J curve theory (1 Viewer)

espo14

Banned
hey guys,
whats the basic proposition of the J curve theory? cant seem to find the answer in my book..
thanks

~dEjA vOuX~

Home Brand
HSC
Do you have the first Bulmer book? I think it goes into detail about it in there...

Melz

--
HSC
why do you say the j-curve is no longer valid?

Nick

foregone conclusion
HSC
N/A
Keating thought that the J curve would solve australia's economic problems in the 1980s.. it didnt work.

wouldnt say its "no longer valid". It seems good in theory, just didnt work in practice.

J curve is no longer valid due to growth in Australian equity abroad. Increases in O/S Debt and debt serving from AUD depriciation is cancelled out by rise in our O/S Equity and increased returns from these overseas investments so Net Foreign Liabilities and Net Income is largely unchanged e.g. despite a 20% deprication of the AUD over 97-98, Net O/S Debt and Net Income actually fell slightly.

I don't think J curve is still in the syllabus.

olay

HSC
ermm. :S this forum always gives me the feeling i've been sleeping through all my economics lessons. so. the fact that the J curve is infact invalid would be a handy piece of information. but its still in my text book - we were discussing it today???? and my teacher said nothing about it not working in practise.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)