jane eyre essay (1 Viewer)

tamimitron

HSC
hey guys, I know that most of you are intellectual giants on this site and it would be appreciated if you could review my essay on Jane Eyre out of 15. my teachers gave me an 8 but they don't particularly like me, so another view on this would really help. :)

question:

in the context of your critical study. to what way does this section reflect your understanding of the key aspects of this text as a whole.

section:
He now turned quite from the moon and faced me.

"When I go to India, Jane, will I leave you! What! do you not go to India?"

"You said I could not unless I married you."

"And you will not marry me! You adhere to that resolution?"

Reader, do you know, as I do, what terror those cold people can put into the ice of their questions? How much of the fall of the avalanche is in their anger? of the breaking up of the frozen sea in their displeasure?

"No. St. John, I will not marry you. I adhere to my resolution."

The avalanche had shaken and slid a little forward, but it did not yet crash down.

"Once more, why this refusal?" he asked.

"Formerly," I answered, "because you did not love me; now, I reply, because you almost hate me. If I were to marry you, you would kill me. You are killing me now."

His lips and cheeks turned white--quite white.

"I SHOULD KILL YOU--I AM KILLING YOU? Your words are such as ought not to be used: violent, unfeminine, and untrue. They betray an unfortunate state of mind: they merit severe reproof: they would seem inexcusable, but that it is the duty of man to forgive his fellow even until seventy-and-seven times.

essay :

Charlotte Bronte’s Victorian novel, Jane Eyre explores the interplay between love, independence and alienation in the quest for one’s self-discovery. Through the use of various techniques such as symbolism, first person narration and dialogue, Bronte demonstrates the fundamental importance of love and independence and the detrimental effects of alienation on the journey to Jane’s maturation.

Independence is a key theme seen throughout literacy, Bronte also employs the theme of independence in this section. Bronte uses this theme, independence because of the effects janes independence has on her actions. This section of the text clearly shows independence through dialogue. Bronte portrays Jane’s independence through dialogue: “no St John, I will not marry you, I adhere to my resolution”, this quote has the effect of informing the audience that Jane will not give into male dominance. Bronte also uses the imagery as another technique to convey janes independence “I am no bird and no net ensnares me”, we see from this that that Bronte uses anthropomorphism to portray Jane as a bird, the use of bird imagery is effective because it reflects freedom and in this sections case, freedom of choice. Thus Bronte demonstrates the fundamental importance of independence in Jane’s journey to maturation.

Another key aspect in this novel is love. Bronte uses this aspect to bring in a sense of romanticism into the plot. It is seen throughout the novel, that Jane is in constant search of love without betraying her morals. This section clearly shows the idea of love versus duty. Bronte uses techniques such as first person narration to convey to the audience the emotions that Jane Eyre is going through “reader, do you know as I do, what terror those cold people can put into the ice of their question?” , through Bronte’s use of the word ‘reader’ at the start of the sentence, Bronte directly connects to the audience. We also see that Bronte uses verisimilitude in this section to further enhance the point that she is making; that the interplay between love and independence ultimately effects Jane’s decisions and this is turn aids Jane on her quest to self-maturation. Bronte also uses words such ‘cold’, ‘frozen’ and ‘avalanche’ to characterise St John , this is then juxtaposed with Jane’s spirit which is seen throughout the novel to be fiery. Therefore though the contrasting of these 2 characters . Bronte succeeds in informing the audience that love isn’t always perfect and can impair ones journey to self-maturation. Thus we see that the interplay between love and independence ultimately effects janes quest for self-discovery and maturation.

Alienation is another key aspect found throughout the novel. Bronte uses alienation because of the detrimental effects it has on ones journey to self-discovery. Alienation is key to the physical movements of Jane Eyre. Alienation is see from the beginning of the novel, through janes disconnection with the Reed family which ultimately leads to her movement to Lowood. Bronte uses symbolism to exemplify Jane’s alienation. Through the use of the red room which represents despair and isolation, Bronte portrays to her audience that Jane is alienated by her family at Gateshead. Alienation is also seen in this passage through the dialogue between Jane and St John “if I were to marry you. You would kill me, you are killing me now”. The effect of this quotation is to show that Jane does not connect to St John in the way that she connected with Rochester. By alienating Jane from her peers around her , Bronte develops Jane’s character and in turn helps her to discover herself and mature through these kinds of experiences. Thus we can see that the interplay between love and alienations affects the outcomes of the Jane’s life and helps her on the quest to self-discovery and maturation.

Therefore we see that Jane’s refusal of St John, showing independence coupled with the disconnection between Jane and St John portraying alienation along with the minimal love between the two, all in turn effect Jane eyres outcomes and this affects her quest to self-discovery and maturation. The interplay between these 3 elements all aid Jane in the journey to her maturation and self-discovery.

In conclusion we can see from this section of the text that key aspects are addressed; independence, love and alienation. These aspects are addressed in this passage through a number of literary techniques such as juxtaposition of St John and Jane, symbolism through the red room and the use of bird imagery to represent freedom. Through employing these techniques, Bronte explores the fundamental importance of love and independence and the detrimental effects of alienation on Jane’s quest for self-discovery and maturation.

I've attached the marking guidelines incase it's needed, sorry for it being upside down,

I know I'm not the best at essays but i actually think that this essay deserved more than an 8. :)

Attachments

Last edited:

Kowther

HSC
That's a great essay! All you need is your critics + personal interpretations and you're set

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)