ISP Question - Jesus and the Buddha? (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
Hello there.... I guess this is mainly directed towards Snapperhead, or anyone else that knows....

We were given our ISPs two weeks ago, and I decided to do Taoism. So far I've been researching the beliefs and practices of that (B) and working on the journal.

Tonight, whilst researching, I came about a text called 'The Jesus Sutras: The Lost Religion of Taoist Christianity' and actually became rather excited. (I believe in Jesus Christ and consider myself a Christian, but am incredibly interested in Eastern Religions and Philosophy.... and so finding something with both was just fantastic!)

I read a little more, looked around a bit, and also got onto the idea of the similiarities between Jesus and the Buddha, which have interested me lately.

Anyway, my question is.... would it be somehow possible for me to do my ISP on
-The Jesus Sutras, and the early minglings between Christians and Taoists
or
-A comparative study of the lives and teachings of Jesus Christ, and the Buddha

Under the 4th type of Depth Study as stated in the syllabus, do you think I could possibly do one of these? Are they feasible? Do you think my teacher would allow me?

I have a real enthusiasm for doing this!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Peace. :)

Last edited:

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
etc. etc. etc. said:
Hello there.... I guess this is mainly directed towards Snapperhead, or anyone else that knows....

We were given our ISPs two weeks ago, and I decided to do Taoism. So far I've been researching the beliefs and practices of that (B) and working on the journal.

Tonight, whilst researching, I came about a text called 'The Jesus Sutras: The Lost Religion of Taoist Christianity' and actually became rather excited. (I believe in Jesus Christ and consider myself a Christian, but am incredibly interested in Eastern Religions and Philosophy.... and so finding something with both was just fantastic!)

I read a little more, looked around a bit, and also got onto the idea of the similiarities between Jesus and the Buddha, which have interested me lately.

Anyway, my question is.... would it be somehow possible for me to do my ISP on
-The Jesus Sutras, and the early minglings between Christians and Taoists
or
-A comparative study of the lives and teachings of Jesus Christ, and the Buddha

Under the 4th type of Depth Study as stated in the syllabus, do you think I could possibly do one of these? Are they feasible? Do you think my teacher would allow me?

I have a real enthusiasm for doing this!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Peace. :)
sorry...didnt see this

cant do founders for your ISP as far as I know .: Jesus and Buddha are out (but this does depend on the school but technically you shouldnt as the ISP rules follow the same rules as the teachers/interpreters unit)

Cant speak for your teacher (as at the end of teh day, they have to OK it) but it sounds interesting. Only issue would be the use of one source as your primary (and possibly your only source full stop) which is an issue if the marking criteria mentions multiple primary sources.
Also, having not read the book, Im guessing the book is more about Taosit influence on Christianity than the other way around therefore where does it fit in with the syllabus?
Students learn about:
(A) the origins and historical development of Taoism
∑ the legend of Lao Tzu
∑ the development of philosophical, mystical and popular forms of Taoism
∑ the interplay of Yang and Yin in the pattern of life
(B) the interrelationship of beliefs, rituals and practices and the ethical and moral teachings of Taoism
∑ Tao as the ultimate reality and way of life in harmony with nature
∑ the principle of spontaneous or passive human action
∑ the writings: the Tao Te Ching and Chuang Tzu
(C) the influence of Taoism
∑ the interaction with Chinese society and culture
∑ the interrelationship with Confucianism
∑ the interrelationship with Buddhism.
If doing the Taosit ISP as stated as its not C

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)