Is your SDD teacher as crap as mine? (1 Viewer)

treelovinhippie

<this space for rent>
HSC
Half-Yearlies and I'm thinking that Software will be my weakest subject >> luckily I'm doing 12 units :)

The reason it will be and most likely already is my weakest subject is not necessarily because of a fault of my own.

Here's the story (in point form for your convenience):

1) Start of the year (year 12) we begin our SDD major project that we get to do whatever we want
2) Going along fine and happy working on our projects with about 1 theory period a week and the rest all prac working on our projects >> so having fun mainly doing prac
3) Our teacher (who formally taught art - I'm not even sure if he has a degree in computers or similar) pretty much runs the whole computer department, he only knows VB, so that's all we are taught in terms of languages and that's what we had to do our projects in
4) The odd bit of theory simply involved turning to what seemed a random page in the text book, going through it a bit, writing a tiny bit of notes (not even paragraphs) and writing down the text book page number
5) We had this teacher last year as well and didn't learn much, especially in the way of algorithms which made up about 50% of the yr11 yearly.... the thing is that there are only about 4/15 people that even care about how they go
6) As at the 1/2 yearlies this year, this is exactly what is in my book (note book)... methods of implementation, prototyping, RAD, end-user, networked software, binary conversions, logic gatesfloating point standard (taught to us less than a week before the exams along with feasibility, shifting/adding, and searching/sorting) >> that's it!
7) OK, since we hadn't done much theory at all, I was beginning to worry a few weeks before the exams started, so I thought I better find out exactly what we had to study or what chapters we needed to know so I could go through and learn it all myself (as we hadn't been taught much at all)
8) So I ask him what's in it.... reply: "What we've already learnt", I ask again, and again and again over several days. All other subjects had given us at least a warning as to what we had to study for, and software I had no clue as to what we 'had already learnt' cos it is nothing
9) So I asked each day and found out a little more. I only managed to find out what chapters in general we sort of had to know the day before the exams started (he didn't say exactly what we had to know) >>> which was bullshit!
10) Oh, this was what really pissed me off..... he said that we should treat this exam as a "practice for the trials" and that he'll try not to put anything in it that we haven't learnt yet..... so great, we treat it as a practice, but it counts towards our hsc and if there's anything we haven't learnt in it we just have to deal with it :mad:

So I studied like crazy, going through the whole text book, studying what I thought we had to know an leaving stuff I'd never seen before.

Anyways, the exam was alright..... there was a 10 mark algorithm question that I had no clue how to do and there were questions to do with the CPU that I have never seen before (nor had anyone else)..... such as what is a 'stack pointer'. We'd learnt briefly what the ALU, CU, registers, flags etc are, but not a stack pointer and other things.

So what do people think? Do you think it's fair? What can I do? Just learn the whole course myself?

Oh, PS, our school is 4 hours south of sydney in a town of about 7000. Though each year our school does get a fair few people get uai's of over 90 and around 3 get 99's. And it's a regular public school, so shit-all resources to the over-funded private schools I know most of the people on these forums take for granted. Oh and no swimming pool, gym, tennis courts, new textbooks (ours are on average about 10 years old), or the best technology (we have P4s, but less than 2.5GHz, no LCDs and about 256MB integrated RAM!), damn discriminate government, funding private schools more than public schools :mad:

that's my rant for the day :)

treelovinhippie

Lwaxana

Betazed Ambassador
HSC
N/A
I stopped teaching the subject because I found it difficult - and felt that anyone truly capable of teaching it to the level that was required to get Band 6 results in the HSC was probably working in Industry earning $100000 +

but thats just my opinion

re the computers at yr school the current rollout computers are based on a ratio of 1 computer per 8/9 students. The ones built for this years rollout do hv LCDs
approx 450 RAM (yes weird number cause its shared)
having said that what real difference do the types of computers make ?
and textbooks should be supplied by the school - where does the money go ? do u guys pay some form of fees ??

And my best suggestion is - download all the past papers and do them -
I can send the "right" answers if u like - sometimes the best education is the one we provide ourselves.

Trias

HSC
N/A
Mmmm that is a tough one.

