• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Isn't it Ironic... (1 Viewer)

placebo

HSC
remember that song from ages ago..Ironic by Alanis Morissette and the line "he won the lottery and died the next day"...well have a look @ this news story...

-------------

ELWOOD, Ind. - A man who won $57,000 in an Indiana lottery game taped for television died hours later when he was hit by a pickup truck.

The "Hoosier Millionaire" featuring Carl D. Atwood, 73, was broadcast Saturday night after his family said they wanted the show to go on, Hoosier Lottery director Jack Ross said.

The broadcast concluded with a photo of Atwood accompanied by text reading: "In memory of Carl Atwood."

Atwood won the money Thursday during a two-hour taping in Indianapolis.

"I am very thankful," he proclaimed. "I must admit that I never expected to be leaving the show with this amount of money. Now I can purchase a very nice car."

Hours later, Atwood was hit by a truck as he walked to the grocery store where he bought the winning ticket near his home in Elwood, about 40 miles northeast of Indianapolis. He died at a hospital.

The driver has not been charged.

Atwood would have been among those invited back to compete for a $1 million grand prize in three weeks.

"We will work with the family to make arrangements on how to handle the championship show," Ross said. "We will certainly have a place on that show for someone who the family chooses to take his place."

-------

i thought it was quite amusing....

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
I think the truly ironic thing about the song 'Ironic' is that the various incidents depicted in the lyrics aren't really that ironic at all. If anything, they count more as examples of bad luck, rather than true irony.

One of my favourite pieces of actual irony;
Gentleman, you can't fight in here. This is the War Room!-Dr Strangelove; Or How I Stopped Worrying And Learned To Love The Bomb.

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
hehehe
even if it isnt ironic its still got cool lyrics
'its like 10000 spoons when all u need is a knife..'
'a no smoooking sign on ur cigarette break..'

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
eeeesh! o_O

it's like a black fly in your chardonnay
it's a death row pardon two minutes too late
and isn't it ironic, don't you think?

it's like raaaaain on your wedding day
a free ride when you've already paid
it's the good advice that you just didn't take
and who would've thought, it figures...?

i loved alanis!

placebo

HSC
Originally posted by bubz :D
eeeesh! o_O

it's like a black fly in your chardonnay
it's a death row pardon two minutes too late
and isn't it ironic, don't you think?

it's like raaaaain on your wedding day
a free ride when you've already paid
it's the good advice that you just didn't take
and who would've thought, it figures...?

i loved alanis!
mr play it safe....etc....etc

heh!! what a mad song!!!

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i used to love this song and another good one

Originally posted by Gregor Samsa
I think the truly ironic thing about the song 'Ironic' is that the various incidents depicted in the lyrics aren't really that ironic at all. If anything, they count more as examples of bad luck, rather than true irony.

Gentleman, you can't fight in here. This is the War Room!-Dr Strangelove; Or How I Stopped Worrying And Learned To Love The Bomb.
dr stangelove: or how i learned to stop worrying and love the bomb has got to be one of the funniest movies ever made. and you're right, that line was hilarious.
i think muse did a video clip recently that was in hommage to that film.

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
yeah, our english teacher criticised alanis morrisette for corrupting the word ironic, cos you're right- the situations in her song are just cases of really, really bad luck

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
and the problem is that most people from our generation look to that song to remember the meaning of ironic. or to back up the meaning their teacher gives. but it doesn't work.

felix_js

lost
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by babyslug
haha, if you like stuff like that you should check out www.darwinawards.com - i think that's the link.

irony
n. pl. ironies
The use of words to express something different from and often opposite to their literal meaning.
An expression or utterance marked by a deliberate contrast between apparent and intended meaning.
A literary style employing such contrasts for humorous or rhetorical effect.

darwinawards is just nature cleaning out the idiots in our world :)

is a roflcopter
HSC
i fucking love jagged little pill
fuck i wana listen now

um..

hip hop antagoniser
HSC
N/A

yeah i was gonna say that
like, that one about 'raaaaaaaaaaain on your wedding day' is not ironic. it would have been ironic if like, the groom was a weatherman or something, but he wasnt.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)