IT Graduate Salaries (1 Viewer)

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
I posted the following in the UTS general thread but didnt get many responses:

Hi...

I dont know if this is the best place to ask...but would like to still ask that what affects graduate salaries? Is it experience? Do you get offered more/less depending on experience.

At IBM I have met graduates getting 45k as well as 55k (thats in IT)...but still unable understand why is there so much difference within the same company?

Where those guys roles are:

45 K - Network Engineer

55 K - Onsite Support

I want to go to IBM BCS.

Thanks .

Cheers.

turtleface

HSC
lil_star said:
I dont know if this is the best place to ask...but would like to still ask that what affects graduate salaries? Is it experience? Do you get offered more/less depending on experience.
By definition, Graduates have no previous professional work experience.

Graduate Salaries depends on sectors. I think government offers a fairly high standardised wage for graduates of all disciplines. And smaller companies sometimes offer more money. Large companies tend to offer less due to the costs of the graduate programs they put their masses of grads into. Plus, they know people will flock to apply for their companies.

In terms of IBM:
Inter-company wise, some divisions pay more than others because they are challenging perhaps, and they want to attract a wider pool of quality candidates. Other divisions pay less because they offer more training in the earlier years.

but you have to keep in mind grad salaries don't matter much. Its the salary you can expect 5-10 years later that matters. A few thousand dollars is nothing for the first few years.

A classic example is say a government accountant vs an accountant working for a private company
Graduate: Gov: 50K, Private: 40K
10 years later: Gov: 100K, Private 200K

Last edited:
T

tactic

I currently work for IBM BCS, but i am just finishing off my last sem at UTS..
I think you friends may not be in grad roles.. as BCS only takes IT grads..

There are not many govt roles that pay > 100k...

for IT grads i'd be expecting ~50K package.. (that includes super)

turtleface

HSC
oh there are...its just that for the same experience you can get like 50X the salary in private organisations

EL2's usually get 86-104K or so. Higher Managers get even more. Thats exclusive of super. Although, the top gov workers will only get about 200K, compared to the $2 million or so people of similar experience can get in private organisations

But some people feel better serving the community and aren't driven by money that much.

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
Thanks guys...Tactic...which location are you at? Are you working as a grad? I am actually an intern :p on a scholarship...Im just asking around what roles grads take,,...so yeah just researching...Im back at Uni in August and graduate Nov 2007 =D.

T

tactic

I'm on a leave of absence atm.. My home office was in Pyrmont but i was never there.. always out on projects. You going to the drinks tomorrow night (thurs)?

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
tactic said:
I'm on a leave of absence atm.. My home office was in Pyrmont but i was never there.. always out on projects. You going to the drinks tomorrow night (thurs)?
Hmm...which drinks?? Never heard of those ones? :s

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)