IUPAC nomenclature (1 Viewer)

Nelly_04

HSC
how do u address the dotpoint:

"identify the IUPAC nomenclature for straight chained alkanols from C1 to C8"

do u need to be able to draw the structural and molecular formulae? and what happens when you get to butanol and pentanol and so on, when there are isomers? will the molecular formula be different for the isomers?
also, what is the general formula for alkanols?

help would be much appreciated
thanx

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
i fink u will be told if u r to construct a structural formula on alkanols on which C is oh functional group at... aprt from, i haven't really seen any thing others than 1-alkanol...

kalinda

HSC
i think mainly you need to know the IUPAC names rather then the industrial or common names used

smegthehead

is chairman kaga
HSC
all that dot point means is that you have to be able to draw straight chained alcohols from C1 to C8 long, and be able to name drawings of alcohols from C1 to C8 long

mushroom_head

holey moley!
HSC
what's the difference between the IUPAC name, common name and systematic name???
eg. for ethene and ethylene
which is which?

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
IUPAC Name = Systematic Name, as the system used for systematic naming is IUPAC's.

For this case, ethene is a systematic name and ethylene is a common name. However, it is also an example of a compound where IUPAC accepts use of the common name.

Another is styrene, which has a systematic name of ethenylbenzene (or the semi-systematic phenylethene) - but everyone uses the common name, styrene.

milsey

Should we call it ethene or ethylene, did IUPAC change it to just ethylene this year?

Last edited:

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
The syllabus went to the trouble of changing all references in it to ethylene, if that makes your decision any easier.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)