Is your course easier or harder than Yr 12? (1 Viewer)

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
So many people here seem to want to know what to expect in terms of workload going from Year 12 to UNI, but since it varies from course to course there is no straight answer, I think it would be helpful/interesting if people said what their course was and whether it is more or less work, and harder or less hard.
Eh? :cool:

As for me:
I do Speech Pathology. It is certainly more work than year 12, and I find the work much more difficult...as do most, I think.

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
During my first year while I was studying a B Science @ UNSW I had a workload of 27hrs (over 5 days) a week, which is sort of heavy in my opinion .. and yes, it was a lot harder than high school.

I transferred to a B Policing degree at the beginning of this year and although my contact hours more than halved (12 hours a week, over 2 or 3 days), they expect us to do a lot more considering we have a lot more time out of uni. And it's still harder than high school, lol.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Hmm...first year commerce is such a bludge...13 hours of contact basically...and if u do ur tutorial work and keep up to date, its so easy to do well - however it also makes u extremely lazy. I found it much easier than Year 12, except during the exam periods, where it was more stressful (not as much study time as HSC)

googy_1985

HSC
N/A
Stress - Was less than HSC - maybe because no one cares about u marks etc.

Work wise - I guess everyone is different. Not doing economics in the HSC (school didn't offer it); I found uni requiring more work - but because I dont have 2 do subjects like english - i "enjoy" it more...

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
hmm at uni your generally studying something that you have a keen interest in whereas in high school you had to study alot of subjects just because you had to. so i find it a 'little' easier to focus on and cope with the load. the workload seems alot but it really isnt, and 13 weeks a semester flies!

ErgoSum

HSC
Easier

University is much easier, simply because the courses are only 3 months long each and are far more structured. The actual quantity of work you do is slightly less than any given 3 months in the hsc, but the work is usually at a higher level. However i just find the layout of all the courses, clearly breaking stuff down into lectures,tutes and labs, allows you to study more effectively.

ErgoSum

HSC
Well all my uni courses seem to be broken into the following
Lectures= You sit in a lecture hall and a professor explains the section of the course you are learning that week, its similar to a lesson at school except you dont do any work whatsoever its just a lecture, sometimes there are demonstrations though which jazz things up.
Tutorial: Most subject have tutorials, once you have had your lecture on a particular subject, you usually have a tutorial sometime in the following week, for most tutorials you walk in, they hand you a sheet of practice questions and you and your buddies in the tutorial work through em. Most of the people who take tutorials are in 3rd or 4th year so they are really friendly and you can talk to them about stuff.
Lab: The lectures introduce you to the theory, and the tutes make sure you are capable of doing the thing on paper, but labs are usually where you actually apply your knowledge. Im doing engineering so i have plenty of labs, i think some subjects dont have them though. I.E in physics labs we do experiments, in elec labs we build circuits.
Seminar: I only have seminars for computers, its a little bit like a cross between a lecture and a tutorial, you learn a little but you also do some work. Probably more similar to traditional school learning, but you know with the respect that comes with being at uni.
Anyway, i find having a clear division between learning theory, applying theory and doing it in practice is really helpful.

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
This year was definately harder than the HSC. I also had a 27 hr week, which was pretty full on, and there was a lot of work to be done at home aswell. My subjects werent interesting or anythin, in fact most of them were less interesting than my HSC subjects, because first year is so general, like I'm learning about crops and stuff when i want to work with wildlife, so its not really what i want to be doing.
It takes more time to find info for assignments etc, because u cant just look stuff up on the internet like with the HSC.
exams are heaps more stressful because you have lots less time than the hsc, and the content is high, like you have to cram so much stuff in in so little time.
but the good thing is that you are so busy that the weeks fly by and before you know it, you are 3 weeks into a 3 month holiday! yay!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)