Maybe you should light his balls on fire.

I also have a teacher like this and I am also wondering if it is possible to learn the whole SDD course by myself. The textbooks tell you nothing. I have been resorting to just using notes on this site.

Any other students done this?

Find it hard?

Was there much lighting of balls?

(Soccer Balls.. My teacher is a PE teacher..... yeah.....)

HSC
our teacher doesnt follow hte syllabus, isn't organised, randomly picks out topics, and plagerises her work, she prints all prac work from cambridge, sometimes it doesnt even work, sometimes it crashes vbasic ...

she doesnt make any work sheets at all, she uses sam davis 'teachers resource' and we did stuff for homework only, she didnt go over it

she cant explain shit at all very well

unsure

this sounds like our techer also we only have a class of 5 but he's hardly around its gotten to the point were im justin learnin out of the textbook. im gona do what my science teachers tell learn and understand the dotpoints and hope it's enough

treelovinhippie

<this space for rent>
HSC
Yeah I see your point that there's more money elsewhere for teachers, but the one's that are unfortunate to be in the teaching industry (my parents included) should at least care about offering their students the best opportunity to do the best they can achieve in the hsc. And atm, this is definately not happening with our teacher, he doesn't seemed to give a shit how we go.

Computers... hmmm.... the one's in our school atm are all acer brand. We have 3 computer rooms and then a few in the library. Though one of the computer rooms is crap, with literally 10 minute power on times and 5 minute loading times for websites (despite having a broadband connection). Some of the recent computers that I have seen are once again acers, with shitty 15" LCDs.

Well the difference in computers between public and private schools is substantial. Private schools, probably 90% of the time will have greater and newer advances in not just computers, but other technologies as well.

Text books are supplied by the school, they just don't have enough money to replace them with newer text books. Oh speaking of text books, that's another thing I forgot... we only received a software textbook each, half way through this term (Term 1 2005), having to share a textbook between 2 in class for the rest of the time.

Where does the money go? Into maintenance (our school is old and looks like a jail), upgrading the odd computer, general necessities, and other expenses I'm not exactly certain of (I don't handle the school's money :)), but it would be interesting to see the cash flow difference and expenses and expenditure between public and private schools. I can 100% guarantee that private schools will on the whole be receiving more money per student than in public schools.

It's obvious, everyone knows that the government gives more funds to private schools who already receive large fees and already have all the resources and extra non-necessities such as swimming pools, while it gives less to struggling public schools who need the extra money as fees are not compulsory in most public schools. Yes we (I) pay fees of about $150 a year, yes this is very little, and another problem is that it is not compulsory so most pay nothing. It would take anyone about 30 minutes to see the differences physically and financially between a public school and a private school and distinguish who requires more funding than who. I think the politicians just pay the extra funding to the schools that their children go to - i.e. private schools.

And no, I don't go to this particular school (my school) because I cannot afford the fees of a private school. If I lived in Sydney I would be going to a private school and my parents would fork out the cost of fees, simply because the private schools have the extra resources and so have an advantage (though it's been proved that more private school students fail their first year of uni, compared to public school student's first year at uni - because public school students are more independent or something >> you'll have to look it up)

ps lwaxana, did you teach at a public or private school? teachers in the private schools also generally earn twice as much as a regular teacher in a public school..... hmm I wonder why? Extra funding and cash flow perhaps?

thanks for the offer with the offer lwaxana

lol, is something burning trias? yep the text books are very complicated and appear to present a lot of uneccessary info.

cheers

treelovinhippie

<this space for rent>
HSC
happysnapper, yep I think that's what I'll have to resort to as well, though the syllabus is also rooted as they are not actually dot points such as subjects like chemistry or physics. The SDD syllabus just lists everything in the text book, one thing after the other :(

slide rule, that sounds worse than what we were told... are SDD teachers on an ego trip?

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
treelovinhippie said:
(though it's been proved that more private school students fail their first year of uni, compared to public school student's first year at uni - because public school students are more independent or something >> you'll have to look it up)
Oh, kind of like how more private school students succeed in life than public school students? It's been proven - you'll have to look it up.

