IT/SDD/COmputer study teachers (1 Viewer)

Static

HSC
Is it me? or are all computer related teachers the biggest shit kickers? I have never found a teacher that could acually teach in a formal matter, keep control of the class, and acually knew what they were talking about.

/end rant

what you guys think? hows your experiences?

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
Think of it this way, if they really did know anything, why are they teaching at a secondary school? It's even hard to get 'good' uni comp teachers.

BTW, prepare to teach yourself.

del

HSC
N/A
Good computer teachers who actually have industry skills do exist. The reason they teach rather than work in industry is 'cos they like it.

anyways maybe i'm one of the few.. had great comp. teachers in high school..... :)

sunny

meh.
HSC
My SDD teacher was really a woodwork teacher.

For relatively new subjects like SDD, there aren't that many experienced teachers out there because the subject is only several years old.

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by sunny
My SDD teacher was really a woodwork teacher.

For relatively new subjects like SDD, there aren't that many experienced teachers out there because the subject is only several years old.
if that's the case shouldn't the BOS be alerted and understand how rough we sdd students have it, they should at least make the course a little easier
or scale it better

Chand

Reflect the lights
HSC
My teacher knows his stuff when it comes to the theory, he can control the class (theres abt 8 of us) its just that some of us don't pay attention. But i agree hat there are some teachers who have no idea what they are teaching.

sunny

meh.
HSC
I think del would agree that its just making syllabus summary notes and practice past papers, especially scenarios.

Kn1ght_M4r3

heheh yeah del sent me a message already. Thanx for that del didnt get the chance to thank u so ill thank u kn0w :D
Alrite i guess its off to the practice papers for meeh then :chainsaw:
Well thanx for taken some time to answer me question guyz/gurls :wave:

Huy

HSC
N/A
my teacher, who i've had for 4 years now, relies on the textbook and notes from the boredofstudies+fatmuscle

the method?
re-typing the heinemann textbook onto overhead
re-formatting the style, using comic sans ms
using bulletpoints for paragraphs

getting people to write it out (write... not type!)
basically re-writing the textbook into our own exercise books

then it's "read pages x to y"
- which is what we had written/read earlier on in the lesson

followed by "answer Qx to Qy"

no control (unless you call yelling a method of control)
it's lousy ... but we get the work done :(

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
lol well my teacher = losted

knows nothing at all and can never answer a question without resulting to going thru a textbook to find an appropriate answer

if he doesnt know he makes it a little "trivia" for the rest of the class

then ppl start answering wot they think and the most common answer is the teachers final answer

fatmuscle

HSC
yes, do A LOT of IPT especially and SDD learning on your own if you feel you're not learning at school.

I had 1 good SDD teacher, but he moved to england. He knew so much stuff it wasn't funny. I was actually getting good marks?

Seriously use all your online computer resources like webopedia and howstuffworks.

They do help!!!

If any of you want to go really really indepth with the 'Communications' topic, I can give you some sampled material of the CISCO CCNA stuff that helps with the topic.

email me: fatmuscle@netscape.net with some distinct subject!

yoshi

I got 94 for SDD in the HSC (last year). I don't think you guys should rely on your teachers. Get used to how uni works and go make your own notes for everything. Sometimes a bad teacher is a mixed blessing.

I really think that how well you do in any subject has a lot to do with how much you enjoy it (not necessarily the entire subject matter). If you love programming, then you will already know most of the crap the syllabus wants you to know. It's just up to you to expand your vocabulary so it comes from your brain on to paper properly.

Practice writing your answers in a mini-essay structure (at least the paragraphs). I stuck to a simple structure - my point in a sentence or so, my proof of the point (with evidence from the real world), and relating the point to whatever the question wants.

Last edited:

Garick

wow, my teacher kicks arse.

he teaches engineering as well, but hes used computers for a loong time, so he picked bits and pieces of info before becoming an actual SDD teacher. since then he hasnt actually learned much on programming languages, but give him any code in a structured format, and he can understand what it does. He teaches us theory, but he realises how little we listen,so doesnt make a huge point to get our attention unless well completely fuck up the course unless we do. He lets us set due dates for assessments. He will join in when we make fun of people occasionally and finds a lot of the jokes we make hilarious.

He kicks arse not cause he knows everything, but because he uses what he knows for all its worth to help us out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)