IT Camp 2010 (1 Viewer)

Aeriff

HSC
Got these in an email this evening. Everyone should get it eventually..

UTS FEIT O-CAMP FAQ

These details have all come from the following URL:
UTS FEIT Orientation Camp - FAQ

Can I change my camp?

Students may NOT change their camp. If you have any difficulties that may prevent you from turning up to a camp, please email o-camp@eng.uts.edu.au

What are the bus times?

The bus times are as follows:

· IT Camp (17th Feb – 19th Feb)
Bus departs for camp from Haymarket @ 15:00 on the 17th
Bus arrives back to Haymarket @ approx.16:30 on the 19th

· Eng Camp 1 (22nd Feb – 24th Feb)
Bus departs for camp from Haymarket @ 12:00 on the 22nd
Bus arrives back to Haymarket @ approx. 12:00 on the 24th

· Eng Camp 2 (24th Feb – 26th Feb)
Bus departs for camp from Haymarket @ 15:00 on the 24th
Bus arrives back to Haymarket @ approx.16:30 on the 26th

0Renzokuken0

HSC
Hmm yeah I got the email as well. I'm at the second camp for engineering, just wondering but do we get the registration form from the site? Cause they said i'll be getting another email which would be the registration form. I got one saying "Registration" in the subject line but it wasn't it, it didn't have any attachments either.

Aeriff

HSC
Hmm yeah I got the email as well. I'm at the second camp for engineering, just wondering but do we get the registration form from the site? Cause they said i'll be getting another email which would be the registration form. I got one saying "Registration" in the subject line but it wasn't it, it didn't have any attachments either.
I got one for my early round engineering offer (which I declined in favour of a main round offer) which had some details filled out such as my name etc. but you can grab the form off the OCamp site: http://ocamp.feit.uts.edu.au/uploads/camp2010_docs/OCamp_Rego.pdf - take it along with you to enrolment plus $90.

I also got the registration email you're talking of but it only had a few lines. Something tells me the mailing list or whatever screwed up.

kkwok25

UAI aim: 85+
HSC
so is this camp compulsory? i know it says in the email, but i know last years wasn't =.=

lukepp

HSC
Anyone else have stuff that clashes with the camp? I'm already doing stuff on all 3 days. :(

tehpyro

Lord of Bored
HSC
so is this camp compulsory? i know it says in the email, but i know last years wasn't =.=
It is 'compulsory' every year, but I use that word very lightly. The faculty will more or less state that you have to attend, but the consequences of not going are very minor (not getting to meet people, missing out on basic university guidelines and information etc.)

Makro

Porcupine
HSC
Is it actually any good? Not to sound like I feel superior, but it sounds a little lame unless it's genuinely fun. Also it's just for us to get to know each other right, it's not really got anything to do with the courses?

maz3ndor

HSC
It is 'compulsory' every year, but I use that word very lightly. The faculty will more or less state that you have to attend, but the consequences of not going are very minor (not getting to meet people, missing out on basic university guidelines and information etc.)
So what WOULD you actually miss if you didnt go? Stuff that is covered at Orientation anyway?

tehpyro

Lord of Bored
HSC
You would not miss anything essential to the course. Things covered on the camp include, from memory, buying books, what lectures/tutorials are like, what you do if you're having problems (and dispute escalation), how to apply for a special circumstances exemption/extension (since deadlines in university are deadlines-- turning something in late can be anywhere from 20% - 100% off your mark) and other basic university principles and information. That's not to say these things aren't important, but they can be found of from other sources if you can't make the camp. You'll just have to find it all in your own time without help from the older students/staff... although the special circumstances extension is covered by most lecturers in the first week.

maz3ndor

HSC
Is there anyway to apply to not go? To go is very awkward for me.

tehpyro

Lord of Bored
HSC
Your default status is not going. They will ask you to sign-up at enrolment, I think, though I've heard they're doing it through email. You can simply not pay and not turn up, if you're not interested in going. If they hassle you about it, tell them you cannot make it (for whatever reason), and they won't push you further. If you'd like to tell them you're not going:

Email

For all O-Camp inquiries please email:
o-camp@eng.uts.edu.au
Phone

For all O-Camp inquiries please call:
+61 2 9514 7547

maz3ndor

HSC
I was under the impression that enrollment was done as a step-by-step process, and that one of those steps was paying for/signing up for camp.

Is the camp signup/payment does elsewhere than the enrollment room?

Also, is enrollment just going to a table and sitting down with someone sorting it out? Or do they just give you the forms and info that you sort out yourself before handing it in?

tehpyro

Lord of Bored
HSC
I was under the impression that enrollment was done as a step-by-step process, and that one of those steps was paying for/signing up for camp.

Is the camp signup/payment does elsewhere than the enrollment room?
I enrolled in 2008, so they may have changed it this year, but my experience was of 4 stations, one of which was signing up for camp. One was the 'I showed up for enrolment' station, another was actual enrolment, and the last was 'take a photo and get your ID'. Each is in a different room. The camp people were set up on a table near the back of the building-- easy to bypass, but if/how you get out of camp is up to you.

Also, is enrollment just going to a table and sitting down with someone sorting it out? Or do they just give you the forms and info that you sort out yourself before handing it in?
From memory, you'll get a piece of paper with some details on it, then you move into a room and sit at a computer where they have instructions. If you need help, there are a few people there to help you out. Enrolment is done online for everybody, but first years are given a hand since the system can be a pain to work out.

azn_satans

HSC
does any1 from previous years know whether we are able to pick our own dorms or is it set?

soap~

Legal Eagle
HSC
does any1 from previous years know whether we are able to pick our own dorms or is it set?
It'll be set. There's not much sense in you picking when you know almost no one else who's attending.

spoonbender

HSC
Is it gonna be like a school camp where they make you do everything? Or are they gonna give us the option to sit out if we want? I'd feel a lot more comfortable about going if I knew there was an escape route from all those 'team building' exercises or whatever, should the need arise.

tehpyro

Lord of Bored
HSC
Is it gonna be like a school camp where they make you do everything? Or are they gonna give us the option to sit out if we want? I'd feel a lot more comfortable about going if I knew there was an escape route from all those 'team building' exercises or whatever, should the need arise.
Haha, Makro is right, they can't force you to do anything you don't want to do. Unfortuntately, the options outside of that are very slim. My cabin-mates kept me up all night back in 2008 talking about how "nobody sleeps on a camp", so I switched cabins and spent the whole second day listening to music instead of rock-climbing or whatever. Basically speaking, if you don't want to do something, you'll be in your cabin. I had a friend from high school at the camp, so that wasn't so bad for me, but if you're alone it can get boring.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)