agree entirely.

The only problem is I never advocated an international parliament

And as far as your argument of ultimately one state emerging this seems unlikley for several reasons:
1)It hasn't happened yet.
2)Logistical difficulties of conquering the world.
3)Your logic dictates that as competition continues the pool of 'contestants' would narrow and narrow and then a situation of a handful of great powers would exist. However conflict between these would be MAD (Mutually Assured Destruction) and thus unlikely.
So despite advocating this very idea of the singular State for a large part of this thread you now admit it has certain practical fallacies?
It was never my argument i was merely summarising your own.

When did I say there would (was, or should) be equality?
Here:
[Also realism dictates that as one state rises to dominance this will push smaller states into alliances against it which thus re-equalises the situation.
I got a giggle out of this one. However I do think it pertinent to point out that your beliefs in global co-operation, etc etc run in the direction of a world government....
I beg to differ, not all left hand turns lead to communism...

So leaving aside the means side of things do you think that a world government would be a good ends?
No even leaving aside the practical considerations i dont really believe in it. I think it may be a distant possibility given the rise of globalisation and the free market but i wouldnt be a fan.

Sorry to disappoint.

Last edited:

transcendent

HSC
N/A
lets take for example China who was overly concerned with domestic issues to the point of being a rather large target due to their primitive civilisation in comparison to other nations. suddenly other nations wanted a piece of China when China did nothing to provoke them. China was forced to advance and enter the international market and deal with other nations. it has only been concerned with civil wars and barbarian invasions until the 'west' intervened.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Sorry this was so long in the coming, I've been busy.

brucemaster said:
That may be so (although it can never be substantiated) but the point of my argument is that the State at least should be primarily concerned with domestic problems. If it sees its primary goal as the defence of the nation from external threats then it will neglect domestic concerns i.e. health, education, crime and so on.
The yellow peril motivation for federation is the consensus opinion and strongly supported by primary evidence.

Why should the state concern itself primarily with domestic issues, the basis of the state is defence from the external. It always has been. It is also the constant you will find across the political spectrum (except communists and this is only when the army is suppressing their 'revolution' not exporting it...).

As to the example of terrorist attacks i would say that American involvement in the Middle East came before the terrorist threat. Thus the chicken came before the egg so to speak.
And what took America there? Strategic interest. The middle-east is oil rich which is important and also the key to several geopolitical choke points. For the former reason it is especially (and perhaps increasingly) important for the next 40 years, for the later it will always be important.

Given their strategic interest the US will not withdraw from the middle-east. Regardless of terror attacks.

As far as a root cause of the terror attacks though there are at least four primary causes:
1)Reaction against foreigners eg americans (in this instance).
2)Israel.
3)The arab states internal problems.
4)US policy.

i think it shows that by choosing to steer away from a focus on international politics a nation is far better off as it can focus on domestic issues. Of course if there are any external threats you have to deal with them but the nation should not primarily concern itself with national security to the detriment of domestic issues.
You do make a valid point, however we can't all be switzerland....

Now we are getting into the question of balancing national security spending against other spending. I would note here that as a percentage of GDP military spending is always far behind such things as welfare, except in times of war.

Your argument seems to assume that at the very instant we choose to trust someone in any way they will fuck us up somehow. Even if we approach international relations with an open mind then this will still happen if not all the time then at least on one occassion. This is simply unrealistic.
Qualify this statement, explain how the 'open-minded' approach will never backfire.

We should not enter in to diplomacy with a reconceived notion of other nations. Instead we should reserve judgement until we have a thorough knowledge of the situation, the nations concerned and the issues that arise and then we can make a judgement that will affect our future dealings with a nation.
If we simply enter in to international relations with a pre-conceived notion of distrusting other nations we do ourselves no favours as it merely perpetuates distrust amongst other nations.

As to your second point, quite simply, yes. Im not saying reserve judgement, I'm saying that one must consider all the facts and circumstances etc. surrounding a situation before jumping to conclusions about certaing things.
You seem to think that we dont make informed decisions, we have intelligence agencies and DFAT to provide information on demand.

You have still failed to explain why our default approach should be cynicism/distrust. The trojans for instance should have been a little less open minded about a certain huge wooden horse.

Also what about situation requiring snap decision and not allowing the time for lengthy analysis?

