• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Issues/Themes Thank You For Smoking? PLZ Help (1 Viewer)

Chromatic

Banned
HSC
N/A
I've got an essay coming up, and I need 3 themes/issues which both Julius Caesar and Thank you for smoking have in common... I have one:

1) POWER (Please correct me/help me improve if you like)
- Represented in Thank you for smoking through Nick Naylor's control of the media to influence their decisions on cigarettes
- Represented in Julius Caesar through the assassination of Caesar, and the dangers of having too much power

2) ?

3) ?

Please help me out :D

Toranilor

HSC
I'm just guessing here, but I think you could go for;

Impact of Confl.Pers. on normal relationships
-Brutus' betrayal of Caesar reflects the huge impact a conflicting perspective had on their relationship
-Naylor's relationship with his son is strained dues to conflicting perspectives, partially due to the dissaproval of others, but mostly due to the undersirable nature of his job as a mediator between conf. pers.

Manipulation, and it's effects on the prevailing or 'correct' side of a conflicting perspective
-Mark Antony's rallying of the crowd, shortly after Brutus' calming - shows how an audience can easily be maniuplated concerning a conflicting perspective
-Naylor's repeated media pandering, again shows this maniupulations (eg, his actions on the talk show in the opening scenes)

Might have more if i actually read Julius Caesar, but hope that helps.

Chromatic

Banned
HSC
N/A
I'm just guessing here, but I think you could go for;

Impact of Confl.Pers. on normal relationships
-Brutus' betrayal of Caesar reflects the huge impact a conflicting perspective had on their relationship
-Naylor's relationship with his son is strained dues to conflicting perspectives, partially due to the dissaproval of others, but mostly due to the undersirable nature of his job as a mediator between conf. pers.

Manipulation, and it's effects on the prevailing or 'correct' side of a conflicting perspective
-Mark Antony's rallying of the crowd, shortly after Brutus' calming - shows how an audience can easily be maniuplated concerning a conflicting perspective
-Naylor's repeated media pandering, again shows this maniupulations (eg, his actions on the talk show in the opening scenes)

Might have more if i actually read Julius Caesar, but hope that helps.
I love you :D

If you have more, please share them

Toranilor

HSC
I can think of one more;

Honour / Integrity
-Naylor's poor strength of character surrounding his job. "Would you take the money?" "Yeah."
-Brutus and Mark Antony's emphasis on honour, despite the trying circumstances.

bouncing

HSC
I can think of one more;

Honour / Integrity
-Naylor's poor strength of character surrounding his job. "Would you take the money?" "Yeah."
-Brutus and Mark Antony's emphasis on honour, despite the trying circumstances.
Brutus when he says
" let us be purgers not butchers ... (sorry something along those lines" because he doesnt want to kill antony as well (for it will not be for the good of rome)

Brutus lets Antony speak out of honour - he thinks he has the rhetorical capabilities of countering his arguement only to be owned :L

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)