Its Almost Over! (1 Viewer)

loveCLARA

HSC
There are two days left until the pip is due.
How's everyone going?
Almost done i hope?

LizzyWizzFizz

HSC
Hello!

I just have to do some footnoting then i'm done! I was just wondering if the whole 10% over the word limit thing applies to the central material? Cos i'm about 5 300 words long but if the 10% over applies than you can go up to 500 words over can't you? Do you get marks deducted for being over? I'm a bit worried, can anyone help me out?

-Lizzy

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
im pretty sure its ok so long as you haven't written complete dribble, i could be wrong though, anyone else know?

mollycoddle

HSC
My teacher told us that as long as it was relevant and interesting it didn't matter too much.

teach77

HSC
N/A
It is generally accepted that you may go 10% over the word limit for the short sections (log, intro and conclusion), however the central material allows such a wide lee-way (2500-5000 words) you should not go over 5000 words at all. If your central material is noticeably over 5000 words you can be marked down. Cut stuff out!

shcottie

HSC
GREAT! i finished it friday morning at 3am and handed it in 5 hours later.
Though I must admit, because of all this pipping I haven't been able to study for TRIALS next week arrrgh!

Btw, does anyone know if we get the mark for the PIP back?

THANKS

mollycoddle

HSC
You don't get the PIP mark back unfortunately.

Also, what kind of things have you guys put in your appendix?

Last edited:

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
mollycoddle said:
You don't get the PIP mark back unfortunately.

Also, what kind of things have you guys put in your appendix?
samples of my questionnairs

loveCLARA

HSC
To Lizzy,
I'm not sure. But i heard of the over 10% thing applies to other subjects. My teacher told me that it dosen't matter, just as long you don't go over the limit too much cos the markers are just going to use the set word count as a guide. But just don't make it too noticiable that you completly exceed the word limit.
Hope that helped.

Schottie,
Also, yeah you don't get the pip mark back unfortunately... you don't get any major marks either for any other subject except for ext 2 english. It sucks how you don't know how well you did for the pip aye, considering how much effort we put into them :(

teach77

HSC
N/A
loveCLARA said:
To Lizzy,
I'm not sure. But i heard of the over 10% thing applies to other subjects. My teacher told me that it dosen't matter, just as long you don't go over the limit too much cos the markers are just going to use the set word count as a guide. But just don't make it too noticiable that you completly exceed the word limit.
Hope that helped.

Schottie,
Also, yeah you don't get the pip mark back unfortunately... you don't get any major marks either for any other subject except for ext 2 english. It sucks how you don't know how well you did for the pip aye, considering how much effort we put into them :(
The 10% rule does NOT apply to the Central Material, as you're given a word count RANGE, not a word LIMIT. As an HSC marker, I can tell you from experience that we do mark down students who exceed the word limit in the central material. Don't take the risk!

As for getting the PIP mark back, actually your school can do this. Your Principal can access a document known as the 'Component Report' early next year which can tell your teachers roughly how much of your HSC mark was from the PIP and how much was from the exam. There are component reports for all subjects with practical components, llike Drama and VA. The marks you work out from this report aren't 100% accurate, but they do give you a pretty good idea of how you went in the PIP.
Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)