Is your SDD teacher as crap as mine? (1 Viewer)

HellVeN

Banned
HSC
I don't think the teacher has opened the book this year or made us do any written sylabus work. Our lessons consist of the teacher either rambling on about things which interest no-one and have nothing remotly in common with SDD or us playing network games like quake3 and AOE2.

An absolute waste of a class.

PoP 'n' Fresh

Poke me! I giggle!
HSC
Havn't reading all posts here (short on time right now), I'll just put in a quick word or two from a "successful" SDD student of 2004.

Just a quick background: My SDD teacher I will blatantly say was probably the best out there to teach SDD. Awesome champ deserved the class present he got from us all at the end. Thats how good he was =)

Anyway.. I'm not gonna be bitching about someones teacher, or anything like that. I'll just tell you how to get a good mark.

Youve got the Excel book, Youve got the Heinemann book. Personally I wouldnt recommend some of Heinemann as its wrong, nethertheless, thats enough to get a band 3/4.
Then you've got past papers. PAST PAPERS PEOPLE! BOS here supplies you students with many many PAST PAPERS. They will get you band 5/6.

If your teachers are setting your half-yearly tests, and your getting about 50-80%, take a look at other schools half yearly papers (or even the CSSA ones if they do them?), most likely what happens is that if teachers write half-yearlies, they tend to concentrate on specific areas, sometimes even quite non-syllabus areas. Its not a big problem if your mark is lower than what you would like at this stage, however, ranking is the big kahoo (as in all subjects), so if your not ranked no. 1, you have to start right now. Put in EFFORT right now. Extra syllabus study, even some non-syllabus study so you just have a greater general knowledge of the course.

If you go to class, and find it a waste of time, then it bloody well is!
You may as well not go to class.

Its up to the student on how much they want to succeed, not the teacher.
About 85% of work is done at home/studying. 15% being in class.

To the person with the teacher that didnt want to give the 3/3 marks or whatever it was I read:
I seriously think you should make a complaint about your SDD teacher if his attitude is like that. Someone with that attitude should not be teaching. Take it up with the head teacher of your tech. department, or the principle, etc.

Happy Studying!

HSC
hey guys! i was reading this in SDD today... when our teacher had to go home and left us for a double period (80 mins) to figure out how to use delphi 7 on the computers!! i had never experienced this program before in my life and i was expected to figure out the whole thing in 80 mins! this isn't an unusual thing for our teacher tho! i was actually surprised he organised what we were going to do... usually he comes into the class room unlocks the text book cupboard n tells us to complete up to chapt 5 by the end of term! and then he walks out... im not sure if i've learnt anything all year off the teacher!... who unfortunately is also my extn maths teacher... he jus makes us feel like shit if we dont do it the right way :( im gettin cranky now!!!!!!!

PoP 'n' Fresh

Poke me! I giggle!
HSC
melly, if your pissed off that your not learning, then its your fault.
I hope you do do the work that you get set (as well as extra study n stuff).
You don't need a teacher to learn, you just need motivation.

HSC
im doing the work... infact i think im the only one in the class that has actually done up to chpt 5... the thing is... our teacher isnt there to help us with any thing at all... he walks outa the room at the beginning ov every lesson after hes opened the text book cupboard n cums back 5 mins b4 the end... yells @ us 4 being loud, tells us to pack up and den the bell goes... n thats about it!
i have taught myself everything i have learnt in SDD this yr... i havent learnt one thing off the teacher

PoP 'n' Fresh

Poke me! I giggle!
HSC
Heh thats where you ask on these forums for help (instead of all you other bitchy people).
Then theres also that helpline before the HSC. I actually used that when there was 1 part of the syllabus I wasn't 100% clear on, and couldn't get help from teacher right then -.-

Make sure you do past papers. They help greatly.

HSC
hey again! i no all about the hsc advice line... my dad used to work on it n do tha marking n stuf... u've probly all heard of sam davis? thats my dad! lol
the only problem is... thats bout a year and a half away for me! and so i can't exactly use it RIGHT NOW can i to learn delphi! and dads never done delphi b4 so he can't help either! i asked him if he would ever DREAM of leaving a class in a classroom and expecting them to figure a program themself and he thought i was joking!
anyways... i dont really know what to do! i mean its a bit hard for you guys to explain to me how to do the whole thing on this isn't it! but if any of you have any advice at all that has helped you understand delphi... i wouldn't h8 u if u helped me!!
thanx 4 all ur replys MWA

HSC
hey thanx laxwana... im having a look @ that now n i'll let u no how i go... its SUCH a shame i dont live wit my da, but i do call him if i have any probs... Pop_n_fresh sam davis... my dad... is a genius;) haha he writes IPt & SDD text books aswell as writes report programs for schools and a UAI estimator... im proud ov him.. spesh coz hes a nice guy aswell as a smarty pants! (dont mean to brag!)

just like i said earlier i am the only person who has done the work up to chapt 5 (As we have been told to do)... i took myself into another room so i wouldn't be distracted, i was proud of myself being an independant worker/learner and guess what he wrote on my report!! he ticked "yet to be developed" (the worst one) on the box that said "shows initiative and motivation as an independant learner" LMAO!!!! hes not there enough to know if i am an independant learner or not! he probably didn't even know i did that did he!

Last edited:

aaaman

Banned
HSC
i think it would b very wise for u 2 drop this course if u think its not worth ur time now

HSC
PoP 'n' Fresh said:
sam davis... rings a bell but can't quite put the name to anything. :S
being serious?

he wrote the SDD text book (our one anyway) and is a member at these boards.

sig

HSC
surfsup_melly88 said:
my dad used to work on it n do tha marking n stuf... u've probly all heard of sam davis? thats my dad! lol

Tell him he's done an excellent job on the textbook, it was the only thing that saved me (hopeless teacher)

HSC
are you serious sam davis is your dad!? jesus i can imagine now all these SDD students wanting to go out with you so they can use you to get to your father to go heaps well in the HSC

HSC
i just showed dad all your posts LOL... he laughed!

msg from the man himself!!(my dad)
"i come on this site myself, i am happy to help with any questions you might have"

lol, hes such a nerd, hes gone to play gt3 on ps2 haha

HSC
there's probably a good reason why im studying off his book primarily, best explanation ever of selection/insertion sort!

tell him keep up the good work

Purp|e

miesynth
HSC
bahahaha, thats insane ... seriously - high five your dad for me :p few days before sdd exam with his text book after a year of no workies = 84! :) <3 lol...not an amazing mark, but i was happy after no wrk and missing 2 months of school :eek:

Last edited:
HSC
Purp|e said:
bahahaha, thats insane ... seriously - high five your dad for me :p few days before sdd exam with his text book after a year of no workies = 84! :) <3 lol...not an amazing mark, but i was happy after no wrk and missing 2 months of school :eek:
done and done lol... i think he must be proud dat u got that mark after doin no work and missing 2 months, congrats from me 2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)