Is year 10 Chemistry and Physics content heavy? (1 Viewer)

kyp

HSC
Will it be hard if you get into Y11 term1 Chemistry and physics tutoring classes without having learnt Yr10 contents. Is it still doable? If you work hard, with extra tutor to help?

nathanzhou1234

HSC
Will it be hard if you get into Y11 term1 Chemistry and physics tutoring classes without having learnt Yr10 contents. Is it still doable? If you work hard, with extra tutor to help?
Generally Y10 phys and chem is a preview of Y11 - I think its find to start without it but it might be slightly harder

kyp

HSC
Generally Y10 phys and chem is a preview of Y11 - I think its find to start without it but it might be slightly harder
Thankyou Nathan.
Have you seen your cohort tutoring 1 yr ahead of the school yr? Eg; attending yr11 tutoring school, while still in Yr10 class at school.
I had a look at yr10 science book, it seems the contents of physics and chemistry are not that heavy. could that be easy to catch up if skipping it?
Might be silly to ask. Just a thought.
So when in yr 11, you can start learning yr 12 stuff, and in yr12, you can repeat, or maybe attend a different tutoring school, so getting a better change to get high ATAR?

Last edited:

idkkdi

HSC
ye it's doable.
Thankyou Nathan.
Have you seen your cohort tutoring 1hrs ahead of the school yr? Eg; attending yr11 tutoring school, while still in Yr10 class at school.
I had a look at yr10 science book, it seems the contents of physics and chemistry are not that heavy. could that be easy to catch up if skipping it?
So when in yr 11, you can start learning yr 12 stuff, and in yr12, you can repeat, or maybe attend a different tutoring school, so getting a better change to get high ATAR?
only people from ruse do this strat afaik. pretty overkill if u do it solely for atar.

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
for chemistry, i went in not knowing almost nothing about year 10 content (because the year 10 content was taught in lockdown and i ended up not listening or doing the work at all), and honestly i was fine without it. i knew the basics (like how to name elements and write the formulas for ionic compounds) but that was the bare minimum, but in all honesty it was easy to adjust. no need for a tutor, just look through your textbook and ask your teacher if you need help

Average Boreduser

๐™ฑ๐šŠ๐š—๐š—๐šŽ๐š
HSC
At least do a few on demand courses so you don't fall behind (as you are generally avoiding very key components in yr 10) trust me I've tried this... Does not work without foundations from previous yr.

Reactions: kyp

nathanzhou1234

HSC
Thankyou Nathan.
Have you seen your cohort tutoring 1 yr ahead of the school yr? Eg; attending yr11 tutoring school, while still in Yr10 class at school.
I was in a non-selective school so most of the people in my year were fairly chill and only a few people did it one year earlier. For me i just started y11 stuff in the summer holidays and that worked out fine. Idk about other schools tho i think a lot of ruse kids and stuff definitely were doing a year earlier

kyp

HSC
At least do a few on demand courses so you don't fall behind (as you are generally avoiding very key components in yr 10) trust me I've tried this... Does not work without foundations from previous yr.
Thankyou. seems like should not skip yr10 tutor for yr11

carrotsss

HSC
You could probably pick up the year 10 content pretty quickly, I didnโ€™t do much work in year 10 and Iโ€™ve done perfectly fine so far in year 11/12

Average Boreduser

๐™ฑ๐šŠ๐š—๐š—๐šŽ๐š
HSC
Thankyou. seems like should not skip yr10 tutor for yr11
You could do both simultaneously; ie you can do yr 10 maybe on demand via matrix and do others via a different campus

Reactions: kyp

kyp

HSC
You could do both simultaneously; ie you can do yr 10 maybe on demand via matrix and do others via a different campus
you mean enrolling coaching school for yr10 content and the y11 content at the same time?

fx82au

HSC
You should be fine. The only thing you learn in year 10 for physics is just velocity (which is taught in year 8 math), and types of energy e.g. GPE and KE. For year 10 chem, you just learn about the first 20 elements, valency, and types of intramolecular bonds e.g. ionic, covalent, metallic. You could probably cover this all in a day.

Ive found that year 10 is kinda a waste of a year, i feel like nesa dumbed it down so accelerated kids dont miss out on a content heavy year.

kyp

HSC
You should be fine. The only thing you learn in year 10 for physics is just velocity (which is taught in year 8 math), and types of energy e.g. GPE and KE. For year 10 chem, you just learn about the first 20 elements, valency, and types of intramolecular bonds e.g. ionic, covalent, metallic. You could probably cover this all in a day.

Ive found that year 10 is kinda a waste of a year, i feel like nesa dumbed it down so accelerated kids dont miss out on a content heavy year.
do you think it's beneficial overall to HSC marks to attend yr 11 science tutoring while you are in yr10?
if attending yr11 science this yr, then will have one extra yr to repeat yr12, probably can attend a different tutoring school in yr 12 to focus on hard questions. Or do you think missing a good one year content in yr10 set you back in the foundation not able to do well in future due to the gaps?

Last edited:

kyp

HSC
Coming from a low 100 ranking school, and didn't pay much attention in yr9 science at school. Never tutored yr9 or yr 10 science either
Just tried Zhang yr11 Term1 physics content, got about 60% in the quiz, is it too bad to continue yr11 Term 2 physics? Or should i go back to yr 10 physics?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)