ISP Surney: Media and Religion (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBear_25

HSC
Hello, everyone
Iam doing my ISP (Interest Study Project) on Media and Religion, with a focus on 9//11 and its connection with Islam. I would really appreciate it if you could answer the following questions.
Thanks Bigbear :)

Cultural Background:

Religious Affiliation (i.e. what religion do you associate with):

1) Describe your understanding of the events of September 11.

2) Has the media in anyway influenced your understanding of 9/11? If yes then how so?

3) Do you agree with the portrayal of 9/11 by the media?

4) Do you agree with the connotations attached with the events of 9/11 and the religion of Islam by the media?

5) Do you believe that the events of 9/11 were religiously motivated? Has this belief been influenced by the media is any way? If so how?

6) Generally describe how the media has portrayed figures like Osama bin Laden.

7) What do you personally think of figures like Osama bin Laden?

8) How did the media portray the events of 9/11 with relation to the religion of Islam? (You can write down ways in terms of language and connotations used against Muslims, did the media stereotype, what where the stereotypes, ect.)

If you are not of the religion of Islam please answer the following question:

1) How do you think the media portrayal of 9/11 in relation to Islam has impacted the Religion as a whole? (In terms of the consequences of the portrayal by the media)

If you are of the religion of Islam please answer the following questions:

State your Islamic group (i.e Sunni or Shi’i):

1) What is your understanding of the concept of jihad?

2) Do you believe that the media’s portrayal of the concept of jihad is correct? If no then why?

3) Define the terms fundamentalists and extremists/radicals

4) Do you consider terrorist groups such as the Taliban who have carried out acts of terror to be fundamentalists or extremists/radicals and why?

5) If you have read the Qur’an could you point out the sections that have been misinterpreted by both terrorist groups and/or the media? If so what are they and what do they actually mean?

6) If you could talk/or write against the media what would you say to their portrayal of your religion in relation to the events of 9/11?

Feel free to add any suggestions that you feel I should look at or comments:.

(Sorry that it is really long)

Your responses have will be much appreciated. Thank you again

rhia

salty
HSC

Cultural Background: Australian?

Religious Affiliation (i.e. what religion do you associate with): Theravada Buddhism

1) Describe your understanding of the events of September 11. i have a minimal understanding, as i don't tend to get too involved in current events. my understanding encompasses what basically happened: that is, planes were hi-jacked, slammed into the world trade center, pentagon, and a field.

2) Has the media in anyway influenced your understanding of 9/11? If yes then how so? the media has obviously influenced it, as my knowledge of september 11 isn't first hand. anything i know, it is because of the media.

3) Do you agree with the portrayal of 9/11 by the media? that's very vague, as different media portray it in different ways. because i am hardly the most educated person on the subject, i don't think i'm in a position to be able to agree or to disagree. however, i vaguely remember at the time that it was very emotional, e.g. many personal, tear-jerking stories.

4) Do you agree with the connotations attached with the events of 9/11 and the religion of Islam by the media? i'm afraid i'm not aware of what islam has been purported to have been involved with by the media.

5) Do you believe that the events of 9/11 were religiously motivated? Has this belief been influenced by the media is any way? If so how? i have no idea.

6) Generally describe how the media has portrayed figures like Osama bin Laden. typical bad guy.

7) What do you personally think of figures like Osama bin Laden? too far removed from myself to seem real.

8) How did the media portray the events of 9/11 with relation to the religion of Islam? (You can write down ways in terms of language and connotations used against Muslims, did the media stereotype, what where the stereotypes, ect.) as said above, don't know.

If you are not of the religion of Islam please answer the following question:

1) How do you think the media portrayal of 9/11 in relation to Islam has impacted the Religion as a whole? (In terms of the consequences of the portrayal by the media) N/A.

If you are of the religion of Islam please answer the following questions: N/A (questions deleted)

- a very helpful participant

BigBear_25

HSC
Thank you for your response, very much appreciated.

I would like more people to fill in this survrey.

I have realised that this survey can be difficult but i

don't mind if you can't awnser all the questions.

thank you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)