Is war fundamentally wrong? (1 Viewer)

Generator

HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
It sounded like he thought my "you people" comment was refering to some ideological binary opposition.
A position that you believe is beneath your own for some reason, yes. That was my interpretation, anyway.

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
The object of war is peace. So we all must be stupid to look for something that isn't there or we already have.

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Saying something like "this is the way it's going to be untill people stop being dickheads to one another", simplifies it to a point where he is claiming that wars are fought out of stupidity and that if we could just get "smarter" we'd stop having wars.
I understand that they're [wars] the result of deeply-rooted issues that aren't easily resolved, but I can't help but feel that if people weren't so inclined to go with killing each other, there would be potential for less costly solutions to come up.

That said, we're not going to see them any time soon, because people often seem to go with violence as the best (Or only) solution, and on top of that those involved in ongoing conflicts like you mention, aren't likely to forget about the killing which has already been happening for so long already.

War might be a solution, but I certainly don't think it's the best, and at the end of the day personally I find it fairly hard to call it anything but wrong, given the huge loss of life which are suffered as a result. It might even be inevitable, humans being what we are, but as I said, I think it's wrong in that I'd always hope for a solution that was less costly. This isn't often the way it pans out, and while I don't think it's right, I can see that war often "gets the job done". In previous discussions I've made what I think of the value of human life fairly clear, so my stance on this is, I would assume, another manifestation of that.

If I oversimplified my previous statement, it was due to word economy, not a simplistic hug and make up solution like you seem to have interpreted what I said as meaning :)

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
amoz_lilo said:
The object of war is peace. So we all must be stupid to look for something that isn't there or we already have.
Who ever said the purpose of war is peace

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
amoz_lilo said:
My history notes. They must be right, right?

=P
Not necessarily, depends on many factors, such as source of information (as it may be bias[ most likely is, as most info has some bias in it])

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
OMG ABSOLUTION SAID I SUCK!
*popularity death*
Yeah, not only are you unpopular... you also go to UWS.

No wonder youre so stupid.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
absolution* said:

Excuse me, wtf are u bagging UWS for? Fine bag NTB if u want, but why bag the uni?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
absolution* said:

UWS isn't the best university, I'm aware of this... However I didn't make the cut off for uts/usyd/unsw law, so I chose to do law at a location close to me untill I can maybe get a slightly better mark through uni (so far i'm doing pretty good).

I don't think you have the right to cast judgement on my intelligence.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
UWS isn't the best university, I'm aware of this... However I didn't make the cut off for uts/usyd/unsw law, so I chose to do law at a location close to me untill I can maybe get a slightly better mark through uni (so far i'm doing pretty good).

I don't think you have the right to cast judgement on my intelligence.
He has a right to cast judgement on ur intellect based on his disagreement with what u say, just like you have the right to do the same to him. But he has no right to base that on UWS or insult UWS because of its relation with you

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Korn said:
He has a right to cast judgement on ur intellect based on his disagreement with what u say, just like you have the right to do the same to him. But he has no right to base that on UWS or insult UWS because of its relation with you
No he doesn't.
I think Noam Chomsky is wrong, but I also think he's a genius..
I think Karl Marx was wrong, but I also think he was a genius..

There should be no corrolation between someone's point of view and their intelligence, however what determines their intelligence should be how they back up their point of view.

By the way, if I'm stupid... the general population at UWS has to be stupid, since my marks have generally been fairly high.
I've got 85% back in one subject and i'm on a HD.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
No he doesn't.
I think Noam Chomsky is wrong, but I also think he's a genius..
I think Karl Marx was wrong, but I also think he was a genius..

There should be no corrolation between someone's point of view and their intelligence, however what determines their intelligence should be how they back up their point of view.

By the way, if I'm stupid... the general population at UWS has to be stupid, since my marks have generally been fairly high.
I've got 85% back in one subject and i'm on a HD.
Im not saying he is right to say ur stupid or agreeing with him, but he is allowed to do say it, just like u can because of differing views

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)