So distrust is the rational thing to do yet cooperation is the beneficial thing to do???
Distrust is the rational approach in a prisoners dilemma which is a non-co-operative game. Both players will seek to maximise their relative gains. However from our view from the ivory tower of such proceedings we can see that the absolute gains are higher if they co-operate.

In nuclear war co-operation is beneficial as this means no nuclear war, however in say business non-co-operation is preferable (for the consumer) as this prevents oligarchies and keeps the prices down.

Yet you have missed the point entirely, you advocate a foreign policy of competition that stresses the survival/dominance of the strong over the weak and seem to support the idea of an eventually victorious lone state.
This idea is directly comparable to Hitler's ideas on the master race and struggle.
You misconstrue:

I do not advocate international relations of competition; I advocate neo-liberal globalisation doing away with IR, I do however present a competitive IR as the way things are and the paradigm we must operate under.

I do not believe one state will emerge, I was using that example as a hypothetical extreme to illustrate my point earlier.

Not at all. Consider a neighbourhood where everyone is friends with each other and frequently socialises, yet they all still live their separate lives and live in their own houses.
Very nice. A good sound-byte that puts it out there at the common mans level. I like it.

So despite advocating this very idea of the singular State for a large part of this thread you now admit it has certain practical fallacies?
It was never my argument i was merely summarising your own.
I never argued in favour of a singular state, I was infact asking you to differentiate between a singular state through war and a singular state through world government. Infact only a couple of lines after this you quote me as saying that a singular state will not emerge because smaller states will co-operate against it, furthermore much of my game-theory argument deals with this issue.

Equality straw man argument.
This is an obvious straw man because you are taking two seperate issues and applying my stance on one to the other. And suggesting my differing stances are contradictory when they are not.

Let us take your starting point; my statement that yes the international system could perhaps be viewed in terms of Darwinistic competition. And that given this it was clearly not a competition of equals, no two states are the same, they have different abilities, strengths, weaknesses etc. It is blatantly obvious that individual states are not equal.

Then you quote me in reference to a single-states dominance being counterbalanced by a collection of smaller states which returns an equilibrium to the power-balance.

The problem here is that in the first instance I was talking about individual states and in the second alliances had come into play. My positions are far from contradictory as they are actually complimentary, that is to say darwinistic competition forces multiple small weak states to align togther against a large powerful ones. Simple strength of numbers versus brute force, we can draw examples from the animal world if need be.

To expand slightly on my later point about re-balancing the power balance, this is a simple position that the constant competition between states will always see a balance of sorts emerge. When one state becomes more powerful others will seek to become more powerful than it, so on and so forth the result being we constantly move around in a rough equilibrium.

However when there is no real equilbrium as in the case of our current hyper-power the USA they are far more likely to be interventionist, dictatorial powers on the world stage. However this will be short-lived as invariably the USA will decline and others will rise.

I beg to differ, not all left hand turns lead to communism...
Correct they all lead to capitalism, as having reached whatever communist/socialist utopia (dystopia) everyone turns around and says; this is shit its time to make a turn back to capitalism.

Transcendent a great example of the failure of a state that concerned itself domestically. To add to it I would point to Japan, who saw what happened in China and then engaged with the world and rapidly modernised to prevent the same fate befalling it.

spell check

HSC
loquasagacious said:
I advocate neo-liberal globalisation doing away with IR,
please prove this point instead of just repeating it ad nauseum

the policies of the most powerful states - the US, EU, Japan etc much more closely resemble mercantilism than neo-liberalism, and they hardly look to be changing any time soon. neo-liberalism also failed miserably to achieve development in latin america or africa, rather it caused economic, social and political devastation.
rich countries tend promote neo-liberal policies abroad, but this is only to serve their own self interest of maintaing cheap labour, cheap resources, deregulated environments and capital markets etc. for example the US Africa Growth and Opportunity Act entailed free trade in everything Africa did NOT produce well, and excluded goods it was competitive in such as peanuts or tobacco.

i hardly think the world is moving towards some sort of neo-liberal utopia (or dystopia if you are poor) where countries don't compete and nationalist identities don't exist.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
loquasagacious said:
The yellow peril motivation for federation is the consensus opinion and strongly supported by primary evidence.
I submit that economic reasons for federation were at least equal to, if not greater than, coordinating defence forces better. At any rate, Britain was always the only one who could effectivley help out there. Coordinating defence was probably an effort to look better in a British war, rather than have all that Boer confusion.
Federation was in the context of domestic economic woes. The need to abolish internal tariffs and protect Australian business from imports was at least as high as defence reasons, and certainly the more pressing issue at the time.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Spell Check said:
please prove this point instead of just repeating it ad nauseum
I'm pleased to see that you are finally engaging in the debate this thread afterall being the realisation of our tiff in the ANZAC thread.

