It is getting hard to justify... (1 Viewer)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
It is getting hard to justify my position on muslims in our country, at the current time. I am not talking about the fact that a terrorist attack was done, but the fact that all I have heard from every single muslim I have talked to so far is that it must be a government conspiracy... that the people involved aren't "extremists" (yes, they didn't seem to like the word extremist being attached to these people).

I am aware that there is much more evidence yet to be put forward in this case, but the few people I talked to, I gave a scenario that I thought was fair. I said;

If these people, were planning on purposefully killing innocent people, are they extremists?

And not one time did I recieve the answer I wanted.

I don't believe it is entirely wrong to concieve that agroup of people, joined together by their religion, could be a serious issue for our country as a whole.

Last edited:

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
when a bomb goes off in peak hour conditions, then the government conspirecy will be questioned

Generator

HSC
N/A
It's a bit hard to tackle the issue effectively when a number of Australian's muslims are unwilling to accept the fact that there are such things as a moderate, fundamentalist, extremist, etc. dimension to the practice of their faith. Also, though the actions of extremists may not be Islamic in nature according to the interpretation of the moderate majority, the fact of the matter is that such extremists identify with Islam, and as such their actions become associated with all who practice the belief (such guilt by association is apparent with all religions, it's just that at the moment it's far more noticeable in this particular case).

As you said, NTB, it's a difficult issue that isn't exactly helped by the way in which many are seeking to avoid critical debate by suggesting that it's society's, or the government's, fault alone.

Last edited:

firehose

HSC
This reaction seemed similar to the post-London bombings where many Muslims seemed more eager to blame the British Government for involvement in the "coalition of the willing" than the perpatrators themselves, as if they were to blame for it instead.....

And so the excuse continues here, that the anti-terror laws are unfairly targeting their community. I don't like some of the laws being passed there, but if it means that it will save lives by the foiling of an attack, then hell yeah it should be approved.

But at least not all Muslims are like those idiots who went and bashed up cameramen in Melbourne, which is a very good thing :rolleyes:

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
firehose said:
I don't like some of the laws being passed there, but if it means that it will save lives by the foiling of an attack, then hell yeah it should be approved.

yeh i support it to an extent, i admit, i do not know all the characteristics of the new anti-terrorist law, but i have a hard time sympathising with all the arguments against them, the ones that i've been presented with anyway.

If a terror suspect is innocent, then they will most likely be found innocent, imo who cares if they suffer a few days of fear, they shouldn't have acted in a certain way to attract police attention anyway.

scenario:

hippie: oh ur being really harsh LOL

howard: ok we wont be dat harsh anymorez keke

police: hey chief we suspect this guy of terrorism and....

cheif: no we have to be understanding and non-strict, leave it be until your concrete on it.

*suspect commits terror act, people die*

hippie: damn............LOL

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
hiphophooray123 said:
howard: ok we wont be dat harsh anymorez keke
hahaa - imagine if howard actually said that ^ :D

transcendent

HSC
N/A
when they originally introduced the anti-terrorism act i personally didn't have a problem with it. i just found it unfair when criticism against those who 'didn't' support the act started up. any policy introduced should be at least watched with a little scrutiny. the act does have the potential to be misused and it should be understood that policy should be introduced ONLY if it is necessary. but i'm glad the anti-terrorists acts were introduced and immediate action was taken against potential terrorists. if they are in fact guilty, than they should receive a harsh sentence.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
I don't believe it is entirely wrong to concieve that agroup of people, joined together by their religion, could be a serious issue for our country as a whole.
It's perhaps the first cultural group that Australia has been seriously concerned with. Mainly because they are group most likely to not adhere to Australia's baseline culture...probably because of their strict religious ambitions and ultra converative cultural beliefs which their religions dictates to as being unquestionable.

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
how fukn stupid were those muslims bashing the press with 10 cameras filming in melbourne yesterday.
Talk about asking for a criminal/civil assault/battery charge...

Lozacious

Banned
HSC
gordo said:
how fukn stupid were those muslims bashing the press with 10 cameras filming in melbourne yesterday.
Talk about asking for a criminal/civil assault/battery charge...
They'll get away with it.

