I've messed up my Maths Ext 1 and Maths Ext 2 exams this term (badly). Is it still possible to get a 99 ATAR? (1 Viewer)

notneccesarily

HSC
Hi everyone,

I attend a selective school ranked in the top 50 and currently take the following subjects: English Adv, Math Ext 1, Math Ext 2, Biology, Physics, Chemistry.

My first exam results were pretty good. I ended up ranking top 20 in all of my subjects except Maths Ext 1 which was rank 32. However this term, I just got my Ext 1 maths results back and I got a below avg mark putting me at rank 50. Furthermore, my Ext 2 mark was exactly average and probably dropped my rank as well. I haven't gotten my other subjects back yet, but I'm hoping that I don't drop my rank any further.

I'm trying to get into Medicine at UNSW, and I know that it'll require a 99+ ATAR to make it in so I've been really anxious ever since I got these bad marks back. The Ext 1 Maths exam was weighed more than trials as well by a little bit which has got me even more worried.

Is it still realistic to aim for a 99 ATAR after these results?

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

HSC
It can still be possible, that is only 4 our of the 10 units. You've also got about 50% of your internals left so there is still time to pick up your rank. You could look at the band 6's in previous years compared to your rank.

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
This is honestly way too early to call. You're in a marathon and the instructor fired the gun and you've accidentally saw a baddie for a couple of seconds and that got u distracted, doesn't mean you can't catch up at all. If anything use it to your motivation and apply yourself a bit more.

You should ideally never worry about this since its not in your hands and even if you had to it wouldn't make sense worrying about this right now, this is something you'd think in T4 if you've fkd up all your exams/assignments.

I think you'll be fine for 99+, I've seen people who havent done well early on but came back with a 99+. I'm a personal example, I didn't top English right away (which I needed to, since I went to a rlly low ranking school) until T2 and I was on thin ice with the margins.

notneccesarily

HSC
This is honestly way too early to call. You're in a marathon and the instructor fired the gun and you've accidentally saw a baddie for a couple of seconds and that got u distracted, doesn't mean you can't catch up at all. If anything use it to your motivation and apply yourself a bit more.

You should ideally never worry about this since its not in your hands and even if you had to it wouldn't make sense worrying about this right now, this is something you'd think in T4 if you've fkd up all your exams/assignments.

I think you'll be fine for 99+, I've seen people who havent done well early on but came back with a 99+. I'm a personal example, I didn't top English right away (which I needed to, since I went to a rlly low ranking school) until T2 and I was on thin ice with the margins.
Thanks for the reassurance. I definitely need to pick these marks up next term

notneccesarily

HSC
It can still be possible, that is only 4 our of the 10 units. You've also got about 50% of your internals left so there is still time to pick up your rank. You could look at the band 6's in previous years compared to your rank.
Last couple of years we've had 35-40 band 6s in Ext 1 maths but only 5-7 in Ext 2 maths. It's always been my aim to stay in the top 30 for Ext 1 maths but I'm worried about how the weighing of this task is worth more than trials, and how messing this one up could mean my rank would be unrecoverable.

I appreciate everyones advice on this thread though and I'm not going to ponder on it further. Just going to make sure I don't do this bad next two tasks

HSC
ur just like me fr (i meant this in a funny but also in a-actually-way) but my rank's a bit more worse unfortunately :'D
we got this!!!

HSC
Hi everyone,

I attend a selective school ranked in the top 50 and currently take the following subjects: English Adv, Math Ext 1, Math Ext 2, Biology, Physics, Chemistry.

My first exam results were pretty good. I ended up ranking top 20 in all of my subjects except Maths Ext 1 which was rank 32. However this term, I just got my Ext 1 maths results back and I got a below avg mark putting me at rank 50. Furthermore, my Ext 2 mark was exactly average and probably dropped my rank as well. I haven't gotten my other subjects back yet, but I'm hoping that I don't drop my rank any further.

I'm trying to get into Medicine at UNSW, and I know that it'll require a 99+ ATAR to make it in so I've been really anxious ever since I got these bad marks back. The Ext 1 Maths exam was weighed more than trials as well by a little bit which has got me even more worried.

Is it still realistic to aim for a 99 ATAR after these results?
just chiming in but i remember i completely flunked my first 4u exam and i was like in the bottom range lol but i used it as motivation and got like top 10 for the next few exams incl trials. dw its not the end of the world and theres still so much time and opportunity to pull up ur marks and ranks :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)