It's the course-not the UNI (1 Viewer)

David27

THose worried about going to the 'prestigious' university need not worry all that much.
I've been to both USyd & UNSW, and while I favour UNSW, you are really just a cog on the production line: they ship you in, move you along without that much care and attention, and graduate you in three years time. Inevitabley, such large campuses become a bit of a factory line.
The biggest issue should be the course you choose, not the University, neccessarily. I know a host of people who graduated from Melbourne University(supposedly in the top two or three unis in Aus)but find themselves working in hospitality with their 'prestigious' top name university degree well and truely tucked under their food aprons.
Just be sure the degree will be of 'use' whether it be from USyd or UWS. Prestige will count for nothing if your course is meaningless out there in the real world.
It's all very lovely to talk about 'generic transferrable skills' and all that other PR nonsense, but in the real world, it counts for nothing alot of the time.

sunny

meh.
HSC
I agree about the worry some people are having - although I favour UNSW as well, since I go there :)

But whether you're treated as though you're in a production line will large depend on yourself and how you choose to interact with people while you're at uni. I've found my experience at uni to be the opposite of this - very nice and helpful lecturers and tutors that are always (usually) available to have a chat about our work.

Dingo

Banned
yeah people have been givin me the shits saying why do i choose business at uws with a high uai.
and im like fark you ignorant mofos i cant get into business n e where else, and i dont wanna do no science subjects at usyd or uts or unsw neither do i wanna do n e engineeering at usyd ,uts, or unsw.

stoopid people just do anycourse as long as its a certain uni.
fark dat.
i'll do my business at uws
then transfer
rather than doing something i hate such as sceince at a prestigious uni and fail and have no chance of transfering options at all.

peace^^

Ribbon

The only time where I think this isn't true is in 'prestige' kindof courses eg, law, your chances of getting a job after graduation are MUCH higher when you come from a uni with that prestige factor, eg Usyd as opposed to UNE

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
Yeah, USYD law is really just based a lot on just prestige. I heard the quality of teaching is not as good as people think (especially compared to UNSW), and I've been to the St James campus (if you can call it one)...bit rundown. Apparently they're relocating the law school back to the Camperdown campus in a few years.

Last edited:

santaslayer

HSC
thats because USYD has like 800 people in their lecture rooms at one time.......

David27

USYD is, indeed, a rather shabby old place when you take a closer look. Some of the curriculum comes across as though it was written up in 1950 and hasn't changed much since then.
Open day at USYD, at least when I attended, amounted to a bagging of other institutions and how holier than thou they were. You never got much info about the actual course the lecturer was supposed to talk about. UNSW was a more friendly and up to date place.
Only thing against UNSW was alot of the students were quite dopey. USYD has a better quality of student.

routemarker

Looking for the Way out ?
HSC
Originally posted by santaslayer
thats because USYD has like 800 people in their lecture rooms at one time.......
i dont think USYD lecture theatres are that large. Actually the lecture theatres at USyd are usually over crowded with some ppl having to sit on the floor!

Dingo

Banned
yeah usyd is out of date
uws will rise and take over usyd in around 2025.
the future uni, for the new generation is on the rise..
and also uts, is always updating their courses, so they keep up to date with industry demand, unlike usyd... it sticks to its old syllabuses written more than 50 years ago... usyd is out of date.. Soon students will realise its out of date and will choose other more newer and up to date unis. i shall say no more..

peace^^

Ribbon

My sister did medical science at usyd a few years ago and said for such a prestigious university she wasn't so impressed with the quality of teaching...

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
yeah, pick on course, and don't bag others out when they don't pick on prestige like you, some people don't care.

JRasnier

also about picking courses, aint all that either, u have to also pick on course structure, ive seen courses for example bachelor of computer science, where one uni would be more programming orientated, and another more network orientated...but exact same name....but since one uni might be better then another, someone wont notice and would pick the more prestigious one which maybe programming, whereas they want networking...but just never looked at the structure...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)