Defence: not white.

It's an instituted defence you know ;)

K

katie_tully

Haha.
Did anybody happen to catch "Maggie" on the John Laws show yesterday?
Maggie was telling John that it's a conspiracy to make John Howard look good, and that they didn't find anything at all! And that you cannot arrest somebody for a crime if they didn't commit it. She said that she doesn't believe they found anything coz "you wouldn't be stupid enough to have chemicals and weapons in Sydney".

Ah. It was amusing. Scary though, because there is more than one Maggie adamant that this is one big anti Muslim conspiracy.

dannyr

HSC
N/A
On the anti terror laws, I support most of them, I think it can be only a good thing to catch terrorists and fully prosecute them... but sedition laws? I mean come on they are trying to gag opposition to the government... I don't see how someone who says the gov't is doing a bad job can be arrested as a form of terrorism? Does anyone else think this is the PM trying to get rid of opposition by getting rid of freedom of speech?

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
It is getting hard to justify my position on muslims in our country, at the current time. I am not talking about the fact that a terrorist attack was done, but the fact that all I have heard from every single muslim I have talked to so far is that it must be a government conspiracy... that the people involved aren't "extremists" (yes, they didn't seem to like the word extremist being attached to these people).

I am aware that there is much more evidence yet to be put forward in this case, but the few people I talked to, I gave a scenario that I thought was fair. I said;

If these people, were planning on purposefully killing innocent people, are they extremists?

i have to say i agree with you. plz dont see me as a racist freak ppl (and i'm trying to word ny response carefully), but in my opinion some people in the muslim community,as described above, really should take a step back and look at their faith objectively. as much as some may not want to admit, there definitely and obviously extremists in the Islamic faith, just as there are in other religions.
but then again, seeing it from their ponit of view, perhaps they DO realise these extremists exist but deny it to defend there religion (and rightly so) and as a reflex reaction to the lingering anti-muslim sentiment out there.

K

katie_tully

The problem with freedom of speech in relation to terrorism, is that they feel it will incite violence. I've noticed artists and actors have jumped on the "fuck Howard" bandwagon by saying the terrorism laws will restrict artistic freedom of speech. Personally I see no need for "pro" terrorist art in this country.
I also cannot understand why people honestly think the government is deliberately targeting Muslims, and that the recent raids were a conspiracy.

It works with this analogy. If you see a man down the street pointing a gun at a woman's head, do you wait until he has shot her before you arrest her? Why should we wait for a terrorist attack before we act? Now, if these people are innocent, why did they have chemicals and weapons? Come on!

HSC
katie_tully said:
I also cannot understand why people honestly think the government is deliberately targeting Muslims, and that the recent raids were a conspiracy.
agreed totally!! its a bit extreme (no pun intended) that there are ppl saying the raids are a conspiracy against australian muslims and that muslims are being targeted solely for the fact that they are who they are.

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:

um, you spoke to me and i never said it was a conspiracy
or that these dudez werent extremists
so why are you saying that every muslim you spoke to has said otehrwise?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
so why are you saying that every muslim you spoke to has said otehrwise?
Look at the date/time.
The main problem I had with you was that you didn't want to accept that there were alot of muslims at the moment that aren't angry at the government for the raids.

Skeeta

HSC
what i think some people havent yet understood, is that these arrests WERENT simply because these men are muslim. Yes they are muslim, but they have been arrested because of "terrorism" - if it was an asian or caucasian or christian or jew, they would be arrested under these laws

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
Somewhere yonder where the sun never rises
HSC
Skeeta said:
what i think some people havent yet understood, is that these arrests WERENT simply because these men are muslim. Yes they are muslim, but they have been arrested because of "terrorism" - if it was an asian or caucasian or christian or jew, they would be arrested under these laws
true, but the media is scanning for the words muslim and terror to put it in our face and muck up our picture further. i'm not entirely with either side, but it doesnt seem fair that a non-muslim terrorist would be on the tv for two days and a muslim terrorist would be on for a week. no one can deny that muslims attract more viewers on news, and that is what the greedy big guys want right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)