On the other hand we are yet to see evidence of your towering intellect and almost completed 'IR degree'.... Or perhaps even a semblence of literacy and comprehension given the quoted statement which seems to have been made in ignorance of the following:

me said:
neo-liberalism appeals to and harnesses our basic instincts of competition, specifically greed and individualism.

Neo-liberalism is in this sense a bottom-up movement (and could thus be defined as a revolution) it is driven by the desires of the masses. It is the ideology of the free market which is perhaps the ultimate expression of human nature, it is our very nature to form and participate in such markets.

To improve productivity and efficiency governments have been progressively reducing and removing interventions in markets (tariffs, subsidies, quotas, price floors and ceilings, etc) a direct result of this has been an increasing global economic integration. As we harness comparative advantage (to yield an increase in absolute production and welfare) we have become increasingly integrated.

This has two critical byproducts:
* Capital and labour move increasingly freely and with decreasing state allegiance which is a challenge to the notion of the state as the representative of the nation;* the nation becoming part of a larger global community and representing itself.
* The state (and its fellows) is decreasingly able to wage war, which requires a state of autarky – of which neo-liberalism is the obverse.

Basically the state is becoming progressively smaller internally in the name of economic efficiency a pattern that is being repeated externally and is seeing declining the importance of the state as the power of non-state actors increases.

The state is based upon a nation and a territory and the defense of both, it logically ceases to exist when the distinctive nation disappears and the sovereignty of territory disappears. I therefore predict that as neo-liberal globalization accelerates the world will become increasingly integrated and interdependent. Individual nations, as marked by culture, will become parts of a greater whole. The capacity and will of states to wage war will decline and ultimately (eventually) the state will wither away.

As the state dies so does our current system of International Relations
I remind you of the abscene of a european war in the last ~60 years and the presence of neo-liberal integration (within europe).
What would you like now? Me to give a lecture or two on neo-liberalism? How about you attempt to articulate a challenge to what I have said or implied and then I tear it apart?

Terrible Spellor said:
the policies of the most powerful states - the US, EU, Japan etc much more closely resemble mercantilism than neo-liberalism, and they hardly look to be changing any time soon. neo-liberalism also failed miserably to achieve development in latin america or africa, rather it caused economic, social and political devastation.
rich countries tend promote neo-liberal policies abroad, but this is only to serve their own self interest of maintaing cheap labour, cheap resources, deregulated environments and capital markets etc. for example the US Africa Growth and Opportunity Act entailed free trade in everything Africa did NOT produce well, and excluded goods it was competitive in such as peanuts or tobacco.

i hardly think the world is moving towards some sort of neo-liberal utopia (or dystopia if you are poor) where countries don't compete and nationalist identities don't exist.
At last you acknowledge a distinction between mercantilism and neo-liberalism - I can taste the progress we're making here.

As far as your challenge that they are not changing my answer is two-fold:

Over time EU/US/Japan are becoming less mercantilist.
We must agitate for change, surely a revolutionary such as yourself is familiar with the concept?

Also as more companies become involved in the third world and the resource markets become competitive (as opposed to monopsonistic) wages will go up and raw material prices similarly. Also environmental issues can be pressed harder. More not less multi-nationals is the answer. Expect a thread on this topic.

Frau Iron (Iron Frau or StaFrau even) said:
I submit that economic reasons for federation were at least equal to, if not greater than, coordinating defence forces better. At any rate, Britain was always the only one who could effectivley help out there. Coordinating defence was probably an effort to look better in a British war, rather than have all that Boer confusion.
Federation was in the context of domestic economic woes. The need to abolish internal tariffs and protect Australian business from imports was at least as high as defence reasons, and certainly the more pressing issue at the time.
Your second paragraph reinforces my position that federation was driven by outsiders. Originally I stated it was driven by a percieved military threat of the yellow peril, now you contend it was driven by a percieved economic threat (chinks/kanakas taking our jobs, cheap imports killing local producers etc) of the yellow peril.

