James Ruse (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sponge123

HSC
I am a Year 10 2007 student who might be changing to James Ruse next year.

I was just wondering if all subjects is hard (further ahead than the average school) or is it just maths, and if so by how much? Do you recommend studying in the holidays beforehand?

Does anyone know anyone who changed from a local school to Ruse and how they did?

thanks

partelephant

Monkey on a Rock
HSC
Hmmm... "harder"... I dunno. Maths is definitely something that Ruse is quite a while ahead of everyone else in although at the beginning of year 11, they shove all the newbs into one class together so they can catch up together.

As for other subjects.. I'm not really too sure how much *harder* you can really get cos most of them are "descriptive subjects" i.e. you learn info rather than learn skills to apply imo.

As for how did people who came in from a local school go...it varies. Some of them can do exceedingly well and end up beating everyone else but some can also sort of "flop". It also depends on your own individual subject strengths.

Case in point - I know a person who came in Year 11 and for her first 3u maths assessment she got about 5/60, but she also topped Ancient History in that set of assessments. So you win some you lose some I guess

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
"I was just wondering if all subjects is hard"

I can see why you're hoping only maths is hard ;)

Aplus

HSC
N/A
They're definitely ahead in maths. I can't really say for other subjects but I expect the standard of expectation will be greater than what you've been used to.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
Enteebee said:
"I was just wondering if all subjects is hard"

I can see why you're hoping only maths is hard ;)
you don't have to be an allrounder to get into ruse. i've seen dudes doing esl english but killing it in 4u maths and science subjects in ruse, they are hailed like gods there. that's why it sucks and ruse's rep is going down fast.

partelephant

Monkey on a Rock
HSC
wuddie said:
i've seen dudes doing esl english but killing it in 4u maths and science subjects in ruse, they are hailed like gods there.
That's hardly a likely story - we aren't even ALLOWED to do anything lower than English Advanced.

Season

HSC
I'm sure if you can get into James Ruse then you're more then well equipped to deal with the level of work required.

I doubt they'd publish the lowest UAI but since the median UAI is 99.2... I'm guessing lowest UAI would hang around 97

I swear my UAI is looking more pathetic by the moment

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
phhht bullshit. if the median uai is 99.2, then anyone who walks into ruse will have 50% chance of getting 99+, and common sense tells you that's not the case. they do average about 20 odd people with a premiers award every yr, but they also do have a few dumbasses who simply do not deserve to be in a selective school at all. i've heard ruse graduates getting 60s and 70s. yea, surprising isn't it?

that's the thing i hate about selective school, the fact that they can't kick students out even though they are not up to scratch.

partelephant

Monkey on a Rock
HSC
wuddie said:
you want to bet?
No my friend, the question is do YOU want to bet. From someone who went to Ruse for 6 years, trust me, no-one from the school is allowed to do ESL or Standard English in the HSC.

wuddie said:
they do average about 20 odd people with a premiers award every yr
Try to get your facts straight; this year there were over 80 and on average there at least 60-70 annually.

I suggest that in the future you think about what you type before you post to save yourself from looking like a fool or that you stop "trolling".

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
ESL in Ruse? Isn't Ruse a selective school? English Advanced is the minimum for every selective school. Get your facts straight Wuddie. Partelephant, he's just a random.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Some selective schools offer Standard English, like Macquarie Fields ;)

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Kujah said:
Some selective schools offer Standard English, like Macquarie Fields ;)
Thanks for that Kujah.... Then the majority of selective schools only offer Advanced English, nothing less right?. I've got friends at Ruse and Baulkho and they say the minimum english they can do is Advanced, nothing lower.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Razizi said:
Thanks for that Kujah.... Then the majority of selective schools only offer Advanced English, nothing less right?. I've got friends at Ruse and Baulkho and they say the minimum english they can do is Advanced, nothing lower.
It's highly unlikely that people going to Ruse and Baulkho would be doing Standard anyway.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
wuddie said:
phhht bullshit. if the median uai is 99.2, then anyone who walks into ruse will have 50% chance of getting 99+, and common sense tells you that's not the case. they do average about 20 odd people with a premiers award every yr, but they also do have a few dumbasses who simply do not deserve to be in a selective school at all. i've heard ruse graduates getting 60s and 70s. yea, surprising isn't it?
No, that statistic is correct, for any given year, the median UAI is typically about 99.00. For 2005 it was 99.20. Yes, that means half of Ruse got above or equal to 99.20. It's a very skewed bell curve, which makes sense given it's selective nature. In 2004 the median was 99.55.

Ruse graduates often only get 80's and 90's but I have never heard of 60's and 70's and imagine they are once in a blue moon. But yeah, going to Ruse doesn't guarantee a UAI above 90.

Last edited:

HappyFeet

HSC
partelephant said:
Hmmm... "harder"... I dunno. Maths is definitely something that Ruse is quite a while ahead of everyone else in although at the beginning of year 11, they shove all the newbs into one class together so they can catch up together.
Except for 2008 where the shoved a newb Year 11 into Math 1...... Me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)