Japan or Hawaii (1 Viewer)

milocole

Plane Nut
HSC
Wanting to go to either Japan, or Hawaii, in Feb2009(gap year!!). Can anyone share experiences on a better option, going by myself as well (Ins't Hawaii Expensive??)

Last edited:

bearpaw

HSC
theyre both expensive but i think japan is the lesser with the exchange closer to one for one

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
Hawaii is nice. Never been to Japan though. Anyway, loved Hawaii, even though Japan and Hawaii probably have the same proportion of Japanese people (OK, I exaggerate.. only a little).

Wayne Cordero is fuck crazy.

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
I'd definately go to Hawaii over Japan. So go for Hawaii! :D

dodgyv

CEO
HSC
depends what you like budz you like japan man i reckon theres so much 2 see hawaii if your the layedback type go 4 it

though i aint an expert go check out "Get away"

L-esky

HSC
I haven't been to Hawaii but I'd love to go there someday.
I've been to Japan twice though and I can honestly say it's a great place...I'd recommend anyone to go there.
But I guess it just depends on what you wanna do overseas.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
bearpaw said:
theyre both expensive but i think japan is the lesser with the exchange closer to one for one
...wtf? the AU-JP exchange rate is $1 to 1 Yen? Moar like $1 = Y100. Which also doesn't factor in the cost of living

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Both the exchange rates against the US dollar and Japanese Yen are very high at present.

Basically,
Hawaii:
Pros:
Lots of beaches
Laid back lifestyle

Cons:
Boring
Not that different culturally

Japan
Pros:
Easy to travel around Japan, and quite close to other countries
Very unique culture
Diverse variety of things to do
Cheap Spirits
Awesome clubbing
Japanese chicks will be gagging for white cock

Cons:
Culture shock
Many Japanese don't speak English
Get used to cramped places
Cost of living is high

Personally, I'd do Japan.

milocole

Plane Nut
HSC
its funny though, my family dont like Japan, so they dont want me to go there! WHAT THE HELL!!!(Most likely Jealous that Im going on a holiday, haha)

Anyway, Im having my gap year next year, and going overseas by myself. I still just cant wait to see my parent's faces when I show them my Flight Itineary that I have already booked!!! (ITS MY DAMN GAP YEAR WOMAN!!!)

Is there anyone else here that plan to travel when there only 18 and a half or nearly 19??

stazi

Nightman
HSC
no, when i was that age, I planned not to get a crappy UAI.

TDjie

♥ Hello ♥
HSC
Sorry this thread is a bit old but it's not too late to post a reply. You're certainly lucky to be able to have the opportunity to travel for a gap year, just make sure that you have every detail that can be planned, planned. I think that's the main tip to remember before going overseas as an 18/19 year old.

On the question of whether Hawaii or Japan, I personally would visit Hawaii just for the relaxation purposes after a long year. If you're a really independent person who enjoys the outdoors I think Hawaii is good - you've probably looked at alot of brochures but there is one here that is gives a good overview of the islands and what they offer: Hawaii Brochure
The only negative I think is not going with anyone else, Hawaii would probably best be enjoyed with friends since depending on what you're doing it seems to be alot more adventurous in activity.

Japan sounds more individualistic and rich in cultural heritage, and much more congested. I think this would be better for you if you plan to travel alone, but you would need to organise things like english translation if you aren't planning on joining a tour group. This is probably a small matter if you join a group.

It really bubbles down to whatever you're trying to get out of your trip, either way it's going to be different to your everyday. Have a great time!

stazi

Nightman
HSC
travbuddy.com is great for meeting people when abroad.

milocole

Plane Nut
HSC
After 12 or whatever years of school, I wanna relax, so Im off to Hawaii next Feb/March/April (Or whenever Jetstar decide to release a sale)

Plus Im a "Plane spotter/Plane freak" so Honolulu airport is good for Mainland america aircraft spotting

stazi

Nightman
HSC
milocole said:
After 12 or whatever years of school, I wanna relax, so Im off to Hawaii next Feb/March/April (Or whenever Jetstar decide to release a sale)

Plus Im a "Plane spotter/Plane freak" so Honolulu airport is good for Mainland america aircraft spotting
Honestly, why don't you just save some money and go to Fiji/Gold Coast or similar, if your priority is to relax? You can relax in Japan too: it's not all Tokyo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)