• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Is your lecturer demoralising? (1 Viewer)

Vangineer

Treehugger
HSC
Hi,

I had a Circuit Analysis lecture today and as soon as it begun, the guy was like
no worries students, the fail rate is only 80+ %
and last semesters outcomes were

1HD
1D
7 Cred
50 Pass

150 students total

Damn huh?
then i looked around and only saw about 20 ppl i know from my year, and the rest of them included 4th years who have failed the subject 3 to 4 times.

Overall, i think i heard the lecturer say the word fail about 122 times. Damn it!!! What a great start to a new year + the revision content today was gibrish already. SHIT, im in for a doom

iamsickofyear12

HSC
The reason that almost everyone fails is that they don't care. If you actually try it shouldn't be hard to pass even the most difficult subject.

santaslayer

HSC
It's used as a means of scaring students into studying their arse off. The statistic may be real though. :p

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
Vangineer said:
Hi,

1HD
1D
7 Cred
50 Pass

150 students total
wow crazy.
in my lecture the lecturer wassaying like to pass yuo have to get 16/40 in an exam , i thought it was a joke cuase it sounds so easy. it was in Programming fundementals (i am not that good at it)

iamsickofyear12

HSC
In marketing to pass I need 45% overall, 45% in my final exam, and need to turn up to 75% of tutorials. Still 20% of people will fail, because they don't care.

beccaxx

surprised things change
HSC
one of our exams is worth 10% and we get 100% in it if we sit it.
thats their only thing. so u dont even hav 2 study, its an easy 10%.
but it goes 2 the teachers 2 see if theyre teaching effectively n we still get a rank

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Call me a slob, but after the HSC and stressing over the slightest marks (as they would determine the course you did), I feel that i'd be happy with pass/credit-type stuff...Not that that will be easy in itself, but yeah...the only motivating force to do well that I can see is that if you fail enough, you get kicked out. Stuff honours. Acedemia stinks.

aquaa123qwe

HSC
i think different people is capable of doing different things

me doing uni physic gosh no

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
That speech used to happen in first lecture of Statistics and Economics.

All the newbies would gasp in horror at the thought.

All those repeating would be laughing and saying things like "And it's not any easier the fourth time around" :) Then a few minutes of banter between the lecturer and the repeaters on how they think it will all go this time around. I'm sure to those taking the subjects the first time it would have seemed quite weird.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
The reason that almost everyone fails is that they don't care. If you actually try it shouldn't be hard to pass even the most difficult subject.
Maybe in your business/law/arts courses. But in the science and engineering subjects there's more involved than simple effort. The material presented is actually DIFFICULT.

wogboy

Terminator
HSC
Vangineer said:
Hi,

I had a Circuit Analysis lecture today and as soon as it begun, the guy was like
no worries students, the fail rate is only 80+ %
and last semesters outcomes were

1HD
1D
7 Cred
50 Pass

150 students total

Damn huh?
then i looked around and only saw about 20 ppl i know from my year, and the rest of them included 4th years who have failed the subject 3 to 4 times.

Overall, i think i heard the lecturer say the word fail about 122 times. Damn it!!! What a great start to a new year + the revision content today was gibrish already. SHIT, im in for a doom
Is your lecturer Venkat Ramaswamy? I've heard some horror stories about his marking (btw I don't go to UTS).

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
In my first Professional Practice and Culture lecture the other day the guy said "If you want to work a lot and study this subject either drop the subject, or quit your job....if this subject is compulsory for you then I guess you are screwed.... people FAIL my classes"

And this is in arts lol.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Haha that's pretty funny. Nice scare tactic though, I bet he's sick of people coming to him saying "I didn't have any time to do the assignment because I've been working blah blah..."

noneother

the Cho is great
HSC
Yeah I reckon what someone said about putting in effort to get results is true. For a lot of people they've really put off studying at uni. I mean upon entering university for some reason I just don't give a shit anymore, whereas in high school I would've worked my ass off. There's a serious issue of self-discipline which is missing but I think its more of the transition into university which has affected my study habits.

santaslayer

HSC
noneother said:
Yeah I reckon what someone said about putting in effort to get results is true. For a lot of people they've really put off studying at uni. I mean upon entering university for some reason I just don't give a shit anymore, whereas in high school I would've worked my ass off. There's a serious issue of self-discipline which is missing but I think its more of the transition into university which has affected my study habits.
Massive freedom...no accountability..(except towards urself...and that doesnt work..:p)

aquaa123qwe

HSC
uni kinna sucks comparing to high school
it is a big transition though

S

Shuter

aquaa123qwe said:
i think different people is capable of doing different things

me doing uni physic gosh no
nah, just some people are incapable of doing certain things.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)