It's all in our hands (1 Viewer)

penguin.ali

HSC
Being someone who has been handwriting all my school work and notes for 13 years, I still find that after big sessions of writing my hands get very sore - even after sitting about ten past papers and such.

I understand that this stems from a mild form of rsi from my music and such, but nethertheless I have found it to be a distraction in exams, and I assume I'm not the only one.

So I've decided to post some exercises you can do with your hands in the exams.

1. Hold your writing arm out in front of you with your palm facing the back of the person in front of you - as if you are telling them to "talk to the hand"
Now take each finger of the outstretched hand and pull them back towards you gently one at a time. Hold for a couple seconds or until you feel a slight burn, then repeat for each finger, this stretches your knuckles.

2. Hold your writing arm out again like in the first exercise but this time grab the pad of your hand just under your fingers and pull back gently. This stretches yourforearm - which can get surprisingly sore after writing for a while.

I suggest you do these before your exams, as a sort of warm up. But please, don't pull back too hard, or you might do more harm than good!

Also, have a stress ball at home that you squeeze nightly - this keeps the blood flowing and helps calm nerves. And once again, don't be too hard!

And if push comes to shove and you're still getting hand pains - Voltaren - and lots of it!

Lastly, good luck everybody, and feel free to post some tips of your own [no smutty ones]

Top Secret

HSC
Thanks for that.

I would just add - practice maintaining full control of your hand over extended periods of time because sometimes in the exam, you get nervous, and try to write faster, which means you apply more pressure on the pen, and/or make more mistakes, and eventually does more harm than good.

Basically an extension of your idea of being calm; but it is very important.

hamm0ud

HSC
N/A
any tips on exercises for the mind?
I really haven't tried this myself, but why not give meditation a go?
You could look up some tut on the net on how to do it.
I don't how much good it is, but it seems interesting.

pman

Banned
HSC
meditation works as does progressive muscular relation and any other relaxation techniques you can think of

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)