IT Stuff Rules: Please read before posting! (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
Hi there, and welcome to the Bored of Studies IT Forum.

Before you ask a question or post in this forum, we’d appreciate if you read the following rules.

Forum Guidelines

1. This forum is, as the title suggests, for IT related discussion. Spam and/or irrelevant posts will be deleted on sight.

2. If you can’t answer a question, then don’t. There is no need to post “I’m not sure, sorry” posts, nor meaningless discussion that detracts from the original topic.

3. Links to or requests for Warez / Hacking / Cracking sites will not be tolerated, and will be deleted

4. Discussion of illegal (as well as the aforementioned) material will not be tolerated. These violate copyright laws and BoS does not endorse nor support this.

5. Stay on topic. A comment on your last family holiday does not belong in a topic on hardware. Unless of course the holiday was to obtain the hardware and contains all the relevant information including specifications and price.

6. Posts degrading or harassing another user, or deemed inappropriate for this forum will be deleted.

7. Manners are important. A little "Please" goes a long way. Demanding help goes a long way too, but in the wrong direction.

When Posting a Question

1. Please search before you post. Make sure you are searching the “IT Stuff” forum, not all of BoS. You can more than likely find answers to common problems rather than re-iterating the topic every few months.

2. Do not post hate threads (also known as Intel vs Amd or Windows vs Linux threads, et cetera). They only cause problems and will be deleted.

3. If you have a multitude of questions, post them all neatly in one post. No need to create five or six different posts for your questions.

4. Name the subject of your new topic according. “Help!!!” doesn’t assist anyone in finding it at a later stage. “Sound card problem” does.

5. Include the following information when you post your problem. It will save much time in helping you out
  • What Operating System you are running, and it’s version. For example if you are running Windows, please specify which version (eg. XP, or 98).
  • Basic computer specifications relevant to the problem. If it’s a graphics problem, please provide your video card model, et cetera.
  • Description of your problem
  • How often does it happen?
  • Can you reproduce the problem? If so, please tell us how, or if you cannot reproduce the problem, let us know that it is happening at random intervals.
  • When did this problem start? Did you install something and it happened? Remove something?
  • Was there an error message? If so, what was it?
  • If this isn’t a troubleshooting problem, rather that you have a problem in doing something, please let us know what you are trying to do, and the steps you have taken so far.
  • If possible, please attach a screenshot to your post. To do this, please press “Prt Scr” on your keyboard and open up any graphics program (Paint is fine). Go to Edit -> Paste, and then save the file as a GIF or JPEG. Then attach it to your post.

HijackThis and the posting of logs

If you wish to post your HijackThis log, please read the following before doing so, as it will speed up the answer time.

If you are POSTING a log..
  • ONLY post your log in ONE thread
  • Use the [ quote ] tags as they help differentiate the log from comments
  • After you've fixed some problems repost your log so we can verify it's clean and we can close the thread.
  • Please ensure you have the latest version of HijackThis.
  • That version is 1.99.1

If you are REPLYING to a log..
  • Please justify your reasoning for deleting an entry (eg. it's a trojan)
  • DO NOT comment on things YOU DO NOT KNOW ABOUT
  • Keep spam out of the threads - stay on topic
  • Don't rehash items that should be deleted. Once causes less confusion.

Summary!

We really do appreciate it when these guidelines are followed, and it makes everybody’s life 10x easier when trying to help you out. Remember, we don’t know what the problem is, or what steps you have taken to fix it. We’re not mind readers, you know! =P.

Kind Regards, and Happy Posting.

Your IT Mods,

MedNez / Sunny / Anti

Last edited by a moderator:

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Guidelines - Copyright Infringement

These guidelines supplement the original post concerning hyperlinking and copyright infringement available here.

Rules

No direct links to infringing material - you can provide direct links to Google, Limewire homepage, BitTorrent clients (not actual torrents), etc, but you can't provide links to particular tracks, albums or other infringing material.

No discussion on how to obtain infringing material - you can discuss the mere fact that people often pirate copyrighted material (necessary for debates on the topic), but you can't discuss or give directions on how to obtain infringing material. Note that non-infringing material (e.g. MP3s intentionally released online by an artist) is permissible.

Examples

Q: "How can I obtain a file sharing program?"
A: No mention of infringing material. This question can be validly answered with links to the homepages of P2P software, Google, etc.

Q: "Where can I download that great Crazy Frog song?"
A: Reference to infringing material. This question can only be answered with a suggestion to buy the music, or with reference to legal download sites (e.g. BigPond Music, Destra, Ninemsn, Mulemusic, Olympus Music), etc. This question cannot be answered with any reference to P2P software, Google, or any other illegal method of obtaining the material.

Q: I'm trying to download "Backstreet Boys - Incomplete" but every version seems to be corrupt... where can I get it; what do you suggest; what should I do; etc.
A: Reference to infringing material. This question can only be answered by a suggestion to buy the relevant single or album, or to visit the legal download sites referred to above, etc.

Q: I'm trying to download a file on Kazaa, but it always seems to be corrupt, what should I do?
A: No reference to infringing material. Any answer is permissible to this question.

Q: Where can I get the latest top 40 songs?
A: Infringing material, even though no specific track was named. This question can only be answered with reference to the legal download sites referred to above, etc.

You can see that, in general, if a question makes any reference to infringing material, the range of permissible answers is restricted. An answer will be impermissible if it encourages or sanctions piracy.

You're guaranteed to be safe if you don't refer to copyrighted material.

(This also applies to comments and remarks which aren't necessarily questions.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)