Either way I win because federation was driven by fears of an external threat.

In sum federation stemmed from:
*A pericieved need to better defend ourselves.
*A percieved need for a closer relationship with the UK to defend ourselves (which would be aided by a united Australia).
*A percieved need to defend ourselves from asian economic competition.
*I win.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
But at the time the only Asian worth noticing was Japan, and they were still a bit of a joke, with their inferior quality produce.
The white australia policy was also important and tied in with the economic fears, but the domestic red tape was the greatest practical impediment to better business.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Perhaps japan was the only one rationally worth noting (and militarily I would argue they were very worthy of noting..) however at what point did I suggest that any of this was what we would regard as objectively rational?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Without much expert knowledge here, I'd also assume that the White Australia hype wasnt rational. It was just another motivation for federation. Basically, the pressing domestic issues weren't exciting enough, but they were the main objective.
I mean, the kanakas were employed for a reason... just like Nike employes south-east asia.
Filthy neo-liberal bitch.

spell check

HSC
loquasagacious said:
I'm pleased to see that you are finally engaging in the debate this thread afterall being the realisation of our tiff in the ANZAC thread.
the so-called 'debate' in this thread is not worth my time to participate in. you don't need to be kofi annan to see the gaping holes in your arguments here.
if we could get back to the point here, that 'unilateral action is a right of a superpower' - which is a nonsense in itself, given the word 'right' denotes something conferred through a superior legal authority, what exactly is the debate?

is your argument that 'unilateral action' (the breach of international law) is something that superpowers should be encouraged to pursue, and that only superpowers should be afforded this right? is your argument that this is a good thing for the world?

now you are arguing that 'neoliberal globalisation' is going to lead the world to utopia?
but neo-liberal policies failed on a biblical scale in africa and latin america to do anything other than aggravate social, economic and political devastation. neoliberalism is incompatible with the policies of the rich states. It is an ideology imposed on the people of the third world by the elites in the first and third worlds.

just as in the ANZAC thread, where you argued that it was in the interests of Australia to send men to die needlessly in world war one, your propositions in this thread make no sense and you are defending ideologies which have been shown to be harmful to most of the worlds population - realism and neoliberalism.

Sarah

HSC
N/A
loquasagacious said:
Also as more companies become involved in the third world and the resource markets become competitive (as opposed to monopsonistic) wages will go up and raw material prices similarly. Also environmental issues can be pressed harder. More not less multi-nationals is the answer. Expect a thread on this topic.
Well even in the developed world, neoliberalism hasn't made all markets competitive and I'm extending this idea to markets other than resource markets. You can even see that in Australia (both now and in Aust's economic history).

With the issue of resources, doesn't economics consider labour as part of resources? If so, you can easily argue that barriers to immigration still exist.

I agree with Spell Check, most countries still have policies which resemble a Mercantalist approach. Sure you may say it's becoming more neo-liberalist but there will always be regulation of some sort.

Environmental issues? Well it's one thing having govt laws concerning them, it's another issue on the enforcement process.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Iron said:
Without much expert knowledge here, I'd also assume that the White Australia hype wasnt rational. It was just another motivation for federation. Basically, the pressing domestic issues weren't exciting enough, but they were the main objective.
I mean, the kanakas were employed for a reason... just like Nike employes south-east asia.
Yes perhaps domestic issues were the motivating factor for cool-headed policy makers (though I doubt it), the important thing is the racism and fear drove the mass movement to federalise. So how about you climb of your lofty (-o +e) ivory tower, stop being elitist and recognise that the people themselves played a role - a racist role.

And just like the ALP derides the employment of 'workers from low wage countries' (their euphemism for China, India and SE Asia) they derode (sp?) the employment of kanakas. An article in the Australian today made reference to the racist as opposed to socialist foundations of the party. This seems expecially pertinent as they are the oldest party and can be said to have represented a large body of the population at federation....

Sarah said:
Well even in the developed world, neoliberalism hasn't made all markets competitive and I'm extending this idea to markets other than resource markets. You can even see that in Australia (both now and in Aust's economic history).
Firstly; good to see an economics student wading into the fray.

