ITT: The training we have taken to be safer on the roads. (1 Viewer)

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
What are you trying to get out of it?

If you want defensive driving, go for defensive driving courses typically intended for new drivers. If you're insured directly with AAMI (and not a subsidiary like Just Car) I believe it's free of charge and you get a discounted premium later on. Those courses tend to be mixture of theory and practice.

If you want performance driving, go to a tuning house or a track day organiser. These will teach you more about controlling your car and the limits of the systems as opposed to how to drive safely on the road lol.
On one hand I want to hit eastern creek and play casey stoner but I know that I'm nowhere near good enough to have as much fun on my bike as I can. In hte meantime, I want a full 8 hours on braking or steering or something.

It's something that I probably wouldn't pick up myself and would help a fuckload. And like graney pointed out, I'm scared of blowing $400 on a course that won't let me go faster than 30 in a carpark.
It was mostly practical. We spent most of the two days riding the bikes.

A postie bike with Aus post panniers equipped is 2/3rds the width of a yaris, a tank of a thing. With these panniers loaded up with 10kg each side, we were doing a cone weave which required you to go full lock right where you'd just clear the cone, then immediately full lock left to clear the next cone, then immediately opposite lock etc... for a row of cones. I only made it through without hitting a cone or putting my foot once.

Teaching you to do emergency stops from 60km/h, set up and brake, instead of the pussy 20 in the P's test (because so many emergency stops happen at 20km/h).

Practicing intentionally locking and unlocking the front brake on dirt.

etc

Stuff you wouldn't normally practice.

I imagine a paid course wouldn't be as good as the Aus post one though, since they're not even half the length, and they're probably not going to ask a customer to intentionally lock the brakes of their new R1 on dirt.

If you want to learn about handling, buy a dirt bike.
See that's what I want, to be able to do one of those hectic youtube police bike courses once I'm done with the training. Will probably start looking around for which courses offer what, but yeah, that auspost course seems mostly what I'd like to do.

EDIT: I think it was HART that let you putt around on hornet 600s on their track and work with heavy braking and countersteering, picking lines and changing them mid corner? Could be just in vic, but that seems a great place to blow money from where I'm sitting.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
On one hand I want to hit eastern creek and play casey stoner but I know that I'm nowhere near good enough to have as much fun on my bike as I can. In hte meantime, I want a full 8 hours on braking or steering or something.

It's something that I probably wouldn't pick up myself and would help a fuckload. And like graney pointed out, I'm scared of blowing $400 on a course that won't let me go faster than 30 in a carpark.
You'll find that most training (at least in my experience and what I read) is a combination of driving with an instructor, and DIY experience on the track in a wide open area. So when you say you want a full 8 hours, I think what you'll want is a bit of instruction in an environment where there are reduced hazards (i.e. not a public road) and the freedom to keep practicing and practicing until you feel you've gotten it downpat.

As for not going faster than 30 in a carpark- a skidpan isn't so bad. By using a wet road, they can simulate the loss of grip at lower speeds to teach you how to respond... all without the inherent dangers of doing the same exercise on a dry road at much higher speeds.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
ahh should've made it clear, I was looking for rider training courses. The mechanics of braking and steering change with higher speed on single track vehicles.

At one point me and a few mates all took our cars to an empty carpark and popped maccas trays under the back wheels and hooned around for a bit. Was 17 on Ps and learnt a fair bit about countersteering/braking/throttle in probably the dumbest environment I could've picked. Given I'd rather not write off a bike while mucking around in a carpark I'd like a chance to get some theory then try it out, and get tips/feedback on technique etc.

David Spade

Banned
HSC
N/A
trays under the back wheels on FWD
why have i never heard of this

fuck

this after noon

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
ahh should've made it clear, I was looking for rider training courses. The mechanics of braking and steering change with higher speed on single track vehicles.

At one point me and a few mates all took our cars to an empty carpark and popped maccas trays under the back wheels and hooned around for a bit. Was 17 on Ps and learnt a fair bit about countersteering/braking/throttle in probably the dumbest environment I could've picked. Given I'd rather not write off a bike while mucking around in a carpark I'd like a chance to get some theory then try it out, and get tips/feedback on technique etc.
Ahh I see. It's probably a very different experience for bikes purely because they can't sit with you in the car and point at the apex and say "PULL HANDBRAKE NOW! FULL THROTTLE! GO GO GO GO! STEER AWAY!! NOT TOO EARLY... CATCH IT.... NOW!"

THat being said, all driver training in controlled environments I feel is beneficial. Better than learning on the street.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
Not wanting to sound like a douche but in all honesty it's the most fun I've had behind the wheel. Drop the trays, reverse onto em then handbrake on and bobs your uncle. It's heaps easy to correct lines etc seeing as its fwd.

But yeah would much rather have done it on a skidpan

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Not wanting to sound like a douche but in all honesty it's the most fun I've had behind the wheel. Drop the trays, reverse onto em then handbrake on and bobs your uncle. It's heaps easy to correct lines etc seeing as its fwd.

But yeah would much rather have done it on a skidpan
Are you sure there are no other risks or implications of doing this? I'm going through my head and wondering if doing such a thing could damage my tyres or other parts of the AWD system. *shrugs*

David Spade

Banned
HSC
N/A
oh man im going to wreck my 206 i know it
how exciting

David Spade

Banned
HSC
N/A
Are you sure there are no other risks or implications of doing this? I'm going through my head and wondering if doing such a thing could damage my tyres or other parts of the AWD system. *shrugs*
id assume its only doable with FWD bro

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
What spade said, it was only a way to get around the fact that you couldn't really 'drift' on a FWD.
I don't imagine it being to healthy on the tires, and mine were bald and getting replaced in a month or two so I thought fuck it. The beauty of it was that you couldn't use the handbrake to throw yourself around a corner, it was all normal brake/throttle/steering.

As for the AWD thing, it *shouldn't* be a problem unless you have a limited slip diff. Full torque would be applied to the rear wheels but they wouldn't wreck anything trying to turn against the handbrake. But yeah you do have one so I honestly wouldn't try it. You also have AWD and it is beyond me why you'd want to do that anyway.

But if you're really bent on it, I hear civics are FWD.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
ps something like this would be ideal
http://ww w.hondampe.com.au/repository/motorcycles/training_licensing/nsw/Handling-Dynamics.aspx

just not sure on how much would get done in 4hrs in a group of 6

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Haha I think I'll pass on trying this even in my Civic... it may be FWD but last thing I want is a Maccas tray slipping up and knocking off my bodykit or something.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
My ol' EA falcon is good for skid pan XD. They love going sideways.

One of the only things they are good for.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
yeah will when im looking to book a spot
$130 seems cheap stay upright stuffs cost an arm and a leg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)