James Cook Universit (1 Viewer)

Season

HSC
Hi

Does anyone know what sort of requirements you'd need to get an interview at James Cook? I feel that if I got an interview I'd have a pretty good chance of getting in because I do have a genuine interest in Indigenous issues and have written and researched some children's books to prove it.

However it looks like my UAI is going to be about 95-96 and because I'm from ACT I'm not sure of my chances...

Can anyone shed some light on how James Cook issues interviews to people interstate....

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
unless u like tropical medicine and 99+... u dun look too good..

they arent as big on indigenous medicine compared to adelaide and UWA and Newcastle from what i gather.. but hey.. ure call

aussiechica7

HSC
ur from act... what rrma is the area you're from? that might b important

Season

HSC
I don't qualify as a remote or rural student, but I have lived in the country before... I'll see if I can use that to my advantage...

hmmm I always thought James cook were super indigenous focused... it says that on the application form, but I'm glad some other universities like it to because its definitely a problem that need addressing.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Yeah, it's 99+ for interstate applicants, one of my friends got an interview last year with 99.05, the cut-off is pretty high since they don't use the umat at all.

To be honest they prob wont even look at your interview/application form unless you get over the threshold.

aussiechica7

HSC
if u have other factors they're looking for, they'll lower the UAI you need a little. a rural indigenous person from rural qld got in with 94 or something... i think they lower the interstate cutoffs if the person is rural and/or indigenous as well.

billy_slater

HSC
Wooz said:
Yeah, it's 99+ for interstate applicants, one of my friends got an interview last year with 99.05, the cut-off is pretty high since they don't use the umat at all.

To be honest they prob wont even look at your interview/application form unless you get over the threshold.
yeah usually you do need a real high U.A.I. but thats not always the case eh. my friend (from sydney) got 96.something and he's doing first year med at JCU right now.. so dont lose hope. the application counts too, so if you nail that, and your uai is half decent then you got a good shot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)