Secondly; to clarify I am not suggesting that we are neo-liberal but rather that we are becoming increasingly so. Australias economic history reveals this.

With the issue of resources, doesn't economics consider labour as part of resources? If so, you can easily argue that barriers to immigration still exist.
Yes economists do (hence my reference to increased competition in resource market raising wages) and of course immigration barriers still exist. They are however diminished (especially within say the EU) and I argue for increasing reduction in immigration barriers.

I agree with Spell Check, most countries still have policies which resemble a Mercantalist approach. Sure you may say it's becoming more neo-liberalist but there will always be regulation of some sort.
Well you don't really agree because he is convinced that mercantilism and neo-liberalism are one and the same. I agree with you, most countries still have mercantilist policies in place, incontrovertably these have been diminished (take for example the EU internally or Australia in relation to the auto and steel industries).

And yes there will always be some regulation and always some form of state however state size will decrease and regulations similarly.

Environmental issues? Well it's one thing having govt laws concerning them, it's another issue on the enforcement process.
This is dodging my argument which is: when there are more multinationals competing to operate in a country the country will have greater power over them and hence greater power to enforce laws, including environmental ones.

Spell Check said:
the so-called 'debate' in this thread is not worth my time to participate in. you don't need to be kofi annan to see the gaping holes in your arguments here.
This paragraph is in the first part a cop out and in the second completely unsubstantiated. To paraphrase (and reverse) the governator lets see you actually drive your hummer through the gaping holes in my argument.

if we could get back to the point here, that 'unilateral action is a right of a superpower' - which is a nonsense in itself, given the word 'right' denotes something conferred through a superior legal authority, what exactly is the debate?
You seem hell bent on proving your abject lack of comphrension skills. Firstly as I stated some while ago I used the word 'right' to provoke discussion as it is far more clear cut than 'option', etc. Secondly what do you think the debate is? Can you read? The debate is: Do superpowers have a right/option/etc to exercise unilateral action? Is this ever the right thing to do? Discuss in relation to your concept of International Relations.

is your argument that 'unilateral action' (the breach of international law) is something that superpowers should be encouraged to pursue, and that only superpowers should be afforded this right? is your argument that this is a good thing for the world?
My argument is that: unilateral action is a legitimate option for any state. However that it is generally only feasible for superpowers to do so. International law does not impede it because no one can enforce it and a system of voluntary rules do not work as the incentive to disobey them is enormous. As far as whether this is a good thing or not this is highly subjective if you are unilaterally invaded then you will probably say no (ditto you would think that multi-lateral breaches of your soveriegnty were also wrong). If however you are yourself acting unilaterally then clearly you think it is a good thing. Being as objective as I can be I would suggest it (like many other means) is in itself value neutral value is only ascribed according to the motives for which it is used. And more cynically it is simply the way of the world (/jungle) and can not be changed thus must be accepted.

now you are arguing that 'neoliberal globalisation' is going to lead the world to utopia?
but neo-liberal policies failed on a biblical scale in africa and latin america to do anything other than aggravate social, economic and political devastation. neoliberalism is incompatible with the policies of the rich states. It is an ideology imposed on the people of the third world by the elites in the first and third worlds.
You're going to need to back up what you say rather than make unsubstantiated claims and expect me (and everyone else) to swallow them as fact under the belief that you are an all-knowing demi-god (/left wing university student).

In doing so I would again remind you not to confuse neo-liberalism with mercantilism. As these are different and contradictory policies and I agree completely that mercantilism is pretty much an unmittigated bad thing.

Also it would be worthwhile considering two other factors in your (hopefully) forthcoming substantiation, that is: the global geo-political struggles of the US, USSR and China and the kleptocracy left behind by a too hasty withdrawal from Africa by the colonial powers.

just as in the ANZAC thread, where you argued that it was in the interests of Australia to send men to die needlessly in world war one, your propositions in this thread make no sense and you are defending ideologies which have been shown to be harmful to most of the worlds population - realism and neoliberalism.
Excellent use of framing, I never argued for the needless deaths of Australian soldiers, infact I argued almost the reverse; for the necessity of our involvement and by extension the casualties we suffered.

To paraphrase you: Just as in the ANZAC thread you are making bold unsubstantiated claims and shying away from any real debate.

