IT/Computers at UNI (1 Viewer)

firedingo

firedingo
HSC
I'm looking at going to UNI in a couple of years since I plan to take a gap year. I live in the country, Orange to be more specific and I'm thinking about what UNI I'd like to go to.
I think I'd like to become a Systems Analyst/Programmer/Games Developer but I'm not sure which UNI I should choose.

Also I'm considering dropping from Advanced Maths to General Maths.
I'd like to know if I need advanced maths for UNI or not + where people think I should consider going?

Thanks In advance

~Naomi

LordPc

HSC
Dr. Pryor: Here's your scientifically selected career.
Janey: Architect.
Kid: Insurance salesman,
Ralph: Salmon gutter?
Milhouse: Military strongman.
Martin: Systems analyst. Systems analyst.
Dr. Pryor: Systems analyst.
Martin: All right!
-----

hehe. Well I think it would be wise to keep advanced maths. it seems like your interested in careers which do require a bit of math. as for which uni, up to you. I dont think you could get an objective answer to that question tbh

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
if you want to do computing at UNSW you must be able to do 3 unit maths minimum

tehpyro

Lord of Bored
HSC
If you want to do Information Technology at UTS, you don't need to know anything above general mathematics (in fact, you don't technically need to have taken mathematics at all-- but it's recommended). There are certain subjects in certain majors where it's certainly beneficial, but it's definitely not required.

I don't know about any of the other universities here in Sydney-- never studied at them. I do know that computer science generally involves more maths than IT, so if you're looking to avoid as much maths as possible, avoid compsci.

LatK7

HSC
Yeah, it'd be a good idea to keep Adv. maths if you can. I dropped to general in year 12, and am now doing CompSci at UWS. Tbh, i'd probably have done a little better in Discrete Maths and possibly, now, Formal Languages & Automata. Though, even if you do drop, you will just have to work a little harder to get those higher marks.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Question: What's the 'best'/'hardest'/'highest uai' IT/comp related course in Uni? And which Uni is best for that course? And what do you need for it? I'm thinking of doing something related to this, since computers are my passion :D

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
'Advanced' maths?

If you can't deal with 2u, you're going to fail as a developer.

HSC
you'll definitely need alot of maths for this course. General is a very bad decision in this case.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
To be a games developer you need advanced maths.

Question: What's the 'best'/'hardest'/'highest uai' IT/comp related course in Uni? And which Uni is best for that course? And what do you need for it? I'm thinking of doing something related to this, since computers are my passion
ANU/UNSW - I'd go to ANU.

chucknthem

chuck norris
HSC
Depends on what kind of games developer. People think of games development and they think of big studio games sponsored by nvidia, featured on gamespot, starring vin diesel and only runs on a 32 core water cooled xbox. To get there you have to be really good, top of your class, already making/modding hobby games in year 6 and if you're really really lucky you might get to work on a big successful game.

Most games developers are 2d game developers (lower development time/barriers to entry, you don't waste as much time developing something so complicated then fail, lots of money in it on iphone etc), and there's often a lot of libraries already written to do all the heavy math for you, at most you'll only need a very basic understanding of linear algebra to learn how to use them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)