EDIT: I'm not trying to start a private vs public flameware, but you shouldn't go making wild assertions without even offering a trace of evidence, nor assume your opinions are fact.

Further, sure your school might be bad, but complaining about it won't get you anywhere. People are quick to place blame, but when it comes to actually doing something to fix the problem... hah! That's not to say I am immune to this type of thinking - I'm not, but we all need to try and avoid it.

Last edited:

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
treelovinhippie said:
happysnapper, yep I think that's what I'll have to resort to as well, though the syllabus is also rooted as they are not actually dot points such as subjects like chemistry or physics. The SDD syllabus just lists everything in the text book, one thing after the other :(

slide rule, that sounds worse than what we were told... are SDD teachers on an ego trip?
I think it's more the fact that most teachers start teaching SDD without any clue what they're doing. The syllabus in other subjects like science is definitive. There's not as much room for ambiguity. To further the ambiguity, not only is the syllabus poor, but there is no place for even the teachers to turn to for help. There's no standard for teaching SDD which they can really refer to.

It was a mistake for me to choose this subject over biology.

treelovinhippie

<this space for rent>
HSC
Slide Rule said:
Oh, kind of like how more private school students succeed in life than public school students? It's been proven - you'll have to look it up.

EDIT: I'm not trying to start a private vs public flameware, but you shouldn't go making wild assertions without even offering a trace of evidence, nor assume your opinions are fact.

Further, sure your school might be bad, but complaining about it won't get you anywhere. People are quick to place blame, but when it comes to actually doing something to fix the problem... hah! That's not to say I am immune to this type of thinking - I'm not, but we all need to try and avoid it.
lol yeah, when you comapre the ratio of people in private schools who actually want to do well against many in the public schools that don't care and will probably end up on the dole :)

But yeah, I'm pretty sure my comment is true, as I've heard it quite a lot.

hmm, back to the software debate :)... I think this thread's gone private vs public... though I think it can accommodate both :D

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
It would be interesting to hear the problems Lwaxana's sees with the Software Design and Development course, as well as the problems she had in teaching it.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
That's not proof. That's somebody's interpretation of an interpretation of ONE research finding (which itself is only experimental data, not proof).

Last edited:

Trias

HSC
N/A
*Hits the Hippie*
*Hits the Slide rule*

Thou shalt not de-rail a thread.
Now back to the topic at hand

So slide rule how are you going to do the HSC?
Are you just going to teach yourself or do you have some grand plan that I just know you would love to fill me in on?

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Looks like I'll have to put in the hard work and teach myself. My teacher also wants to do the option topic I don't wish to do, so yeah - teach myself.

But if you figure out this 'gand plan', be sure to notify me. :p

Trias

HSC
N/A
Well I am on the hunt.
Next step is to go around to every software teachers house and sing "Born free" at their pets.

That'l teach em.
And who knows, they may just pay me in knowledge to keep my lovely singing voice away.

*On the topic*

Looking through the previous HSC papers, there doesent seem to be that much to learn.
Im thinking that a revision book (and my textbook for reference) may be all I need.

Has any one who has done the SDD HSC comment on this?

[Then again, who would be reading this if they have done the HSC already.
Ah well worth a shot]

HSC
I did a few past HSC papers of SDD, I guarantee you they are so much easier than my SDD half yearly ... I got sam davis, hienemenn and excel SDD, they all have 3 different answers for 1 dot point, there is no consistency with this subject :(

But its true, subjects like chemistry use key words to give you an idea how indepth you should study something

Shona_01

HSC
Well i read half of it,
and well my teacher is the opposite she rather have 4 days of theory and one day of prac, i mean then she go on and say that you can only do you Major project (the programming side) during school im like hmm yeah sure where going to get that done now arn't we......not!
We have done majority of the theory last year. Well anyway,
- Shona.

Frob

HSC
Haven't read your whole post or the thread, because I'm studying for my software exam this very afternoon. Just let me say, that your teacher sounds competent compared to ours. There's one guy in our class who continually sidetracks him and he will spend an entire lesson discussing the school's intranet. It isn't useful when it's already been discussed five times.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)