Last edited:

the urbanite

HSC
spell check said:
I concur, 'Third-World' economic neo-liberalism is imposed by rich states and their organs such as the IMF.

However, the endemic poverty at the root of the "social, economic and political devastation" is the result of an inability of 'Third World nations' to access foreign markets to sell their products. This is due mainly to mercantilist influenced trade barriers imposed by 'First World nations' to protect priviledged sectors of their own economies for domestic poltical gain. Essentially, the problems of the 'Third World' are caused by a lack of neo-liberal economics in the domestic sphere of 'First World' nations.

spell check

HSC
loquasagacious said:
You seem hell bent on proving your abject lack of comphrension skills. Firstly as I stated some while ago I used the word 'right' to provoke discussion as it is far more clear cut than 'option', etc. Secondly what do you think the debate is? Can you read? The debate is: Do superpowers have a right/option/etc to exercise unilateral action? Is this ever the right thing to do? Discuss in relation to your concept of International Relations.
there is a massive difference between a right and an option, surely you can see that.

My argument is that: unilateral action is a legitimate option for any state. However that it is generally only feasible for superpowers to do so. International law does not impede it because no one can enforce it and a system of voluntary rules do not work as the incentive to disobey them is enormous. As far as whether this is a good thing or not this is highly subjective if you are unilaterally invaded then you will probably say no (ditto you would think that multi-lateral breaches of your soveriegnty were also wrong). If however you are yourself acting unilaterally then clearly you think it is a good thing. Being as objective as I can be I would suggest it (like many other means) is in itself value neutral value is only ascribed according to the motives for which it is used. And more cynically it is simply the way of the world (/jungle) and can not be changed thus must be accepted.
this is a nothing argument. anyone can see that superpowers have the capacity to act unilaterally, that's what makes them superpowers. just like a criminal gang has the capacity to break the law and commit crimes. what do you consider to be a more preferable scenario - a state where a criminal gang can rampage unpunished by law because they are too strong to be dealt with and choose to ignore the law, or a state where the law is upheld by all and gangs are punsihed for breaches of it. this seems like a very easy question to answer.

how can unilateral action be legitimate if it is illegal?

quite obviously it is not a good thing for one state to act unilaterally in defiance of international law because the law is there to foster cooperation and peace, just as it is in domestic societies. if you have criminals breaching the law this is hardly conducive to peace. just look at the US - it has shown contempt for international law and breached it by attacking Iraq and now look, it is involved in a perpetual war which it cannot win.

your claim that 'the world cannot be changed' is pretty ignorant. even fukuyama reneged on his 'end of history' claim.

international law could quite easily be enforced, you can arrest, charge and try politicians for breaches of the law just as you would regular citizens. it is merely a question of changing peoples' perceptions of international law.

You're going to need to back up what you say rather than make unsubstantiated claims and expect me (and everyone else) to swallow them as fact under the belief that you are an all-knowing demi-god (/left wing university student).
i'm afraid you will have to take my word for it that structural adjustment policies failed miserably in Africa and Latin America, you could do some research if you want. perhaps the fact that even the World Bank has acknowledged this will help. poverty has risen, income inequality has widened, wages have dropped, and so on, sorry i can't write a 10,000 word dissertation with extensive footnotes.
even Chile- which is argued often, wrongfully, to be a neoliberal success story- required extensive state involvement in the economy to develop some of its more reliable export sectors. the state had to direct capital flows, direct and control investment in particular sectors and so on.

In doing so I would again remind you not to confuse neo-liberalism with mercantilism. As these are different and contradictory policies and I agree completely that mercantilism is pretty much an unmittigated bad thing.
how can you claim that neoliberalism is saving the world and then continually remind us that the policies that actually exist in the world resemble NOT neoliberalism but mercantilism.

Excellent use of framing, I never argued for the needless deaths of Australian soldiers, infact I argued almost the reverse; for the necessity of our involvement and by extension the casualties we suffered.
your argument was just that we had to send people to die to maintain our alliance with britain? when did this 'insurance policy' ever benefit australia?

now we are doing the same with iraq - albeit a vastly smaller scale - in order to maintain the alliance with the US, and the result? we are more at risk of terrorist attack, less able to deal with the threat through cooperation with our neighbours who see us as anti-Muslim.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)