• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Is your SDD teacher as crap as mine? (1 Viewer)

Zian64

A kitty carrier on a plane headed to Winmalee
HSC
I concure!!!

well this seems to be a pattern, cos it seems eve45yone has a crap sdd teacher. Weve got a class of 25 and he is only around for about 10 min a period max not to mention he is ussually about 8-10 minutes late EVERY period so we pretty much get jack all work done. But as said in a previous post, anyone good wouldnt be teaching, but instead makin 100000+ elseware, just start a study group with classmates, to keep up

FreakTrigger

HSC
N/A
I can top all of this.

I've seen my teacher in the class a total of 11 times all year.

We've kept track.

So far we've learnt about ramjet engines, the san francisco gay scene and the b-52's.

The class of 7, which started as 19, all of whom left because he's fucking worthless, are all selftaught.

It's even more frustrating because he's quite capable of teaching it, but simply doesn't care enough to turn up to the classes, one of us has to go and get the keys off him, simply because he doesnt want to turn up to the class because hes playing with google maps in a little locked room at the top of the library.

treelovinhippie

<this space for rent>
HSC
Yep definately a timely warning to those in year 10.... DON'T DO SOFTWARE!!!

Until the BOS actually fix the software course then don't risk your hsc on doing it.

If I had of known how shit this course and its teachers were, then I would have done something else.

switchblade87

HSC
treelovinhippie said:

Until the BOS actually fix the software course then don't risk your hsc on doing it.

If I had of known how shit this course and its teachers were, then I would have done something else.
Amen brother, amen.

HSC
wen did i stick up for lamont lol... neva gonna happen!!! p.s. hu r u Zian??

and good point on warning the yr 10s, my dad does write the text books and is a mass nerd @ the subject, but im still thinking about dropping it due to the incredible lack of motivation the teacher has!!! how are we supposed to be motivated for a subject if the teacher doesn't even lyk it! makes no sense to me!

treelovinhippie

<this space for rent>
HSC
I wrote a short email to BOS a little while back explaining my situation with software and how the course just wasn't up to standard, I added a link to this thread and other similar ones. The lady said she forwarded it onto the relevant people.

... but obviously nothing will happen :)

... the BOS is simply a bunch of people working in offices, they have no contact (directly or indirectly) with schools or students and wouldn't give a shit about how the actual students and teachers are finding particular courses.

HSC
guys! i have realised that i haven't been taught ONE THING since half yrly's!! how de hell does he expect me to ENJOY and do well in this subject if he doesn't teach us a thing!!

LordSeafood

HSC
Yes all the teachers seem to do is spout out some code, not explain it, and then give you a textbook while he goes and has a coffee.

So maybe a better Warning to those in year 10 would be

DON'T DO SOFTWARE unless you are willing to teach yourself. as the most teachers out there are not willing to do it

Ravisher

Mr Wilson

I Dont know about your guys but my software teacher is the crazy!

i mean he's crap when it comes to assignments, because he's the TAS co-ord he pisses of down to the woodwork room whenever we have a software assign due and leaves us to do it ourselves; most of the class loses it. But i find it rather funny probly because im ranked 2nd.

But i swear my teacher has the best accent, i mean every class we make fun of him, and his accent and he doesnt care.

He might be a bit of a crummy teacher but as an individual he's the bomb. Know a fair bit about RC cars, computers and pretty much the things that are worth knowing in the world.

I think most SDD teachers are kinda weird in general but give them your best 2 cents.

Ravisher

treelovinhippie said:

For people like me software is the best because i know it all, yr11 got me into it and i sat down and taught it to myself. Now im involved with alot of the larger corps and doing small jobs for them. Me and a mate wend to a microsoft event @ star city and ended up landing work experience for microsoft partner companies and doing tutorials for UTS students!

YES THAT'S RIGHT programming apps in C# for UTS students and where in yr12 What a Joke! it really makes you wanna reconsider going to uni sometimes. Along with this we also ended up aiding in Microsoft's MSN Virtual Earth, which is competing against Google Earth

However i do feel that for 90% of the people in my class arent being taught properly and the course is knida shit. so for those who arent passionate about programming i dont reccomend doing it!

HSC
start revising NOW for the year 12 course for SDD, use;
- excel
- teachers notes
- davis
- fowler
- BOS study notes

start now, you have no idea how fucking annoyingly long it is

HSC
Casmira said:
start revising NOW for the year 12 course for SDD, use;
- excel
- teachers notes
- davis
- fowler
- BOS study notes

start now, you have no idea how fucking annoyingly long it is
I second this,

Chapter 5 is just :|

I'm only using BOS notes, excel and davis.

HSC
tell me about it, I cant understand implementation for shit, I am absoloutley destroying every other topic (its a breeze) GRRRRRRRRRRRRR

HSC
I understand most of the course except for binary division and flip flops in my option,
but implementation is just so vast.

Ghost1788

HSC
DigitalFortress said:
I understand most of the course except for binary division and flip flops in my option,
but implementation is just so vast.
aye u do software developers view of the hardware....

what do we have to know bout flip flops

i hear people talking about latches and what not but my teacher didnt understand how to read one....

All i know is that flip flops are the basic building block of computer memory, they are volatile as in without a voltage they dont work...

HSC
Think you'll need to know the general path of the data in the flip flop. It looks like a side ways figure of 8. And how it continually makes this pattern thru the circuit until another bit is sent through the circuit. (If you don't know what I mean i can explain it further or draw a diagram, hard to describe over net)

And I think you need to know the difference between an RS and DS flipflop.
Sam Davis's textbook becomes very detailed into latches and stuff like that but I highly doubt they will ask that much detail.
The Syllabus says this

Students learn to:
"explain how a flip-flop can be used in the storage and shifting of a bit in memory"

Students learn about:
Electronic circuits to perform standard software operations
• logic gates, including:
– AND, OR, NOT, NAND, NOR, XOR
• truth tables
• circuit design steps
– identify inputs and outputs
– identify required components
– check solution with a truth table
– evaluate the circuit design
• specialty circuits, including:
– half adder
– full adder
flip-flops as a memory store

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)