Is writing 1037 words in 50 minutes for an Economics essay acceptable? (1 Viewer)

WannaBang?

HSC
bawd said:
One of our economics teacher told our class he's marked 20 page (standard-size papers) essays for the HSC which have received a 18/20, but then again he's also marked ones that were only 6-pages long that got full marks. So, if your essay is straight to the point like you said, then it should not be a problem.
Cool. I did my essay today and absolutely aced it. Thanks for the advice everyone!

P.S. I am the OP.

Conspirocy

HSC
mrpet3rr said:
Remember Quality over Quantity!
I did my HSC back in 04 and got a band 6. This is what I think.

HSC Eco Exam

3 hours or 180 mins

Multi Choice - 35 mins
Short Answers 45 mins
Essay 1 - 50 mins
Essay 2 - 50 mins

Maybe I would shave 5 off the Multi Choice and Short answers and add them to the essay. But I was prepared to write an essay in the time I have stated above.

That's how I broke up my exam. You are going to waste around 5 mins planning each essay as well so really you have 45 mins to write your essay start to finish.

I would recomend that you MUST get into a second booklet and get AT LEAST halfway through it. A booklet is 8 pages, so thats 12 pages all up. I actually had big handwriting so I was more likely to write about 130 words a page. So to get there that's 1560 words. I want to emphasise that I was a slow writer at my school. Also note that booklet pages are smaller. So my 1600 words 45-50 minutes is a good guide I think.

So yeah I think 1600 words an essay is what you are looking at give or take a few. And I recomend writing in a way that you get into a second booklet.

Lorie

HSC
Thats fine as long as you've covered all the main points. Use graphs if you can aswell, it may not increase the word count but it will help illustrate what your trying to say.

My big tip is during reading time write your essay plan up first. You should not rely simply on your prepared essays and remembering them word for word in the exam. There are many different essays they could pull out. I would write my essay plan in reading time and when the exam begins go through as normal and leave plenty of time at the end for writing yours essays.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
I writeabout 2 typed, which is about 4 hand written in 50 mins.

karnage

HSC
1037 is reasonable and it doesnt matter how much u write, as long as u address the question.
Im not a speed writer and i dont rack up the page count when i write, yet i believe i do reasonably fine.

tau281290

HSC
Zrap said:
Yeah i guess, i wrote 3 pages on globalisation for my trials and 4 pages on fiscal policy
What school is this? Trials in JUNE?? Unheard of.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
回复: Is writing 1037 words in 50 minutes for an Economics essay acceptable?

It's fine. I used to memorize and write up to 1600 word essays/report, word by word during my HSC in less then 50min.

Just make sure you know your stuff.

SimonLee13

HSC
Re: 回复: Is writing 1037 words in 50 minutes for an Economics essay acceptable?

With quantity, you should cover more ground and thus is safer. Unless you're very verbose, you can't go wrong with writing extra.

tau281290

HSC
Conspirocy said:
I did my HSC back in 04 and got a band 6. This is what I think.

HSC Eco Exam

3 hours or 180 mins

Multi Choice - 35 mins
Short Answers 45 mins
Essay 1 - 50 mins
Essay 2 - 50 mins

Maybe I would shave 5 off the Multi Choice and Short answers and add them to the essay. But I was prepared to write an essay in the time I have stated above.

That's how I broke up my exam. You are going to waste around 5 mins planning each essay as well so really you have 45 mins to write your essay start to finish.

I would recomend that you MUST get into a second booklet and get AT LEAST halfway through it. A booklet is 8 pages, so thats 12 pages all up. I actually had big handwriting so I was more likely to write about 130 words a page. So to get there that's 1560 words. I want to emphasise that I was a slow writer at my school. Also note that booklet pages are smaller. So my 1600 words 45-50 minutes is a good guide I think.

So yeah I think 1600 words an essay is what you are looking at give or take a few. And I recomend writing in a way that you get into a second booklet.
I don't get what's this 35 min multiple choice thing. there are only 20 MC, and 1 min each is already moroe than enough. Most ppl finish in 15 mins max. Why did they set it to 35 min??

And you said 45 min for short answers....?? how can u ever finish 4 quesions in 45 mins?? the allocated time is 75 min!!! they are worth 40 marks which equal to two essays.

I just did an econ trial, i spent 15 min for MC, 60 min for short answers, and 50 min for each essay. I think thats pretty good timing.

runnable

HSC
Yea 35mins for MCQ is just too long. I think I spent like 10-15 mins for mine.

dcalla

Parkway Drive
HSC
N/A
Got 94 in Economics for the 2007 HSC. I can only write about 800 words in 45 minutes. [yes left handed].

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)