Issues with Drama teacher and performances (1 Viewer)

Lily_Luna_Rose

HSC
I need some advice, or an opinion, or SOMETHING.

I honestly feel like my drama teacher is trying to screw up my practical performances for the HSC. I am good at comical and/or evil characters, and I am terrible at sad characters, and trying to create empathy in the audience. So not only does my drama teacher screw my group performance so much so that my group has 5 weeks to create an entire play before the HSC Practical Performance, make sure that I am the only one in a groups of terrible actors that plays an inconsequential role, but she has also made it so that I can't be evil, or funny, or have any elements I need to do well.
With my monologue, she has decided that I should have a sad monologue to create empathy in the audience, EVEN THOUGH she knows I'm terrible at it. Every time I try to make a character I'm good at, she says, "Oh no, you can't do that. Do this instead", and I thought she was helping me. I had been warned by some friends in the year above me, that she would screw up everything, but I had no choice. I was completely and utterly desperate! I have my HSC Practical Performance in one week, so I don't have much time, but I really need help.

I'm sorry to be ranting, but I need advice: Please, what do I do to save my Drama HSC?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
You're teacher is right about making a connection with the audience, but going about it the wrong way. Honestly, if your a week out, you just need to pick something that you know you can learn and practice in a week; regardless of what it is. If you play comic or evil characters, then do a comic or evil character. Just make sure the audience can connect to them; so basically, give the evil character motivations or make the comic character more than a string of jokes.

On the day, there's nothing your teacher can do to stop your performance that wouldn't be reportable to some higher authority. So while you should take your teachers message on board, pick something your comfortable with ASAP and practice the hell out of it.

captainpigs

Tutor and Note Seller
HSC
Uni Grad
Your drama teacher probably just has their own idea about what is going to get you a band 6.
Often for your IP having something comedic makes it harder to connect with audiences on a more than superficial level.
In your group performance comedy is fine, but in IP your better off making your audience and the markers feel something--- rather than just laughing alot. Saying that though if you have a comedic character you can perform really well then just go for it- theres no point trying to play a character you can't do. In the end it's your IP and as long as you can show your progression in your logbook your not going to be penalized for changing your mind (unless it really sucks).

In terms of your role in your GP- try to make it your own. You are marked individually so give the markers something to remember you buy. Give yourself a recognizable trait to leave in the markets mind. Often in group performances there is some imbalance but ultimately again discuss with your group if you have ways to improve your performance.
Don't fall into the category of people who just say the character wasn't what they wanted and that's why they failed. Often when I did drama performances in a group for assessments we would have 2 or 3 days for a whole performance and in the last day you would often be starting from scratch after just exploring the possibilities for the first couple of days. As for the other members of the group you need to step up and be a leader- push them to stay back after school for rehearsals and make sure you have a script that everyone can practice from -google docs is what my group used.
I'm being completely honest here in telling you that 5 weeks is more than enough as long as you put the effort in. Drama isn't a subject you can bludge and half ass if you want to succeed. I'd start with 3 days a week after school rehearsing and one full day on the weekend if your that worried. Just don't tell yourself it's hopeless because if you don't atleast try and make the most of it you will look back on your marks and regret it all.

The group and IP are things to enjoy so try to stress less and have fun because often the best material comes when there is a cohesion in the group and even if just doing some theatre sports having a good flow creates quality performances.

Having done it before as have so many others I'm telling you to push on and do your best.
I hope this helped somehow or gave you some insight into my experience.

Break a leg!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)