ISP choices... (1 Viewer)

AppleXY

s00 l33t xD
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey guys,

I'm thinking to change (well my 'rents said we may change :p) to other ISP since our current connection is S***T! lol (optus adsl Starter-Plus 512). This is becoz it drops out frequently and I use the d/l limit in about ~1 day. But anyway, I checked out iiNet, Internode and AAPT. The iiNet deal (adsl2+) is a bloody beauty (i mean like for $50 24000/1500 6GB only $10 more than wot we pay now). I was just wondering, is iiNet good? any bad experiences? How is their customer service?

My second option is Internode then AAPT.

..Which ISP shud i go with?

Many Thanks,

AppleXY :)

iamsickofyear12

HSC
I'm about to change to iiNet ADSL2. The only problem with them is if you want their ADSL2 you have to bundle your home phone. I've never heard anything bad about them.

If you don't already know you can do a plan search here: http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/bc-plan.cfm

My only recommendation would be do not go with Exetel. Their prices are good but they are a horrible ISP.

AppleXY

s00 l33t xD
HSC
Uni Grad
huh? I thought with u only need to bundle VOIP ($10 extra) to get adsl2+ (24mbs/1.5mbs), I checked out the bundling calculator thingy and thats wot it said. Hmm, i knew there was a catch to it :p

Well thaz mad, thx :)

btw yea already seen whirlpool, theres no real bad recommendations :)

AppleXY

s00 l33t xD
HSC
Uni Grad
adsl 2+ is nice.. sync speeds around ~10-12mbs on average so I'm guessing you may get speeds around 600kb/s? Am I correct?

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
Yeh I used to be with TPG dsl2, but then I had to move out and this new place is already with optus. In fact I am still paying my monthly fee $50 per month until june/july next year.

Their cancellation fee depends on how many more months you have until the end of contract and it's capped at $350, which is quite a bulk. I prefer to pay them off $50 per month as I had 7 more months to go (50 * 7 = 350).

I also suggest that you use the shortest telephone cable around to connect the dsl modem to the wall socket. With a 1m cable I got a sync of around 23000, rather than using my 5m cable with a sync of 16000. It is still pretty high none the less but you also get less packet loss with a shorter cable.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Go iinet, internode or TPG. A few months ago I would've suggested exetel, but they've become utter pricks of late, and I'm considering churning.

EDIT: Note also that a 6gb dl limit on DSL2 is sweet fuck all.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
AppleXY said:
huh? I thought with u only need to bundle VOIP ($10 extra) to get adsl2+ (24mbs/1.5mbs), I checked out the bundling calculator thingy and thats wot it said.
You can bundle either VOIP or phone but if you bundle with VOIP you still need to buy the phone line from someone else.

AppleXY

s00 l33t xD
HSC
Uni Grad
Oh... I use optus phone, so could i plug in my phone line into the VOIP iiNet socket?
or do i have to purchase the fricken phone advantage :(

iamsickofyear12

HSC
AppleXY said:
Oh... I use optus phone, so could i plug in my phone line into the VOIP iiNet socket?
or do i have to purchase the fricken phone advantage :(
You would plug your phone into a VOIP enabled modem that is plugged into the phone line. Your Optus phone would still be there, if you plugged any phone directly into the phone line it would use Optus to call, you just wouldn't use it because VOIP is cheaper.

AppleXY

s00 l33t xD
HSC
Uni Grad
oh i c... Do I have to actually use VOIP to get 24000/1500 speeds or can i just bundle it and not use it and still get those awesome speeds? (im guessing no :p)

meh, mite as well go wit internode (u still get 8gb 512) coz my 'rents say they cant spend more than $50 a month.

btw, thx for all the help peps :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)