Japan (1 Viewer)

HSC
fatmuscle said:
when I went, there was 200Yen Big Macs (A$2.50) and 100Yen for 5 Nuggets (A$130)
aus $130????? or $1.30 lol
i'm planning to go with a friend at the end of next year. im freakin cos im scared that with my laidback aussie manner i might offend the people. can someone outline the japanese sense of etiquette and behaviour? is it necessary to bow in greeting and thanx, etc? hehe, any answers are greatly appreciated.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
From what I can tell you just make sure to use your manners and they are flattered if you try to speak their language rather than be arrogant and expect them to speak English to you.

fatmuscle

HSC
oops! yeah $1.30 not $130

just do what the japs do!

oh yeah, they have zebra crossings on the road. they're not pedestrial crossings like here.
wait for the lights before crossing :D

if you want to know more, get one of those lonely planet books

santaslayer

HSC
MiuMiu said:
How much is a typical meal going to set me back, Aussie dollar wise?

I don't really like Asian food but of course Im gonna have to try. And how much does a maccas meal work out to be?
The most expensive meal (that I saw) was the New burger meal deal thing. Sets you back at 560 YEN. That was about $6.90. Probably slightly more expensive than Australia I think. I'm not sure since I haven't had maccas in aus for quite a while. It was the cheapest thing in Narita airport. :p

fatmuscle, AKIHABARA was full of foriegners. Lot of indians/paks, americans etc..lol

but herd to buy electronic stuff. we cant buy their mobiles etc.. do they even have english version of windows? the only thing the tour guide told us to buy were cameras, misc computer stuff (mice, keyboard..)

buzzcut89

HSC
Went to Japan from November 10th - December 11th in 2005. It was heaps good.

Stayed with a host family for a month in the Okayama area. The food was interesting, and if you don't like rice (like I don't) then your screwed.
Theres convenient stores everywhere, as well as vending machines (there is at least a couple every 20metres. honest) which are really handy. They have Fanta and Coke and Diet Coke in their vending machines too btw. Ambasa is also a Japanese drink they have in their vending machines which tastes like creaming soda - not too bad either.

Yep the JR Rail Passes are really good. Once I thought I lost my rail pass in Kyoto, and for a one way trip which would take about an hour on the bullet train, it was going to cost me about $200. So by paying $360 for unlimited use of any JR train/ferry in japan, it is worth it.

They have McDonalds, KFC, "Mister Donut". Everything is in english pretty much (all of the shop names are). Umm...yepp some general dos and donts I picked up:

DONT EVER use sarcasm (they don't get sarcasm. got me in to a sticky situation once)

Dont blow your nose in public.
Dont walk and eat/drink at the same time, its like eating with your mouth open in Australia.
Dont dispresect their culture (especially in temples and shrines)

Generally, if you try to speak a little Japanese, even if it sucks like mine did at first, they will "bend over backwards" for you one might say...:)

Koire wa doko desu ka? - "how much is this?"
That is not how much is this. How much is this is "kore wa ikura desu ka?"

You basically said "where is this?"...but the other 2 phrases were good! Japanese is very difficult so to pick up anything at all is great work :D

Oh and if anyone is going to Japan, some phrases/words you should know are:

daijoobu = alright (they say daijoobu everywhere you go. very annoying)
daijoobu desu ka? = are you alright/ok?
kawaii = cute (all the girls say this one)
jihanki = vending machine
wakarimsen = i dont understand
kudasai = please
arigatoo = thankyou
sumimasen = excuse me (say it before asking for directions)
sumimasen ga, -place- wa doko desu ka? (excuse me but, where is -place-?

beccabum

hung up
in the outer suburbs of the middle of nowhere
HSC
my friend was there about a month ago... so jealous! SHe said the people there were incredibly nice even tho the only word she knew in japanese was thank you! You can get any drink in a can, including hot coffee!

The fashion in tokyo seems pretty out there from what i've heard. My aunt was in japan a year ago and brought me back a cute handbag and watch. they are sooooo cool but they are a bit wacky for what i usually have, but i like them all the same.

japan to me is at the same time so awesome and kind and so cruel. like they are so hospitable and like cutsie things yet continue to hunt whales. they're at the front of technology yet some live so traditionally eg as geishas. its just amazing contrasts.

buzzcut89

HSC
When I was in Japan last month - I was offered whale on 2 occasions. I told my host family that "In Australia, we are not allowed to kill whales and eat them"....

They laughed at me...!

Salima

HSC
Man you're in Japan, not Australia, if you poss your ideas on to them, or the ideas of the country you come from and use that as an excuse of course you'll get laughed at. It's Japan not Australia. Just say "No thank you, I do not wish to try whale."

buzzcut89

HSC
^I did say no thank you....I just added that in Australia it's illegal.

It was called conversation.

P

pLuvia

Japan is a cool place, just came back from there last Sunday. Really cold but really fun and interesting. Whoever has been seen the egg vending machine? or razor and toothpaste vending machine?

I went through an organisation called LABO, as and exchange student for 3 weeks during this holiday. My host was great, but really nearly all Japanese people are nice, and most know how to speak some kind of English.

Japan is a pretty organised place, trains are usually and always on time (unlike here :p), shops are levelled according to what they sell, usually food at the bottom floor. Millions of bicycles, because transport fee is really expensive there.

I lived near Kyoto, about one hour by train, unfortunately didn't get to go to Disneyland, so yeh dissappointed

buzzcut89

HSC
Egg Vending Machine??

Have to say I havn't...but I did see ice cream vending machines, fresh popcorn in a cup vending machines...and some other crazy ones too

And yeh trains are pretty much ALWAYS on time. The train I use to catch in peak hour was only ever late ONCE in a month...by 6 minutes so not very much at all.

AcStyle*

Believe in Desire
HSC
Just got back from Japan the other day as well...already planning another trip back.

Salima

HSC
Memoirs of a Geisha comes out tomorrow! WOOOOOOOOOOOH!
I have a firend goind there htis year. I am going to try and save money adn give it too him so he can buy me stuff.
I am going next year or the year after, hopefully. I am going to do it through my university, cause I'm studying the japanese language.

P

pLuvia

I saw a few, but yeh not many. There were some KFC as well.
They also have beer and cigarette vending machines which is stupid because the smoking age there is I think 20 y/o (someone confirm me on that)

Well the ladies there just would do anything to get a guys attention, I went to the snow and I saw a chick wearing a mini skirt, IN THE SNOW. And when it was like really cold where I lived, they wear skirts. lol

buzzcut89

HSC
^Smoking is 18. Drinking is 20 I'm pretty sure....

They have a fair few McDonalds...not many KFC....but yeh there was still a lot of McDonalds..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)